• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Nobody is arguing otherwise, other than you. You seem to have a problem with the way football is being discussed on an internet forum!
My only problem concerns the way that some people have a false mindset that bears no relation to official actuality during those referred-to internet forum discussions.

This is the Football forum...not the Speculative Ideas forum

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Perhaps, but everyone knows what a soft yellow or a soft penalty is, it is where an offence has been technically committed but its interpretation falls under the referee's discretion, which is open to discussion.

SteveM70

Established Member
In the Laws of the Game, is there any official definition of a "soft yellow" or is that phrase just something used by supporters using their alternative version of the Laws of the Game?

My only problem concerns the way that some people have a false mindset that bears no relation to official actuality during those referred-to internet forum discussions

So every player, manager or supporter who refers to a card as being “soft” has a false mindset? That’s a pretty lengthy list of some fairly successful and highly-regarded people

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
In the Laws of the Game, is there any official definition of a "soft yellow" or is that phrase just something used by supporters using their alternative version of the Laws of the Game?
It's a term used primarily, IMHO, by coaching staff (and then copied by the club's supporters) who are endeavouring to deflect or excuse away criticism of their own players' poor on-field discipline, by instead attempting to suggest some sub-optimal or inconsistent officiating performance by the match referee.

And when it's the other team's player who has picked up a "soft yellow", such occurrences tend not to be commented upon. Double standards at play? :rolleyes:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Southend United have been back in court today and the winding up order against them has been adjourned for a further 42 days, following Ron Martin telling the court that the sale of the club to an Australian buyer should be completed by the end of September. With the next hearing on 4 October, that doesn't allow much time for slippage in that schedule and the judge has said that the club would definitely be wound up at that stage. The next move will be with the National League who had issued Southend with a suspended 10 point deduction if their debts were not cleared by today.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Southend United have been back in court today and the winding up order against them has been adjourned for a further 42 days, following Ron Martin telling the court that the sale of the club to an Australian buyer should be completed by the end of September. With the next hearing on 4 October, that doesn't allow much time for slippage in that schedule and the judge has said that the club would definitely be wound up at that stage. The next move will be with the National League who had issued Southend with a suspended 10 point deduction if their debts were not cleared by today.
How many chances are they going to get!

SteveM70

Established Member

10 point deduction confirmed

SteveM70

Established Member
And Southend have said they will appeal.

It'll be interesting to see if they succeed. They seem to be arguing the correct sanction is a transfer embargo rather than a points deduction, but the National League were crystal clear in their statement in July that they would deduct 10 points if Southend hadn't paid of their debts by today

JD2168

In the first leg of the Europa conference League qualifying match it finished Hibernian 0 Aston Villa 5.

In the first leg of the Champions League qualifying match in finished 2-2 between Rangers & PSV Eindhoven at Ibrox.

75A

Established Member
In the first leg of the Europa conference League qualifying match it finished Hibernian 0 Aston Villa 5.

In the first leg of the Champions League qualifying match in finished 2-2 between Rangers & PSV Eindhoven at Ibrox.
Villa absolutely massacred them, could have been more, I think in the second leg at Villa Park next week they should put their youth team out to give the Scots more of a chance.
I did like the Villa fans singing: can we play you every week?

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
And Southend have said they will appeal.

Not many clubs succeed in appeals against the National League. Bradford and a few other clubs found that out a couple of seasons ago during lockdown when they appealed unsuccessfully against fines for not fulfilling fixtures which were subsequently declared null and void. The fines were then increased as punishment for daring to appeal. Not sure what the NL did with the money.

75A

Established Member
Looking forward to another Edinburgh team in Europe tonight.
Hearts are @home to PAOK Solinika in the Europa Conference League.
They've got to do better than Hibs, haven't they?

75A

Established Member
Not a bad first half, certainly two even teams. 1-1 @Half time, Hearts scored a penalty and straight from the restart the Greeks went down the other end and got a penalty to equalise.

Hearts lost 2-1 which was fair result, at least they didn't crumble like their neighbours did
Don't think that Villa would be very concerned if they came across Salonika in a later round

Last edited:

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
It'll be interesting to see if they succeed. They seem to be arguing the correct sanction is a transfer embargo rather than a points deduction, but the National League were crystal clear in their statement in July that they would deduct 10 points if Southend hadn't paid of their debts by today

Regarding the debts at Southend Utd, I would be supportive of a transfer embargo as that has happened years ago to Falkirk and Partick Thistle.

Furthermore, I would like a transfer embargo to also apply to Real Madrid and Barcelona, as they have been "technically insolvent" for a good number of years, but still somehow manage to pull off a wheeze of bringing in big name signings with telephone number pay packets.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Furthermore, I would like a transfer embargo to also apply to Real Madrid and Barcelona, as they have been "technically insolvent" for a good number of years, but still somehow manage to pull off a wheeze of bringing in big name signings with telephone number pay packets.
These are Spanish clubs, so therefore are subject to the rules that apply in that country. I am not au fait with those Spanish rules, so I ask anyone with the requisite knowledge to clarify matters.

75A

Established Member
Not saying I told you so but.......
Luton Town Played 2 Lost 2 Scored 1 goal Conceded 7 Goal Difference -6 bottom of the Premier League. now there's a surprise.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Not saying I told you so but.......
... you just said the same as pretty much everyone else.

Luton Town Played 2 Lost 2 Scored 1 goal Conceded 7 Goal Difference -6 bottom of the Premier League. now there's a surprise.
Yeah, bottom on goal difference. We lost away to Brighton, who are playing in Europe this season after a top 6 finish, and away to a side with a squad assembled at 50 times the cost of ours. Tonight we were undone by a couple of pieces of class by Raheem Sterling who appears to be back to his best. There's no shame in those results.
Early days. It'll get much worse than that.....
Maybe, maybe not, but no prizes are given out after 2 matches.

Regarding the debts at Southend Utd, I would be supportive of a transfer embargo as that has happened years ago to Falkirk and Partick Thistle.
Southend have been under a transfer embargo for a very considerable period due to their ongoing financial problems. I can't remember the exact details but I thinks it's been over a year.

Last edited:

SJL2020

FIFA announce 90-day suspension of creepy Spanish FA boss while an investigation is carried out.

I hope Richard Arnold isn't put in charge, 90-days wouldn't be anything like enough...

dangie

Established Member
FIFA announce 90-day suspension of creepy Spanish FA boss while an investigation is carried out.….
I believe he did apologise for his ‘inappropriate’ behaviour, but obviously in this day and age an apology isn’t enough.

I’m not defending him or attacking him, but the world’s going mad.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I believe he did apologise for his ‘inappropriate’ behaviour, but obviously in this day and age an apology isn’t enough.

I’m not defending him or attacking him, but the world’s going mad.
An apology doesn't solve everything and in some cases doesn't solve anything.