• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

SteveM70

Established Member
I think Macc already have a suspended deduction hanging over them from their previous misdemeanours.

it’s a tough one - personally I’d prefer Stevenage to get relegated because they’re a nothing club, but on the other hand Macc would be a much closer and easier to get to away game next season (assuming we don’t get promoted)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VauxhallandI

Established Member
They had one deduction with another suspended that was then enacted. Not sure if they have a further amount hanging over them but it would seem so.

Whilst Stevenage would not be missed by many; its a terrible day out. I have to say that Macc have been a liability with dubious financial dealing going back ten years. My totally unbiased...opinion is that they are an accident thats already happened.

I would also be very interested to see if the Conference accept them into to their set up. Could be triple drop to the Northern Premier League which is traditionally their level and would suit them far better.

Cletus

Established Member
Not sure Macclesfield's level is the Northern League. They've been in the Conference or higher since the late 80's.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Macc have spent the majority of their history in the second level or below of semi-professional football. That is the NPL in today's money.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
I think you're wrong V&I. I can't remember any time in the last 50-60 years when Macclesfield have been lower than the fifth tier of English football. Remember the Cheshire League was the fifth tier until the formation of the NPL in 1968 - and the NPL was then the fifth tier until the formation of the Alliance Premier League in 1987.

Cletus

Established Member
The National League have moved forward finally

((not sure what stackpath means, but it's just a link)

Following a vote by all member Clubs, and subject to FA Council approval, the Vanarama National League, Vanarama National League North and Vanarama National League South seasons 2019/20 will be concluded with final league tables compiled on an “Unweighted Points Per Game” basis.

The outcome is Barrow AFC are champions of the Vanarama National League, King’s Lynn Town are champions of Vanarama National League North and Wealdstone are champions of Vanarama National League South.

The end of season Play-Offs will now proceed with the Clubs that qualify, subject to the competition rules and the applicable government guidance on the phased return of elite sport.

The number of Clubs to be relegated from the Vanarama National League will be determined so as to maintain a National Division of 24 Clubs after any relegation from EFL League Two, promotion to EFL League Two and promotion from the National League North and National League South divisions. There shall be no relegation from Vanarama National League North and Vanarama National League South.

Chief Executive Officer Michael Tattersall commented: “I congratulate each of our champions Clubs on their successful campaigns. The enforced curtailment of our season does nothing to discredit the quality of the football played and I am pleased that our Clubs have overwhelmingly supported the award of their titles. We can now also look towards the completion of end of season Play-Offs.”

Iskra

Established Member
David Luiz really is the gift that keeps on giving.

Horrific performance. I’m genuinely confused how he is a professional footballer based on that display.

I also thought that long-standing champions of fair play, Villa would have let Sheffield Utd score a goal after their blatant unsporting behaviour. Such hypocrites after last seasons occurrence at Elland Road. They are fastly becoming my most disliked club.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member

Geniunely might be the worst performance in premier league history. How is he still playing premier league football, an absolute liability whose only plus side is occasionally playing a long pass.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Well as an Arsenal fan, I'm now kind of wishing football didn't come back.
Since the shutdown, a number of different solutions were proposed to finish the season. As a Huddersfield fan it didn't escape my notice that playing the season out was the only one that could lead to possible relegation to the third-tier!

If we do end up going down, the post-Covid environment probably won't be a happy place for Huddersfield Town... but I'd rather things be settled "on the grass" as David Wagner would say, than on a spreadsheet.

SteveM70

Established Member
Have the play-off dates been announced for clubs involved in League 1, League 2 and National League play-offs?

For the national league they’ve announced they have to start by 18 July and be finished by 30 July, but no firm dates set yet. However the clubs seem to be reading that as quarter finals on the 18th

SteveM70

Established Member
I see goal line technology believed this didn’t cross the line

View attachment 79660

Not quite. They said the system couldn’t prove it went in. They also spouted some tripe about the seven cameras having their views “occluded” (oooooh, a techy word) by the posts (clearly crap as they’re always in the same place), goalkeeper (clearly crap as he was even further behind the line than the ball) and the defender (highly dubious).

The other massive failing is the VAR - they are trained to check everything, and one of their training scenarios is that GDS could have failed but nobody being aware of it. They should have intervened

Oh - and the BBC. Reporting that the ball “appeared to be behind the line”. Grow a pair and say it was behind the line

Last edited:

BlueFox

The other massive failing is the VAR - they are trained to check everything

VAR in the Premier League is only allowed to intervene in four different scenarios. Red cards, mistaken identity, penalties and goals.

The first three are irrelevant for this incident.

And the check they do for goals is after a goal has been awarded, to see if there has been an infringement in the build up.
When the VAR system was set up they didn't anticipate problems with the goal line technology so it wasn't one of the things they check for.

SteveM70

Established Member
When the VAR system was set up they didn't anticipate problems with the goal line technology so it wasn't one of the things they check for

That’s not true. When VAR was set up the training included a specific scenario around the goal line technology either being known to not be working, or to have failed. They had access to camera angles that would have demonstrated the ball crossed the line and should have used them.

BlueFox

That’s not true. When VAR was set up the training included a specific scenario around the goal line technology either being known to not be working, or to have failed. They had access to camera angles that would have demonstrated the ball crossed the line and should have used them.

Before the season started, the Premier League said VAR would only be used in the four scenarios I posted above.
They've made a statement today saying that under IFAB protocol VAR could have intervened, but chose not to.
The Premier League has not been following IFAB's protocol in other areas (flagging for offsides, for example)... It's as though they're making it up as they go along.

Karl

On Moderation
I'm angry! That goal should stand. United deserve the three points. Let's see the league show their balls and give Sheffield their deserve. It's disgusting :(

Minilad

Established Member
Horrific performance. I’m genuinely confused how he is a professional footballer based on that display.

I also thought that long-standing champions of fair play, Villa would have let Sheffield Utd score a goal after their blatant unsporting behaviour. Such hypocrites after last seasons occurrence at Elland Road. They are fastly becoming my most disliked club.

I'm surprised you could type that so well considering all those tears in your eyes

Minilad

Established Member
I'm angry! That goal should stand. United deserve the three points. Let's see the league show their balls and give Sheffield their deserve. It's disgusting :(

I agree that the goal should have stood but to say that automatically should give you the win is a bit OTT. What makes you think if it had have stood you would have won?

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

He's cost us an estimated £24,000,000. The mind boggles.

United deserve the three points. Let's see the league show their balls and give Sheffield their deserve. It's disgusting :(

Who's to say you'd have won if the goal had stood? Villa might have got out of second gear if they'd fallen behind. Annoying, but that's football.

If we do end up going down, the post-Covid environment probably won't be a happy place for Huddersfield Town... but I'd rather things be settled "on the grass" as David Wagner would say, than on a spreadsheet.

I'm a Bradford City fan first and foremost. The last two seasons have been an omnishambles. I'm just glad to get this season finished without having to watch that bunch of lazy useless morons again. It's a blessed relief to finish and release most of those oxygen thieves.

Hope Akpan a professional footballer? Don't make me laugh. I keep expecting Simon Brodkin to reveal he was a joke that went too far.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I think Macc already have a suspended deduction hanging over them from their previous misdemeanours.

it’s a tough one - personally I’d prefer Stevenage to get relegated because they’re a nothing club, but on the other hand Macc would be a much closer and easier to get to away game next season (assuming we don’t get promoted)

Had Macclesfield been deducted three points for the outstanding violation, noting the agreed points per game methodology, then relegation would have applied, but they were only deducted two points and fined £20,000, so remain a League 2 club.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Man Utd denied three points on their return to playing :s but mum's a Spurs fan so she'll take 1 point.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
I have always liked Ryan Fraser as a footballer and, as a fairly frequent visitor to Goodison Park, I am glad he is reportedly signing for Everton.

However his decision to walk out on Bournemouth in their hour of need, just to protect himself from injury by all accounts, is disgraceful. It is disloyalty of this sort turns that people against "prima donna" footballers. No doubt there will be a others like him.