• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

London Police have been told to be aware of Fulham fans bringing flares to the Play Off Final at Wembley as apparently that is what they were wore the last time they were there!! :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
The magic of the FA cup is alive and well with Manchester United taking on Chelsea /s

Darandio

Established Member
Man Utd were absolutely diabolical in the first half though. It's one of those strange games where I don't want either to win. :lol:

fowler9

Established Member
Jesus! (or should that be 'hezoos'?) - lol. I assumed that it was the team from Madrid because they have just won the Europa League (again). We all know the media are ignorant about spellings and names, anyway. For my part I do know that it is Atletic (not Atletico) Bilbao - or is there an "h" in it?

Put it this way; I do know there is no "g" in Altrincham; only one "e" in Dukinfield; the only "e" in Droylsden is the last vowel and there is no "h" in Tintwistle. Oh, and the really ironic one (politically/demographically) speaking; there is *definately* no "h" in Tameside.
It is actually Athletic Bilbao. Ha ha. It was set up by English people as was Real Racing Club De Santander. Racing isn't a Spanish word. I think it was a yacht racing club. The full name of the Genoa team in Italy is Genoa CFC, Genoa Cricket and Football Club. Funny old world. My favourite team names have to be The Strongest who are from La Paz in Bolivia (Seen their stadium), NOB or Newells Old Boys from Rosario in Argentina (Also seen their stadium) and also Deportivo Wanka from Peru. A rather sad aside, The Strongest lost 20 of their team in a plane crash in 1969.

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
And Conte will now doubt be gone on Monday morning. Several Chelsea players were pushed on it after the game but not one backed him.

greyman42

Established Member
UEFA should really stop teams who have a terrible group stage in the champion's league being able to drop down to the Europa League, Marseille are the true champions this season as they had to fight their way through a tough campaign rather than being able to drop into the knockout stages after a rubbish group stage in the "Top 4" league.

(Just seems to me that the majority of winners in the past 10 years are Champion League rejects who could only finish 3rd in their group)
The problem is that if you did not have 3rd placed Champions league teams dropping down, the Europa league would be of far poorer quality and so would attract less money from TV. and so less prize money. As such, clubs would have less incentive in making a serious go of it. This is why they now award the winners a Champions league place.

EM2

Established Member
So Hebei China Fortune have announced on their Weibo account (Weibo is basically Chinese Twitter) that Pellegrini has left .
Surely David Sullivan hasn't actually managed to attract a respected, experienced, successful manager to the utterly shambolic three-ring-circus that is West Ham United?
I will be stunned, surprised, and elated if so!

Well, you can count me stunned, surprised and elated!
http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/...-pellegrini-confirmed-west-ham-united-manager
West Ham United are delighted to confirm the appointment of Manuel Pellegrini as the Club’s new First Team Manager.

The former Villarreal, Real Madrid, Malaga and Manchester City boss – a Premier League title winner and Champions League semi-finalist – has signed a three-year contract at London Stadium after leaving Chinese Super League club Hebei China Fortune.

Puffing Devil

Established Member

EM2

Established Member
I wouldn't be so happy..... The fans were pleased to see him leave City and saw no reason why he replaced Mancini. His success was based on the squad and ethos put in place by Roberto and he left Pep with an ageing squad that was resting on its collective laurels.
When you've had to put up with Avram Grant, Sam Allardyce, Slaven Bilic and David Moyes, Pelligrini is a quantum leap in quality.
As for his success being based on Mancini's squad, he bought De Bruyne, Sterling, Otamendi and Fernandinho; if he can unearth anyone that approaches anywhere even close to the talent of those, I'll be happy,

tony_mac

Established Member
Don't get your hopes up - those were all international players when they were signed who cost something like double West Ham's record transfer fee!

SteveP29

So Hebei China Fortune have announced on their Weibo account (Weibo is basically Chinese Twitter) that Pellegrini has left .
Surely David Sullivan hasn't actually managed to attract a respected, experienced, successful manager to the utterly shambolic three-ring-circus that is West Ham United?
I will be stunned, surprised, and elated if so!

It wasn't Rafa, so Sky Bet have made a mint off mug West Ham punters lumping on him to leave Newcastle for them

Man Utd were absolutely diabolical in the first half though. It's one of those strange games where I don't want either to win. :lol:

Much like this year's Superbowl, couldn't stand either team, but one of them had to win it

Cambus731

This came out of a desire to see who would be generally reckoned as the biggest 20 English Football Clubs and therefore the ideal club line up for a premier league season. Sorry that it is the Daily Hell but it is an interesting table. Who would members of this forum regard as the best 20 team line up for the premier league. I was surprised to see Forest as low as 20th but then they have been outside of the premier league for a long time. In case anyone is interested I'm a West Ham fan. https://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/...an-united-1st-arsenal-2nd-daily-mail-graphic/

Antman

Established Member
Lacklustre game, poor atmosphere. I don't think the clubs or the fans care about the FA Cup anymore.

I think the FA Cup final is just another game nowadays and I don't suppose either club, or their fans, were particularly thrilled about being there.

Dentonian

Established Member
This came out of a desire to see who would be generally reckoned as the biggest 20 English Football Clubs and therefore the ideal club line up for a premier league season. Sorry that it is the Daily Hell but it is an interesting table. Who would members of this forum regard as the best 20 team line up for the premier league. I was surprised to see Forest as low as 20th but then they have been outside of the premier league for a long time. In case anyone is interested I'm a West Ham fan. https://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/...an-united-1st-arsenal-2nd-daily-mail-graphic/

It is interesting! The fact that City score "2" in crowds at least proves that they have studied actual attendances over the whole history of English professional football, rather than gone off "Emptyhad" propoganda from United and Liverpool "repeater brains".

Dentonian

Established Member
Don't get your hopes up - those were all international players when they were signed who cost something like double West Ham's record transfer fee!

It will be interesting to see what effect his appointment will have on Joe Hart and Zabba. After these two moved to West Ham last season, I foolishly predicted that West Ham would concede far fewer goals this season! Watching highlights of West Ham on MOTD especially earlier in the Season, I got the impression Zabba was running himself into the ground to cover for his disinterested collegues. Trouble is - he's too old, and I dare say, it probably wasn't a good move for him anyway. He's far removed from your stereotypical modern "fancy dan" footballer, and I think his heart is still 180 miles north where he is an honorary Manc'. I wonder if "the Engineer" will give him more of a defensive coaching role, before he retires gracefully back to Buenos Aires.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I reject the premise that there's an "ideal" 20 teams to be in the top flight other than the 20 teams that have earned their places there which by definition is the ideal line-up. Anything other than those 20 teams each season would compromise the sporting integrity (slight though it is) of the competition.

Those "big clubs" in the Championship know exactly what they have to do to reach the EPL: That they aren't there now is ultimately their responsibility.

BlueFox

That table is from 2015, is there a more up to date one?

The 2020 UEFA Club Competition Final venues have been announced:

Champions League: Istanbul, Turkey
Women's Champions League: Vienna, Austria
Europa League: Gdhansk, Poland
Super Cup: Porto, Portugal

Also, the Euro 2020 Final at Wembley is confirmed for Sunday 12th July 2020; 8pm UK Time Kick-Off.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
There's an article on the BBC web site telling the stories of the trips that some of the Liverpool fans are taking to get to Kiev.

One of them - Tom Whitehead, 22, from Heysham, Lancashire - says hat he's taking eight trainsto get from Lancaster to Kiev, via Paris, Frankfurt, Dresden, Krakow and Lviv. He bought all the tickets separately, it came to about £400 and takes four days - he set off on Tuesday. It doesn't say how he's getting back!

fowler9

Established Member
There's an article on the BBC web site telling the stories of the trips that some of the Liverpool fans are taking to get to Kiev.

One of them - Tom Whitehead, 22, from Heysham, Lancashire - says hat he's taking eight trainsto get from Lancaster to Kiev, via Paris, Frankfurt, Dresden, Krakow and Lviv. He bought all the tickets separately, it came to about £400 and takes four days - he set off on Tuesday. It doesn't say how he's getting back!
A lad I know and a bunch of his mates are driving in a group of minibuses. They are stopping in Wroclaw tonight and heading on to Kiev tommoz. Another mate who actually lives in Madrid has got the train, don't think it is taking him quite as long, he is in Warsaw tonight.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A lad I know and a bunch of his mates are driving in a group of minibuses. They are stopping in Wroclaw tonight and heading on to Kiev tommoz. Another mate who actually lives in Madrid has got the train, don't think it is taking him quite as long, he is in Warsaw tonight.
What do you reckon the ratio of Liverpool vs Real fans will be in the stadium 9?
Is it likely to be 50/50? Or will some extra twelfth men find a way in? ;)
It’s going to be quite some night.

greyman42

Established Member
What do you reckon the ratio of Liverpool vs Real fans will be in the stadium 9?
There will be thousands who don't support either team. It is always the case with high profile cup finals.

Established Member

I can't wait.

Whatever the result, we've done very, very well to get to the final. I would never have guessed we'd get this far at the start of the season, but now we have a very strong chance of actually winning the Champions League tomorrow night.

Darandio

Established Member
Unless Paul means for the full participation over the course of the season. In which case it's around €90.8 million if winners or €86.3 million if runner up for Real Madrid. Or €87.8 million if winners or €83.3 million if runner up for Liverpool.

Interestingly, Juventus will receive more than both finalists.

gnolife

Established Member
Unless Paul means for the full participation over the course of the season. In which case it's around €90.8 million if winners or €86.3 million if runner up for Real Madrid. Or €87.8 million if winners or €83.3 million if runner up for Liverpool.

Did Juventus go through more qualifiers?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

That is indeed what I meant....the full 2017/8 participation, not just the money for the final itself. I should have made my posting clearer.

Will Harry Kane be claiming some of these monies in lieu of not being able to claim goals in the final...:p:p