• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Darandio

Established Member
I’m not watching it, but do you mean the game’s been stopped for 28 minutes while they make a decision?
I generally don’t like VAR and think it’s a waste of time, unless it favours the team I’m supporting... :lol:

The clock is still ticking, time will be added on. :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Interesting. TV coverage has the replay available on a loop (he is still onside) but the referee has now finally been allowed to view the replay at pitchside. It doesn't work.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Interesting. TV coverage has the replay available on a loop (he is still onside) but the referee has now finally been allowed to view the replay at pitchside. It doesn't work.
That’s crazy.
Generally I’ve quite liked the decisions when it’s affected me. But this looked mad.

Darandio

Established Member
Match now suspended (possibly) and might be replayed (or carry on soon) presumably because the away team scored. All still undecided.

What has been established is that the North African fans have a large stockpile of 1998 laser pens with green lenses. They also have a good aim.

BlueFox

Anyone agree with VAR, or the time it takes for a decision?

No. But that's due to train timetables.

For a Saturday 3PM kick off at Leicester, the last train I can get home to Carlisle leaves Leicester at 1718 (with changes at Nuneaton, Crewe and Preston). It's around 25 minutes walk to the station, and I can't do it much quicker than that due to a mixture of fitness, fatness and dodgy knees.
If games end up finishing a few minutes later due to VAR I'll have to leave before the end to get to the station on time.
It didn't used to be that bad, until Virgin "improved" their timetable by going non-stop between London and Warrington on their Glasgow trains. It might have made the journey a bit quicker, but it made the last train of the day much earlier for people travelling north from the midlands.

Darandio

Established Member
The game stopped in the 62nd minute after the away team scored a perfectly legitimate goal. The home team have now been awarded the game and therefore the cup. o_O

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The game stopped in the 62nd minute after the away team scored a perfectly legitimate goal. The home team have now been awarded the game and therefore the cup. o_O
Good grief.
At least there isn’t an important game tomorrow...

The_Train

Established Member
I think that making a judgement on VAR based on football in areas where fans are well known for stopping matches is probably a little unfair.

I think that there can be improvements to the system (main one for me is the ability for us to hear communication between the TV ref and the on pitch ref - like they do in rugby and cricket) but generally I feel that it has worked quite well in the few matches I've seen it in. In the main, decisions have been made quickly enough so that it doesn't affect 'the flow' of a match too much and when you look at the Man City v Spurs CL semi final it shows that the biggest decisions, in the biggest of matches can be made spot on.

The_Train

Established Member
Is said CL Final available to view "free to air" anywhere ?

BT Sport showed the Europa League live via YouTube but doubt they are doing the same for a match like this.

Other than that, you're looking at 'alternative' ways of viewing it of which all will be illegal. Shame that free to air sport in this country has disappeared - I mean our national side are currently competing in a World Cup in cricket and even that isn't free to watch. Can't imagine many other countries where everyone is unable to watch the national side in a major tournament

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
BT Sport showed the Europa League live via YouTube but doubt they are doing the same for a match like this.

Other than that, you're looking at 'alternative' ways of viewing it of which all will be illegal. Shame that free to air sport in this country has disappeared - I mean our national side are currently competing in a World Cup in cricket and even that isn't free to watch. Can't imagine many other countries where everyone is unable to watch the national side in a major tournament
My son said that it was also available on YouTube. I’d be surprised if it was though?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I don’t believe it is available on YouTube. What you’ve been seeing are ads by BT Sport on YouTube, surely? They’re been on the front page for days.

The_Train

Established Member
My son said that it was also available on YouTube. I’d be surprised if it was though?

I don’t believe it is available on YouTube. What you’ve been seeing are ads by BT Sport on YouTube, surely? They’re been on the front page for days.

Just checked and it does appear to be being streamed on the BT YouTube channel. Says on the advert 'Live on our YouTube channel Saturday 1st June 6pm' and the stream is there but just with a countdown to 6pm at the moment

Darandio

Established Member
Mate was saying last night that BT have made it free to view on telly.

They kind of haven't. On TV it is available for BT Sport subscribers on BT and Sky platforms, but it is available for free to those with Virgin Media boxes and will be on channel 100. Historically they had shown it for free on the BT showcase channel on Freeview, but that is gone now.

The only other free way to watch it on a TV will be through Youtube on a Smart TV or via something like a Now TV box using the Youtube app.

The_Train

Established Member
The only other free way to watch it on a TV will be through Youtube on a Smart TV or via something like a Now TV box using the Youtube app.

Or via screen mirroring with a device that you can access YouTube from

Darandio

Established Member
Good grief.
At least there isn’t an important game tomorrow...

It was such a weird game, so gripping to watch even though no football was being played at that point. I notice that the BBC are reporting it this morning with an official take on things, but so much has been left out of the story.

It was 2-1 on aggregate and then Wydad Casablanca equalised but it was initially ruled out for an infringement. Replays on the tv coverage clearly showed that the goal should have stood and the Gambian referee signalled it was going to VAR. The problem is that he apparently knew before the game that VAR was broken but nobody else was told, including the players and coaching staff so when they found out they naturally protested.

Chaos ensued and there was a melee between both benches. The home crowd started raining objects down on the touchline and there were laser pens shining from all corners of the stadium. One of the Casablanca was incredibly angry and picked up many of the objects and directed them at opposition players and staff. At one point some children were brought in a line past the benches towards the tunnel and to the supporters credit, they did stop throwing things until the children were out of the way.

After about half an hour the CAF president made it to the pitch and spoke to the officials. Eventually he directed the referee to go and look at the VAR screen which we already know doesn't work. He looked at the screen for a while, went back on to the pitch and gave the VAR signal with his hands, blew his whistle but made no indication of a decision. Arguments started again.

I then switched off but the line this morning is that Esperance were awarded the game because Casablanca then refused to play. I'm not surprised and don't blame them really, this is the biggest game in African football and it was nothing short of a farce. CAF will now discuss it on Tuesday and Casablanca might also face a 2 year ban from the competition.

The_Train

Established Member
There is some sad news coming out of the football world as former Arsenal player Jose Antonio Reyes has died in a car crash at the age of 35 :'(

http://news.sky.com/story/former-arsenal-star-jose-antonio-reyes-35-dies-in-car-crash-11732866
Ex-Arsenal striker Jose Antonio Reyes, 35, has died in a car crash, his former club Sevilla FC has confirmed.

Posting an image of the club's crest with a black ribbon, the club said on Twitter: "We couldn't be confirming worse news. Beloved Sevilla star Jose Antonio Reyes has died in a traffic collision. Rest in peace."

Last edited by a moderator:

fowler9

Established Member
Interviewer: So, do you think you’re a Scouser now?
Jurgen Klopp: I know I’m a Scouser now.
Interviewer: How?
Jurgen Klopp: I’ve got a purple wheelie bin!

And that, ladies and gents, is why I love Jurgen Norbert Klopp.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
No. But that's due to train timetables.

For a Saturday 3PM kick off at Leicester, the last train I can get home to Carlisle leaves Leicester at 1718 (with changes at Nuneaton, Crewe and Preston). It's around 25 minutes walk to the station, and I can't do it much quicker than that due to a mixture of fitness, fatness and dodgy knees.
If games end up finishing a few minutes later due to VAR I'll have to leave before the end to get to the station on time.
It didn't used to be that bad, until Virgin "improved" their timetable by going non-stop between London and Warrington on their Glasgow trains. It might have made the journey a bit quicker, but it made the last train of the day much earlier for people travelling north from the midlands.

You will have to do what I often have to do: have a cab waiting at the ground to make sure you cstch the train.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It was such a weird game, so gripping to watch even though no football was being played at that point. I notice that the BBC are reporting it this morning with an official take on things, but so much has been left out of the story.

It was 2-1 on aggregate and then Wydad Casablanca equalised but it was initially ruled out for an infringement. Replays on the tv coverage clearly showed that the goal should have stood and the Gambian referee signalled it was going to VAR. The problem is that he apparently knew before the game that VAR was broken but nobody else was told, including the players and coaching staff so when they found out they naturally protested.

Chaos ensued and there was a melee between both benches. The home crowd started raining objects down on the touchline and there were laser pens shining from all corners of the stadium. One of the Casablanca was incredibly angry and picked up many of the objects and directed them at opposition players and staff. At one point some children were brought in a line past the benches towards the tunnel and to the supporters credit, they did stop throwing things until the children were out of the way.

After about half an hour the CAF president made it to the pitch and spoke to the officials. Eventually he directed the referee to go and look at the VAR screen which we already know doesn't work. He looked at the screen for a while, went back on to the pitch and gave the VAR signal with his hands, blew his whistle but made no indication of a decision. Arguments started again.

I then switched off but the line this morning is that Esperance were awarded the game because Casablanca then refused to play. I'm not surprised and don't blame them really, this is the biggest game in African football and it was nothing short of a farce. CAF will now discuss it on Tuesday and Casablanca might also face a 2 year ban from the competition.
Great match report Darandio! :smile:

The_Train

Established Member
Very poor first half in the final. Liverpool look very anti football and Spurs look very clueless. Here's hoping for a better 2nd 45 minutes

Kite159

Veteran Member
Well done on Liverpool on winning the European Cup, probably makes up for getting beaten to the premiership by Man City.

Samuel88

On Moderation
Great, we'll never hear the end of it! Knowing LFC fans, they'll still be talking about winning the Champions league trophy in 100 years time!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Great, we'll never hear the end of it! Knowing LFC fans, they'll still be talking about winning the Champions league trophy in 100 years time!

If Spuds had won it, we'll never hear the end of it, they would still be talking about it in 100 years time as well.:lol:

Karl

On Moderation
Great, we'll never hear the end of it!

Oh no! They've started already on 5 Live. We'll never hear the end of this. Freddie is belting out 'We Are The Champions' now. Yes, I'm bitter. Sorry folks. I'm a North Ender and I'm jealous :(