• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not sure what you are trying to imply here, especially as the red card against Liam Hughes has rightfully been rescinded by the F.A.

A few years ago, didn't one of their players serve a prison sentence following a violent incident during an FA Cup game? Supporters of other conference sides seem to believe that Barrow's reputation is fitting (admittedly this is all anecdotal).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clansman

Established Member
I'm sure there are plenty of Scottish Supporters who would willingly part with cash for it. :p

Sorry, did I hear the possibility of a spare ticket? Hint hint
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'd personally give 125 quid to anyone selling 2 (or 1) Scotland end tickets

Long shot but if you dont ask you dont get :D

Antman

Established Member
A few years ago, didn't one of their players serve a prison sentence following a violent incident during an FA Cup game? Supporters of other conference sides seem to believe that Barrow's reputation is fitting (admittedly this is all anecdotal).

Yes indeed, the referee missed it but it was caught by MOTD cameras, the victim sustained a broken jaw.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Last edited:

96tommy

Just got back from the match, atmosphere at Wembley was great for a change and England were deserved winners. 3 shots on target and 3 goals, clinical stuff.

richw

Veteran Member
And yet negativity on Facebook posts by the BBC sport team is rife as always.

Gary Cahill spoke something that stood out about Southgate, and that he has the fairly recent experience of playing for England so understands the pressures on the players and has helped calm that.
This is something none of the recent managers have had.

familyguy99

BBC will show live, the FA Cup second round match between Macclesfield Town and Oxford United, on Friday, 2nd December.

Nice to see BT have choice Lincoln v Oldham match for one of live matches, £72.000 will be welcome bonus for both of them teams. Also nice to see Curzon Ashton match have been choice aswell (that if they beat Westfield in replay) as sure TV money will do them well too.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2016/nov/11/the-emirates-fa-cup-second-round-tv-games-111116

Oldham 0-0 AFC Wimbledon

Sound like fair results were match needed goal, our best chance came in last few mins where we hit crossbar and then one of our defender put ball over the bar from 5 yards out.

Last edited:

96tommy

Went to Eastliegh v York today, having gotten £3.30 tickets each way from Victoria to Southampton Central. A check of RTT showed me my train was one of only a few to reach Southampton from Victoria and many I know missed kick off due to the problems at Walton on Thames. The journey back was meant to see me leave SOuthampton at 19:09 and get back to Victoria at 21:30 (as I write this) but checking RTT I discovered this was cancelled early on so headed to Basingstoke, then Clapham then Victoria and back in Whitechapel for 8:45, 45 minutes before I would have even arrived at Victoria!

The match saw Eastleigh dominate us from kick off to full time, how we got a 1-1 draw I will never know. It was our 13th game without a win but we haven't won away since way back at the beginning of 15/16 and we were all expecting a heavy loss, that didn't stop 250 York fans making the 500 mile round trip though. I believe it was our only shot on target and din't come until the 80th minute but I can't complain at a draw. However, we are now out the relegation zone on goal difference only, which of a club with as the chairman says a League 1 set up is not where we should be. The fact we could be playing the likes of Stalybridge, Nuneaton and CHorley next year are very chilling.

125Forever

Currently flit between Blackpool and South Wales
Went to Eastliegh v York today, having gotten £3.30 tickets each way from Victoria to Southampton Central. A check of RTT showed me my train was one of only a few to reach Southampton from Victoria and many I know missed kick off due to the problems at Walton on Thames. The journey back was meant to see me leave SOuthampton at 19:09 and get back to Victoria at 21:30 (as I write this) but checking RTT I discovered this was cancelled early on so headed to Basingstoke, then Clapham then Victoria and back in Whitechapel for 8:45, 45 minutes before I would have even arrived at Victoria!

The match saw Eastleigh dominate us from kick off to full time, how we got a 1-1 draw I will never know. It was our 13th game without a win but we haven't won away since way back at the beginning of 15/16 and we were all expecting a heavy loss, that didn't stop 250 York fans making the 500 mile round trip though. I believe it was our only shot on target and din't come until the 80th minute but I can't complain at a draw. However, we are now out the relegation zone on goal difference only, which of a club with as the chairman says a League 1 set up is not where we should be. The fact we could be playing the likes of Stalybridge, Nuneaton and CHorley next year are very chilling.

Plus one very long away trip to Gloucester!
Bales 1-1 Serbia

Gareth Bale opened the scoring, but Mitrovic equalised shortly before the end.

1-1 is not too bad, but the boys in red need to start winning again.

Drogba11CFC

Phoenix Sports 1...Winchester City 3 (Fairweather-Johnson 31, Probets s/o 24; Feeney pen 24, 69, Jenkinson 34)

Winchester City made it to the third qualifying round of the FA Trophy for the very first time. The game was evenly matched to start with but a goalbound shot from Jenkinson struck the arm of the hosts' #3, resulting in a penalty and a red card. City converted and although the hosts scored a spectacular equaliser, City retook the lead from a freekick which evaded everyone from a narrow angle. Craig Feeney doubled his tally with 20 minutes left in a game where City could have had 5 or 6.

Other Results:

FA Trophy:

Bishops Cleeve 0...Taunton Town 1

Folkestone Invicta 2...North Leigh 3

Royston Town 4...Wimborne Town 0

SLSW:

Bideford 4...Swindon Supermarine 0

Bridgwater Town 2...Wantage Town 3

Didcot Town 1...Barnstaple Town 0

Hereford 2...Shortwood United 0

Mangotsfield United 3...AFC Totton 0

Paulton Rovers 1...Slimbridge 3

Salisbury 1...Tiverton Town 2

Table:
1. Hereford 16/44
--------------------------------
2. Tiverton Town 16/34
3. Mangotsfield United 16/33
4. Shortwood United 16/32
5. Evesham United 14/30
---------------------------------
6. Swindon Supermarine 16/27
12. Didcot Town 16/20
13. Slimbridge 17/18
14. Winchester City 14/16
15. Taunton Town 11/15*
18. Yate Town 15/14
19. Paulton Rovers 14/13
20. AFC Totton 15/11
-----------------------------------
21. Wantage Town 16/8
22. Bridgwater Town 16/7

*Taunton Town deducted 3 points for fielding an ineligible player

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Good to see Tiverton town do well, they had some great times in the 90s

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
There must be a cloud of embarrassment hanging over the Notts County dressing room after their recent bad form and manager John Sheridan let his feelings show after the latest match, a 4-0 defeat by Blackpool, by saying that the side on present form could not beat a pub team.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
A decent 1-1 draw for Darlo v money bags Flyde. It really should have been all three points but a last minute winner was chalked off for off side.

I really thought we might get found out against a professional side (we aren't pro and cant afford it) but we outplayed them for long periods and should have taken more than a point. A good response to our defeat at Tamworth last weekend.

The fact we could be playing the likes of Stalybridge, Nuneaton and CHorley next year are very chilling.

The way we are going we might swap places ;)

Plus one very long away trip to Gloucester!

it is slightly less of a trip as they play at Cheltenham ;)

richw

Veteran Member
What has Mr Southgate done to England. near enough what I would call a first team for the first half and we have played good football, the tactical set up is near perfect to counteract the known Spanish tactic.

We cant be having this from an England manager.

Its half time England 1 Spain 0. I gather there will be a lot of changes at half time hence commenting now and not at full time!
2-0 Vardy just broke his 14 game goal draught.
89 mins Iago Aspas scored a wonderful goal Eng 2 Spa 1.
First team since Iceland to score against England.
96th minute equaliser for Spain.
Disappointing to draw, but many positives for sure.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
What has Mr Southgate done to England. near enough what I would call a first team for the first half and we have played good football, the tactical set up is near perfect to counteract the known Spanish tactic.

We cant be having this from an England manager.

Its half time England 1 Spain 0. I gather there will be a lot of changes at half time hence commenting now and not at full time!
2-0 Vardy just broke his 14 game goal draught.
89 mins Iago Aspas scored a wonderful goal Eng 2 Spa 1.
First team since Iceland to score against England.
96th minute equaliser for Spain.
Disappointing to draw, but many positives for sure.

A friendly against a third string Spanish team. It is meaningless and we will fail as usual at a big tournament

Drogba11CFC

Winchester City 1...North Leigh 2 (Roberts 26; Woodley 20, 82)

Winchester City were made to pay for missing several chances as the visitors took all three points. They went ahead after 20 minutes with a free header before City equalised six minutes later. City then missed two good chances and forced a string of saves from the visiting keeper after the break before the hosts scored on the counter to seal the win with eight minutes to go.

Other Results:

Tuesday:

FA Cup:

Barrow 2...Taunton Town 1

SLSW:

Evesham United 4...Bishops Cleeve 2

League Challenge Cup:

Paulton Rovers 1...Weymouth 1 (Paulton Rovers win 4-3 on penalties)

Shortwood United 2...Larkhall Athletic 2 (Shortwood United win 4-3 on penalties)

Table:

1. Hereford 16/44
--------------------------------
2. Tiverton Town 16/34
3. Evesham United 15/33
4. Mangotsfield United 16/33
5. Shortwood United 16/32
---------------------------------
6. Swindon Supermarine 16/27
10. North Leigh 14/23
11. Larkhall Athletic 16/21
12. Didcot Town 16/20
13. Slimbridge 17/18
14. Winchester City 15/16
19. Paulton Rovers 14/13
20. AFC Totton 15/11
----------------------------------
21. Wantage Town 16/8
22. Bridgwater Town 16/7

Last edited:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
News just in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37972265

Fifa has opened disciplinary proceedings against England and Scotland for wearing poppies in Friday's World Cup qualifier.

Players from both countries wore black armbands bearing a poppy during England's 3-0 win at Wembley, with the game taking place on Armistice Day.

Rules forbid "political" statements on shirts.

Fifa, world football's governing body, would not "speculate on any outcome or provide an estimated timeline".

How did this situation arise?

The idea of players wearing a poppy was raised before the two nations met on 11 November, the day when the United Kingdom traditionally remembers those who have died in conflict.

According to the rule-making International Football Association Board (IFAB), which includes members of the four British football associations, players cannot wear "political, religious or personal slogans, statements or images".

The compromise of wearing a printed poppy on an armband was brokered for England's 1-0 friendly win over Spain at Wembley on 12 November, 2011.

In the same year, Scotland players wore poppies on armbands and on their tracksuits in a match against Cyprus.

However, world football's governing body would not specify before Friday's fixture whether England or Scotland would face punishment for doing so this time around.

What did the home nations say?

MP Damian Collins - chair of the Culture, Media and Sport select committee - wrote to Fifa president Gianni Infantino asking the world governing body to reconsider its decision.

English Football Association chief executive Martin Glenn said players from both sides would wear black armbands carrying the poppy "as a point of principle".

Meanwhile, chief executive of the Scottish Football Association Stewart Regan said before the match it was prepared to challenge any Fifa sanction imposed.

Fifa says it reminded the four football associations of the rules - though the Football Association of Wales (FAW) said Fifa "turned down a request for the Wales national team to wear poppies on their shirts or on armbands".

The FAW said it could not risk a financial penalty or point deduction.

What did Fifa say?

Fifa said it did not ban the display of poppies and that any such claim was "a distortion of the facts".

Football's rules are laid out by IFAB and any breach is dealt with by Fifa's disciplinary committee - which Fifa says is an independent body.

Fifa added it could not pre-judge what symbols would constitute a breach of rules.

However, Fifa secretary general Fatma Samoura told BBC Sport last week: "We have to apply uniformly and across the 211 member associations the laws of the game.

"Britain is not the only country that has been suffering from the result of war."

Fifa recently opened disciplinary proceedings over the Republic of Ireland's use of a logo to commemorate the centenary of the Easter Rising.

Possible sanctions?

A points deduction is the most serious sanction available but a fine is considered to be more likely.

The British FAs would then have an opportunity to challenge that fine via Fifa's appeals process and a further chance to appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport - a course of action that would probably cost more than the fine.

(From the article linked - for those that can not open it)