• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Good on Brendan Rodgers: he's turned down the chance to speak with Liverpool about their vacant managerial position!

I would hope others will follow suit, Martinez included <D Their careers are worth more than those half-wits (sorry sonic2009 ;)).

The true character of an Everton fan.

Remember the old saying - give them enough rope and they will hang themselves.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Im going for these results today :

Blackpool 3 - 2 West Ham

Bayern 4 - 0 Chelsea twisted :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

WCMLaddict

I hope for Blackpool to win but I'm pretty sure West Ham will go through. They had no problems with Bpool during the season, Sam seems to know how to play them.

P.S. Sonic I sent you a PM few days ago, wondered if you saw it.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
But not in the FA Cup or league matches head to head :roll:

However Everton were still far and away the better team this season. You forget Liverpool also did the League double over Chelsea, and beat them in the Carling Cup, however I think we both know which is the better team this season.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
However Everton were still far and away the better team this season. You forget Liverpool also did the League double over Chelsea, and beat them in the Carling Cup, however I think we both know which is the better team this season.

The better team with better results, yes.

But not the bigger club. A club is so much more than the playing squad. Liverpool still remain (because of their history, fanbase, revenue and so on) one of the biggest clubs in Europe.

Ivo

Established Member
The true character of an Everton fan.

Remember the old saying - give them enough rope and they will hang themselves.

I don't know which is more appropriate here: :lol: or :p

The better team with better results, yes.

But not the bigger club. A club is so much more than the playing squad. Liverpool still remain (because of their history, fanbase, revenue and so on) one of the biggest clubs in Europe.

Sadly true :(

Only Sunderland managed more points of City this season than the 3 we managed. Does that make Sunderland the biggest team in the Prem? By contrast, United managed zero; does that make them smallest?

The average Everton player is not as good as the average Liverpool player. But we are a far better team, we have a very loyal, honest and reliable manager, and the players work together well. As a result, we might not be bigger, but we are better.

Back in the 80s there was only one club in Europe that were bigger (at the time) than Everton. It just had to be Liverpool <(

------------------

Oh, and Liverpudlians should be nice to us, whereas we don't have to be nice to you. Liverpool owe their existence to Everton after all! :lol;

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Back in the 80s there was only one club in Europe that were bigger (at the time) than Everton. It just had to be Liverpool <(

Is that a serious comment?

It's even debateable that Liverpool were the "biggest" club in Europe even in the 1980s. One of the most successful, yes.

Everton have never really ranked on the European scale at all.

Ivo

Established Member
Well, OK, maybe the term "biggest" isn't accurate. But overlooking the precise or pedantic meaning of the term, it isn't exactly easy to disagree - at the time, they were the top two in European football.

Phil6219

Everton have never really ranked on the European scale at all.

Because when Everton had the best chance in the European Cup all the English clubs were banned thanks to Liverpool.

Whatever though, I'm not a fan of either team though I prefer Everton to Liverpool, their fans are immensely loyal, they have ambition and thanks to their brilliant manager manage to put up a proper fight for a good place in the league and cup competitions on sod all of a budget. Liverpool in comparison think they should still be where they were in the 1980s and think everything has their name on it, then again the same could be said about Manchester United the only difference being is that for the past 20 years damn near everything has had their name on it.

As for City winning the League, Awesome. One of the best moments of my life so far, I know we do things the hard way but oh god never like that again please, it was worse than Gillingham in 1999. It was also excellent to see old baconface loose his smile when he heard we netted the winner.

Also well done to Crewe on getting to the Play-off finals.

Hoping Blackpool win tonight, unsure about the CL final.

Phil 8-)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Because when Everton had the best chance in the European Cup all the English clubs were banned thanks to Liverpool.

Liverpool were also banned - I'm sure if the Aldridge/Barnes/Beardsley team of the late 80s played in Europe Liverpool would have at least one more European Cup. Anyway...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well, OK, maybe the term "biggest" isn't accurate. But overlooking the precise or pedantic meaning of the term, it isn't exactly easy to disagree - at the time, they were the top two in European football.

No they weren't - have you no idea of the "classic" European sides of the 1980s??

AC Milan for a start.

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
Liverpool were also banned - I'm sure if the Aldridge/Barnes/Beardsley team of the late 80s played in Europe Liverpool would have at least one more European Cup.

The difference being that Liverpool deserved the ban. All of England were punished because of one club's stupidity. Their ban being one year long than others' was fully justified - but that was little consolation to a club that lost its best ever chance at the European Cup.

On that point, are you a Liverpool fan or something? No other club's supporters would have come out with all of this (not just the bit I've quoted).

We won the CWC in '85 with a team that was almost certainly stronger than the Liverpool team that year. That showed Everton could more than hold their own against the best of the era. Then, courtesy of the Heysel antics, we lost our chance to go one better and lift the big one. I would like to think that we could have beaten Steaua!

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Is AlterEgo a Liverpool fan or something? No other club's supporters would have come out with this.

Yes I am a Liverpool fan.

To suggest that at any point Everton were the "second biggest team" in Europe is frankly laughable. I think a great deal of football supporters who know their stuff would support this view.

I don't necessarily agree that Liverpool were ever the "biggest" club in Europe at any point either.

Football fans in this country seem to have no appreciation of footballing history, or realise that excellent football exists abroad.
We won the CWC in '85 with a team that was almost certainly stronger than the Liverpool team that year. That showed Everton could more than hold their own against the best of the era. Then, courtesy of the Heysel antics, we lost our chance to go one better and lift the big one. I would like to think that we could have beaten Red Star Belgrade (as they were known in 1986)!

By your definition, if Chelsea win the European Cup tonight that makes them the second biggest club in Europe - immediately. You cannot be serious. [/mcenroe]

A club's size doesn't depend entirely on on-field success. Chelsea are a damn big club, but here's a list of bigger clubs (IMO), even if Chelsea manage to win tonight (irrelevant):

Barcelona
Real Madrid
Manchester United
Arsenal
Liverpool
Juventus
Roma
Internazionale
AC Milan
Bayern Munich

...and possibly others.

Ivo

Established Member
I have already said that my using the word "bigger" was probably inaccurate.

But it works two ways. How big a club is can be measured both on its history and overall performance, and also how they were at the time in question. Consider all the Leeds arguments from previously in this thread: Leeds are a big club, but at present they are short of where they should be. As such, even though they are big, at present they don't appear to be "big". The reverse is true of City; at present, they have a bigger stature in the game than they would do if the term "big" is applied to the entire club's heritage.

As such, to use your Chelsea example, they have a bigger stature now than they do as far as heritage goes, and five years ago it was even more blatant. In the 80s, the same applied to Everton, and they probably had a stature within the European game that was second only to Liverpool.

That aside, I don't really wish to argue the case any more. I'm more interested in willing Blackpool to victory.

P.S.: I'm not sure I agree on Roma, but the other nine are definitely true.

EDIT: I have made a couple of edits because I mistakenly I thought Red Star won the '86 competition. It was actually Steaua Bucharest. Sorry!

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
1-1 in the Championship playoff final, makes things a lot more interesting
Surely the relative largeness of clubs can be determined by how many press inches they get. Headline Hogging Liverpool are evidently a big club

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Hibs 1-5 Hearts latest. Excellent 8-)
And West Ham lead with 3 mins to go.

Ivo

Established Member
Why did West Sham have to win? :cry:

I hope they get relegated next year - either by a country mile, or at the last second.

Butts

Veteran Member
Hibs 1-5 Hearts latest. Excellent 8-)
And West Ham lead with 3 mins to go.

Yes it was a bit of a struggle to trounce the Hibees but we just about managed it <D

Notice as at the 2006 semi most of them streamed out early once they were four down.

110 years and Hibs are still waiting.

The only shame is that idiot Romanov is disbanding the Hearts team by failing to retain the best players.

Rudeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee......a great Czech :p

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

I hope they get relegated next year - either by a country mile, or at the last second.

Still, on the bright side, there will be some interesting North-West matches in the Championship next year with Blackpool, Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers and Burnley all together again......all names beginning with "B", I have just realised...:D

EM2

Established Member

Because they scored the most goals in the game. They also finished the League in third, ten points clear of fourth, and had fewer defeats than any other team in the division.
Your bitterness does you no credit.

Eng274

Yes it was a bit of a struggle to trounce the Hibees but we just about managed it <D

Notice as at the 2006 semi most of them streamed out early once they were four down.

110 years and Hibs are still waiting.

The only shame is that idiot Romanov is disbanding the Hearts team by failing to retain the best players.

Rudeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee......a great Czech :p

A team disbanded and filled with bairns. Still, I'd rather support a team that loses the odd cup final, than a financial circus act and a morally bereft football club that harbours convicted sex offenders.

EM2

Established Member
Can't believe Sam Allardyce is a Premier league manager again. :-x<(

Terrible state of affairs that.

Have either of you actually watched West Ham this season?
Beat Watford 4-0, Forest 4-1, Blackpool 4-0 and 4-1, Cardiff 2-0, 2-0 and 3-0, Barnsley 4-0, Brighton 6-0,
Yes, some of the performances haven't been the best (but neither have some of those of Man City, Chelsea, Man United, or dare I say Newcastle) but some have been fantastic, Brighton, Barnsley and Blackpool were absolutely destroyed.
I wasn't happy when he was appointed but he's proved me wrong.

SS4

Established Member
Beat Watford 4-0, Forest 4-1, Blackpool 4-0 and 4-1, Cardiff 2-0, 2-0 and 3-0, Barnsley 4-0, Brighton 6-0,
Yes, some of the performances haven't been the best (but neither have some of those of Man City, Chelsea, Man United, or dare I say Newcastle) but some have been fantastic, Brighton, Barnsley and Blackpool were absolutely destroyed.

You also drew fourteen games which is probably what cost automatic promotion :p. You weren't happy with him three days ago either ;)

Still, at least a claret and blue team got promoted and with the ex-blues owners lol
Meanwhile in Champions League news I do hope Bayern win
For those wanting Chelsea to win because they're the English team consider the following:
English players in Chelsea's XI: 3
German players in Munich's XI: 5 (at least, I'm not 100% on some nationalities)
Anyone else just notice 5 Live's backtracking there. Serves them right for being biased :lol:

Last edited:

EM2

Established Member
You also drew fourteen games which is probably what cost automatic promotion :p. You weren't happy with him three days ago either ;)

Still, at least a claret and blue team got promoted and with the ex-blues owners lol
Yes, those draws pretty much are the performances I meant ;)
And as for Sam, I'd still rather he wasn't there. He's not suited to the club, he hasn't (in the main) done what he said he would, in terms of style of play. If he leaves, I won't shed any tears, but I won't complain (too much) if he stays.

valenta

I still don't agree with his style of football, long balls through the air frequently provide for boring games. Perhaps Allardyce's tactics work for the Championship (but I still feel West Ham have under performed this season) however I don't think that these tactics are proven to work in the Premiership.

EM2

Established Member
I still don't agree with his style of football, long balls through the air frequently provide for boring games. Perhaps Allardyce's tactics work for the Championship (but I still feel West Ham have under performed this season) however I don't think that these tactics are proven to work in the Premiership.

Neither did I, but many performances haven't been like that, especially in the latter part of the season and especially the ones I alluded to earlier (Blackpool, Brighton, Barnsley, even Cardiff in the semis).