• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Darandio

Established Member
What about looking totally inept in the eyes of others when a forecasted 2-1 win became a 5-0 defeat in actuality.

Rolling eyes in your first post, words like 'inept' in this one? Making yourself look silly Paul, even sillier than someone making an innocent prediction.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Rolling eyes in your first post, words like 'inept' in this one? Making yourself look silly Paul, even sillier than someone making an innocent prediction.

The "rolling eyes" was a reflection on the need by that poster in his first posting to make a specific comment on the poorness of the Russian football team and of the forecasted 1-2 defeat, which in reality was a 5-0 win. All five of the Russian goals were well taken and would have looked well if scored in an English Premiership match.

The word "inept" was a self-criticism should I have ever indulged myself in such tomfoolery, which I assure you will never be seen to happen. Am I forbidden to use self-criticism?

There are those why may feel that my long-standing following of Hyde United make me "look silly", but at least my reports on their matches on this thread never indulge themselves in anything but a reflection of the actuality of the game that was played. There are those who make verbal attacks on neighbouring teams as being traditionalistic football banter, but I see no reason to ally myself to such hyperbole.

Darandio

Established Member
The "rolling eyes" was a reflection on the need by that poster in his first posting to make a specific comment on the poorness of the Russian football team and of the forecasted 1-2 defeat, which in reality was a 5-0 win. All five of the Russian goals were well taken and would have looked well if scored in an English Premiership match.

Russia have been diabolical for the past 6-8 months. That wasn't a loose comment, it was a fact shared by many, like me they were surprised yesterday.

The word "inept" was a self-criticism should I have ever indulged myself in such tomfoolery, which I assure you will never be seen to happen. Am I forbidden to use self-criticism?

Do what you want Paul. If you think making comments such as 'inept' (lack of skill, clumsy) towards someone making a throwaway score prediction then get on with it if it makes you feel better.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Russia have been diabolical for the past 6-8 months. That wasn't a loose comment, it was a fact shared by many, like me they were surprised yesterday.

What many forget is that Russia, being the host nation, would play in the opening match in front of their President and the TV world-wide audience. Do you honestly expect me to believe that any past lack of form by the Russian team would mirror itself in such an occasion?

Darandio

Established Member
What many forget is that Russia, being the host nation, would play in the opening match in front of their President and the TV world-wide audience. Do you honestly expect me to believe that any past lack of form by the Russian team would mirror itself in such an occasion?

I'm not sure I was expecting you to believe anything. It can often go the other way, the weight of expectation can destroy a team in such a situation and it's happened many times before. In reality Saudi Arabia were just as bad as Russia were good, if not more.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

There are those why may feel that my long-standing following of Hyde United make me "look silly", but at least my reports on their matches on this thread never indulge themselves in anything but a reflection of the actuality of the game that was played. There are those who make verbal attacks on neighbouring teams as being traditionalistic football banter, but I see no reason to ally myself to such hyperbole.

Silly.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

that means nowt. If they had played a good team rather than a completely useless one the result would have been different. Saudi Arabia failed spectacularly to do simple basic footballing jobs like defend their area and know when to play it out of the back and when to launch it. They were spectacularly poor at defending set pieces. The best word i can come up with to describe them is naive. The worst this board will allow is crap.

Russia scored some good goals but looked weak, especially at the back where they are relying on 38 year old Sergei Ignashevich. Love to see him isolated one on one or pulled out into a channel v a speed merchant. Russia are a poor team in poor form regardless of a 5-0 win over a very poor team.

They should make it out of the group if they get something off Egypt. The fixture computer has been kind in giving them Saudi Arabia then Egypt then Uruguay. Who knew..............

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
That means nowt. If they had played a good team rather than a completely useless one the result would have been different. Saudi Arabia failed spectacularly to do simple basic footballing jobs like defend their area and know when to play it out of the back and when to launch it. They were spectacularly poor at defending set pieces. The best word i can come up with to describe them is naive. The worst this board will allow is crap.

But it was not I who made the prediction that Saudi Arabia would win that match 2-1, whilst citing the paucity of the Russian team as the reason why this supposed loss would occur. In that predictive posting, no mention was made of the quality of the Saudi Arabia team nor of the reasons why they would win.

Darandio

Established Member
But it was not I who made the prediction that Saudi Arabia would win that match 2-1, whilst citing the paucity of the Russian team as the reason why this supposed loss would occur. In that predictive posting, no mention was made of the quality of the Saudi Arabia team nor of the reasons why they would win.

Do me a favour Paul. Give me a list of your posting requirements when making a prediction, that way i'll not fall foul of your rules in future. Thanks.

Groningen

Established Member
We (in the Netherlands) are glad that we do not play in Russia. Thanks to the MH 17 disaster. But this disaster has become even greater, because an artist from (the) Ukraine has designed a stamp for the WC 2018 in Russia with a footballplayer shooting at an aircraft.

xxl.jpg

Source: NOS

DarloRich

Veteran Member

h'way man! Here are my predictions on today games:

Egypt 1 v Uruguay 2
Morocco 1 v Iran 1
Spain 3 v Portugal 2

make of the what you will

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The commentator on the BBC described Luis Suarez as "looking like he's pulling a caravan" which just reminded me of the famous Alan Partridge "traction engine" remark.

So far we've seen diving and a goal that wasn't*. Egypt have picked a slightly under-strength side due to Salah having not fully recovered from his injury, though he is available from the bench. Hoping we might see the first Huddersfield Town player at a World Cup in a long long time (since Ray Wilson in 1962 I believe) if recent signing Ramadan Sobhi comes on during the second half.

*= clarification: the ball didn't actually go in, but narrowly missed and hit the side-netting. Despite the ball clearly rolling away from the goal afterwards, both of the "experts" on TV thought it had gone in.

EDIT: Despite being 0-0 right now, this is a far more entertaining game than yesterday's opener.

Last edited:

Pakenhamtrain

Fans down here are right now raging. Optus has the rights to most games to which you have to pay 15 dollars a month to access thier stream. Thier stream however is cutting out, low resolution and is generally hopeless.
SBS who normally does all games only has around 25 games on thier TV channel.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Fans down here are right now raging. Optus has the rights to most games to which you have to pay 15 dollars a month to access thier stream. Thier stream however is cutting out, low resolution and is generally hopeless.
SBS who normally does all games only has around 25 games on thier TV channel.
Out of curiosity, how easy is it to find unofficial streams via VPN down there?

Pakenhamtrain

Out of curiosity, how easy is it to find unofficial streams via VPN down there?
I think its easy enough. Ive never really looked. Most die hard fans would know considering the last two years EPL fans have had to find streams or pay for an optus(who won the rights for the EPL off Foxtel) account.

The reality is our 3rd world internet isnt up to streaming

thejuggler

I saw the first half of Uruguay Egypt in BBC UHD via youtube. Quite disappointed in the colours which were far from vivid. It was like watching through a tinted window.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Iran v Morocco is a surprisingly entertaining game so far, though short on goals. Those of a certain age will remember the goal scored by Iran's Medhi Mahdavikia against USA in France in 1998: one of the greatest World Cup goals ever.

The goal I'm thinking of was actually a different one... I should probably check these things before posting, rather than after! :oops:

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Agreed. They are in a group with Spain and Portugal so both have to try win this to have a chance of progression.

Darandio

Established Member
I saw the first half of Uruguay Egypt in BBC UHD via youtube. Quite disappointed in the colours which were far from vivid. It was like watching through a tinted window.

Were you watching it on a compatible UHD TV though?

Iskra

Established Member
Nacho was stupid to even attempt that ‘challenge,’ it was only going to end one way. Only got himself to blame.

thejuggler

Were you watching it on a compatible UHD TV though?

Yes. I've only had the TV a week. I think its just a case of getting used to having a more realistic picture, because it is very crisp and the colours are more natural.

My daughter is trying to watch Spain v Portugal, but even with 80 meg it does have to buffer occasionally.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Ronaldo, annoying though he is, is a remarkable player.

All the weird numerical coincidences with the hat-trick (51st of his career and 51st in World Cup history; goals today in the 4th, 44th and 88th minutes) make me suspect witchcraft! ;)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Ronaldo, annoying though he is, is a remarkable player.

All the weird numerical coincidences with the hat-trick (51st of his career and 51st in World Cup history; goals today in the 4th, 44th and 88th minutes) make me suspect witchcraft! ;)

Super duper Ron has a strike rate of 1 out of 50 ish for free kicks at championship games.