• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anyone get the feeling that this particular Manchester United manager will not suffer fools gladly ?
Off to the job centre with Bruno Fernándes

There are times when an extremely heavy defeat in the English top level suffered by noted teams can have a good effect on their reaction to it that a manager can use.

Anyone remember 28th August 2011....Manchester United 8 ... Arsenal 2. Arsene Wenger used that result to reformulate the Arsenal side.

It is much nearer in time to 4th October 2020 ....Aston Villa 7 ... Liverpool 2. Liverpool learnt something from that defeat.
Although, on the same day as the latter, my Tottenham beat United 6-1. Amazing day.

HST274

Off to the job centre with Bruno Fernándes
To be fair many of the unfair claims about him in that game were proved wrong-such as the claim he asked to be taken off. Whilst he was very petulant he has always been petulant and no one has complained when we were winning.
Sorry, but as a neutral I rather enjoyed seeing it last night.
As a man united fan <(...

Last edited:

HST274

Many? Which others?
Perhaps I should have said accusations- e.g that he is a terrible captain, he should be dropped as soon as possible, all the players were unhappy with him- in fact we have a much higher win percentage with him as captain and other reports came out that the players are perfectly happy with him.

Drogba11CFC

Chelsea 2 (2)...Borussia Dortmund 0 (1)

Fantastic win, possibly the best one yet. A potential turning point?

Meanwhile, with a train strike on the 1st April, Winchester City had announced a possible coach to Weston-super-Mare last Tuesday. Within 5 days we'd hit 55% of the target...so of course the same committee member who announced it promptly withdraws it. A fine way to treat loyal supporters...it makes me suspect that money changed hands.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Chelsea 2 (2)...Borussia Dortmund 0 (1)

Fantastic win, possibly the best one yet. A potential turning point?

Meanwhile, with a train strike on the 1st April, Winchester City had announced a possible coach to Weston-super-Mare last Tuesday. Within 5 days we'd hit 55% of the target...so of course the same committee member who announced it promptly withdraws it. A fine way to treat loyal supporters...it makes me suspect that money changed hands.
More likely because money had not changed hands and 55% wouldn't be enough to cover the costs. Coaches are getting expensive these days and coach operators want significant amounts of money up front.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
More likely because money had not changed hands and 55% wouldn't be enough to cover the costs. Coaches are getting expensive these days and coach operators want significant amounts of money up front.
I would agree. The prices are through the roof and our club used to run coaches to almost all games. Unfortunately it’s just not possible these days which is a terrible situation especially with unreliable trains

Drogba11CFC

We'd probably have hit the target if it had been kept open for a bit longer.

Tottenham Hotspur 0 (0)..... AC Milan 0 (1)

As a Spurs fan myself, I am fuming. We showed no fight out there today. Our team has so much potential but they have no spirit in a Tottenham shirt. Our defence is so problematic. Romero is an amazing defender but it doesn't work when he gets sent off or injured every other week. Our midfield is nothing. We have been so poor in midfield ever since Bentancur got injured. Kulusevski needs to try harder on nights like tonight. Son has no confidence. Surely Kane will leave in the summer - he has to deal with players who don't provide opportunities. Richarlison has been nothing but a liability ever since we bought him.

In my opinion, it is the manager. We simply cannot develop under Antonio Conte. We saw a boost when he is absent which soon fades. We need to sack him now and get Pochettino back. He likes the club and the players like him. Conte plays an extremely boring style if football under Spurs and the players can't cope. Under Conte, we have been playing a defensive style of football that doesn't work when most of our defenders are shockingly uninspired. We need a change of management and an attacking system.

Anyway, rant over, but I needed to say something. I'm probably talking a load of rubbish but we must improve.

Kite159

Veteran Member
At least the keeper of the keys of the Spurs trophy cabinet can breathe a sigh of relief that the fabulous carpet remains in peak condition and that his secret that he lost the keys years ago can remain :p

SteveM70

Established Member
Disappointingly un-Spursy. It needed them to go ahead and then have a meltdown in the last ten minutes for full Spursiness.

But seriously, would Levy reappoint Pochettino? And would Pochettino want to go back?

Disappointingly un-Spursy. It needed them to go ahead and then have a meltdown in the last ten minutes for full Spursiness.

But seriously, would Levy reappoint Pochettino? And would Pochettino want to go back?
Pochettino has said he would be open to a return to us but I'm not sure whether Levy would. But then again, who else is there?

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Regarding the use of VAR being used for possible offside, would it be better for the laws to be amended so that for an actual offside, the body part to be used as a reference point would be both feet are offside?

This would eliminate things like strands of hair, the sleeve cuff, fingernail, knee, and other body parts from counting as offside. After all, the name of the game is football, therefore it would make sense to use the feet as the reference point and would be far more clearer.

Also, VAR was recently introduced in Scotland, but is not really being used consistently from one week to the next. It is probably not helping some fans eliminating some suspicions that some refs are members of the Freemasons (who have strange handshakes). Although on the other hand, the constituents of Moray can see how easily competent or incompetent their MP and leader of the Conservatives in Scotland Douglas Ross is in officiating matches (which I am pretty certain is not part of a job description of being a serving MP or elected representative, as it is matches that are not being held in his constituency).

scotrail158713

Established Member
Regarding the use of VAR being used for possible offside, would it be better for the laws to be amended so that for an actual offside, the body part to be used as a reference point would be both feet are offside?

This would eliminate things like strands of hair, the sleeve cuff, fingernail, knee, and other body parts from counting as offside. After all, the name of the game is football, therefore it would make sense to use the feet as the reference point and would be far more clearer.
There's good intentions behind a change like that however it wouldn't actually change anything. All that would happen is the computer lines are drawn at the feet instead of any other body part. And the marginal - but still correct by the letter of the law - offside calls that frustrate people would still be there.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
How on God's green Earth did Liverpool do that? I said to my mate that if Liverpool won I was a Chinese dinner lady. I suppose I am now.
Of course, the next Liverpool league match is one that, on paper, looks to be far easier.

Bournemouth 1 ... Liverpool 0 .... and Salah misses a penalty.

King Prawn Fried Rice for three, please.

450.emu

Spurs' Antonio Conte soldiers on, like the Class 321's out of Thorpe le Soken... seems the Forest win has bought him a little more time, with Richarlison putting in a shift despite a disallowed goal...

SteveM70

Established Member
FC Halifax Town drawn away at Altrincham in the FA Trophy semi-finals. That's a clean sweep of 7 away draws out of 7 in cup competitions this season

REVUpminster

There's good intentions behind a change like that however it wouldn't actually change anything. All that would happen is the computer lines are drawn at the feet instead of any other body part. And the marginal - but still correct by the letter of the law - offside calls that frustrate people would still be there.
As I understand VAR a player is offside if it's the part of the body that can score a goal, ie; legs, body, shoulder, head. Player leaning forward and hands and arms are ahead for balance are on side.

Spurs' Antonio Conte soldiers on, like the Class 321's out of Thorpe le Soken... seems the Forest win has bought him a little more time, with Richarlison putting in a shift despite a disallowed goal...
My first ever Tottenham Hotspur game. Was a long journey up. Great watch though. I was very happy with it.

Red Onion

I understand that the new format for the World Cup has been finalised, with the 48 teams being divided into 12 groups of four. The top two from each group and the eight best third-placed teams qualify for a knockout round of 32.

I think it is simply too big a tournament and whilst I understand that they want to open the tournament up to other areas of the globe, I fear it will introduce poorer performing teams (though Scotland will continue to boycott the tournament…) who would be better placed trying to qualify. It also introduces an inordinate number of games to play, especially with club fixture calendars already full.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I understand that the new format for the World Cup has been finalised, with the 48 teams being divided into 12 groups of four. The top two from each group and the eight best third-placed teams qualify for a knockout round of 32.

I think it is simply too big a tournament and whilst I understand that they want to open the tournament up to other areas of the globe, I fear it will introduce poorer performing teams (though Scotland will continue to boycott the tournament…) who would be better placed trying to qualify. It also introduces an inordinate number of games to play, especially with club fixture calendars already full.
It introduces ONE extra game to play for the teams that reach the later stages. More games in total, but the most extra games any individual player or team will face is just the one.

I agree that the tournament will drag on too long, I'm usually suffering from football fatigue by the quarter-finals. I'm also not keen on teams being able to qualify in third place in the group, but that's less bad than the silly three-team groups in the original plan. Unfortunately the only way to expand the tournament whilst keeping four-team groups where only the top two qualify, would be to massively expand the tournament to 64 teams... and that would be a step too far even for FIFA.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Unfortunately the only way to expand the tournament whilst keeping four-team groups where only the top two qualify, would be to massively expand the tournament to 64 teams... and that would be a step too far even for FIFA.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Give it maybe a couple of tournaments. :rolleyes: