• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Karl

On Moderation
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0009sk5 appears to be the commentary from this evening’s match.
Found by going to the BBC Sounds website, looking for 5 Live and then the schedule for Wednesday.

Many thanks. I can't usually use iPlayer as I don't have a TV licence so I hope I'm okay listening to a radio broadcast.

In fact it was only a few days ago I got my 2 yearly email from TV Licencing asking me to confirm that I don't need a licence.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Many thanks. I can't usually use iPlayer as I don't have a TV licence so I hope I'm okay listening to a radio broadcast.

In fact it was only a few days ago I got my 2 yearly email from TV Licencing asking me to confirm that I don't need a licence.
You don't need a TV Licence to listen to Radio programmes on iPlayer.

I'm sure this was mentioned only a few days ago, but that may have been on the Huddersfield Town fans' forum and not on here, not had enough coffee yet!

Karl

On Moderation
I was too young, only 5, to remember "There are some people on the pitch. They think it's all over. It is now!!!" But this still gives me goosebumps. Give that man a knighthood!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Darlington 0 v Hereford 0. Darlo had all of the possession, loads of chances and were playing against 10 men for 70 minutes but could not break them down. Proverbial bus parking

On to Walsall next weekend in the FA Cup - nothing to lose there.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Brentford 0 - 1 Huddersfield Town

Fully expected our good run of form to come to an end today, unfortunately wasn't able to get a ticket for our last (unless we draw them in the cup) visit to Griffin Park... but surprisingly the Cowley brothers worked their magic once again and a Karlan Grant strike on 50mins saw us take all three points back up the M1.

Amazing that this is basically the same team that couldn't buy a win under the German clown Jan Siewert!

BlueFox

Brentford 0 - 1 Huddersfield Town

Fully expected our good run of form to come to an end today, unfortunately wasn't able to get a ticket for our last (unless we draw them in the cup) visit to Griffin Park... but surprisingly the Cowley brothers worked their magic once again and a Karlan Grant strike on 50mins saw us take all three points back up the M1.

Amazing that this is basically the same team that couldn't buy a win under the German clown Jan Siewert!

I thought odds of 13/2 on a Huddersfield win were very generous considering their recent form. I put the last 60p in my Ladbrokes account on it as it looked the best value bet of the weekend.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I thought odds of 13/2 on a Huddersfield win were very generous considering their recent form. I put the last 60p in my Ladbrokes account on it as it looked the best value bet of the weekend.
Us and Brentford were the two form teams in the division going into the game, so it was always going to be a tough one to call... glad we helped you with the win!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
VAR again proving itself to be a total mess and sucking all the fun out of the game. Firmino's disallowed goal for Liverpool was not only probably onside, it's also not a clear an obvious error, the VAR "reckoning" - many think wrongly - that he was offside by about a single millimetre. Deloufeu's ridiculous penalty at Watford was even worse.

scotrail158713

Established Member
VAR again proving itself to be a total mess and sucking all the fun out of the game. Firmino's disallowed goal for Liverpool was not only probably onside, it's also not a clear an obvious error, the VAR "reckoning" - many think wrongly - that he was offside by about a single millimetre. Deloufeu's ridiculous penalty at Watford was even worse.
Unfortunately now that VAR is in place offside by a millimetre will be given as offside. And factually it is giving the correct decision in these situations, so we can’t complain.
I’ve just seen the Watford penalty, and for me, it is a penalty. The defender kicks Deloufeu’s shin and is nowhere near the ball. Deloufeu not going down doesn’t matter for me. I know others on here will disagree though.

Pakenhamtrain

We had one in the Melbourne City v Wellington Phoenix game this afternoon where the nix player had the ball hit his chest only for the ref to call a penalty. VAR reviewed and agreed with the ref!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
When VAR was first suggested, it was mooted as being a "cure-all" solution- which it can't possibly ever be. Ultimately it is still human beings who make the final decision and as the saying goes, to err is human.

Darandio

Established Member
Absolutely horrific injury for Andre Gomes there but equally terrible refereeing. Son sets it in motion but the injury seems to be caused mainly by the fall and collision with Aurier. The referee is quite happy to deal with the incident with a yellow card until he sees the aftermath and is harangued by the Everton players so decides to give a red.

That isn't how a referee is supposed to make a decision. VAR has been utter garbage again as well.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Absolutely horrific injury for Andre Gomes there but equally terrible refereeing. Son sets it in motion but the injury seems to be caused mainly by the fall and collision with Aurier. The referee is quite happy to deal with the incident with a yellow card until he sees the aftermath and is harangued by the Everton players so decides to give a red.

That isn't how a referee is supposed to make a decision. VAR has been utter garbage again as well.
Couldn’t agree more.
I’m getting to the point of disliking VAR immensely. It just isn’t working well at the moment. We can only hope that things will improve, but so far it seems to making an absolute mess of things far too often.

Established Member
I don't think VAR is working either. I am in favour of the concept, but only when it is used correctly.

Yesterday in the game against Aston Villa, a perfectly legitimate Liverpool goal was ruled out because apparently Roberto Firmino's armpit was offside. I really cannot understand how that even works I'm afraid.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I don't think VAR is working either. I am in favour of the concept, but only when it is used correctly.

Yesterday in the game against Aston Villa, a perfectly legitimate Liverpool goal was ruled out because apparently Roberto Firmino's armpit was offside. I really cannot understand how that even works I'm afraid.
On offsides, I think now that we have VAR we need a more workable definition of what is and isn't offside. I'd argue that the decision should go on where a player's front foot is: if the front foot of an attacking player is goal-side of the last defender then that's offside. Any other body part, be it a head, armpit, torso or an arm (which obviously can't be used to play the ball anyway) should not constitute an offside.

scotrail158713

Established Member
On offsides, I think now that we have VAR we need a more workable definition of what is and isn't offside. I'd argue that the decision should go on where a player's front foot is: if the front foot of an attacking player is goal-side of the last defender then that's offside. Any other body part, be it a head, armpit, torso or an arm (which obviously can't be used to play the ball anyway) should not constitute an offside.
That’s covered in the Laws. Since you can’t use your hand or arm they can’t be offside - but any other body part can be.
(Attached is a screenshot from the relevant part in the Laws of the Game app)

Attachments

• 3C3C02BC-94DC-4E83-A0CF-EFBDEC379E61.png
    3C3C02BC-94DC-4E83-A0CF-EFBDEC379E61.png
    114.1 KB · Views: 3

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
That’s covered in the Laws. Since you can’t use your hand or arm they can’t be offside - but any other body part can be.
(Attached is a screenshot from the relevant part in the Laws of the Game app)
It does seem that the laws aren't being applied correctly then... both with regard to offsides (such as the Liverpool disallowed goal) and with red cards for serious foul play (the unfortunate Gomes incident, where it was clear that Son's actions did not directly cause the injury and there's no way he could have foreseen the injury).

In the latter case, it appears to me that the video referees reacted emotionally (understandable in the moment) rather than clinically. Hopefully the red card will be rescinded if appealed. Whilst it was a horrible injury and I hope that Gomes makes as speedy a recovery as possible, Son's conduct did not in my view constitute dangerous or reckless play.

On offsides, use of a planted front foot as the point a position is measured from would give a bit more clarity to decisions. Now that we have more accurate information in the form of the VAR footage, a "front foot" rule would make it easier for spectators, players and most importantly referees to make those calls.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I see that Hyde United suddenly experienced a dramatic loss of both confidence and form in the BetVictor Premier League when news filtered through to Ewen Fields that a certain pundit on this website ventured the opinion that non-league football was not worth reporting on this thread, causing the usual Hyde United website member to cease his postings on behalf of the club.

Karl

On Moderation
I see that Kyle Walker has now added yet another position to his existing ones after coming into goal as the third keeper for Manchester City in last night's Champions League match.

I think I heard on BBC Radio 5 Live that he's also played in goal for Everton during his time there? He'll be wanting the England goalie's job next!