• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Footbridge vs underpass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianigsy

Huddersfield has a subway and no overbridge - the station site is cut out of a steep hill so the excavation would have needed to be done anyway.

I wonder whether another factor would have been the amount of mail traffic handled at a station. If you have a constant flow of trolleys, it probably makes more sense and involves less wear and tear on the structure.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member
They do have an extra incentive to develop in this manner, mind: railway stations in Germany, and also Austria and Switzerland, are exempt from Sunday trading laws.
Although, strictly speaking (in Germany at least) only for bona fide travellers.

Acfb

Whaley Bridge has an arguably pointless footbridge which I guess will not be replaced if/when the line ever gets electrified even though access under the railway bridge is not that nice due to all the traffic heading up and down Whaley Lane and lack of/barely any pavement.

The exile

Established Member
Although this is essentially at street level with station above. It’s also the reverse to the thread’s premise; the overbridge was removed in the rebuild.

I also imagine that whilst not a primary factor, subways even in Victorian times must have been considered a flood risk with tricky drainage.
Many of the others cited on here (both UK and abroad) are exactly the same - ie ground(ish) level with a railway elevated above it.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Huddersfield has a subway and no overbridge - the station site is cut out of a steep hill so the excavation would have needed to be done anyway.

I wonder whether another factor would have been the amount of mail traffic handled at a station. If you have a constant flow of trolleys, it probably makes more sense and involves less wear and tear on the structure.
Huddersfield will join the club of "stations with both" after the rebuild, assuming that the current subway will remain open to the public. The last parcels facility was the former platform 3, at the Leeds end of platform 1.

Dewsbury has an old, abandoned subway along with the currently used footbridge. Both Mirfield and Batley will gain footbridges following the Trans-Pennine Route Upgrade, but currently have subways. That is, if you class Mirfield as a subway: strictly speaking it's a road underbridge.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Whaley Bridge has an arguably pointless footbridge which I guess will not be replaced if/when the line ever gets electrified even though access under the railway bridge is not that nice due to all the traffic heading up and down Whaley Lane and lack of/barely any pavement.

Due to the latter I think there's a good chance it will. One of the arguments for not just running a path down to Polesworth's far platform was because the road bridge wasn't considered safe for pedestrian use.

Benjwri

Established Member
Something that hasn't been mentioned is outside London many railways follow river valleys. These kind of railways are often at, or close to ground level. Groundwater in river valleys, and to a lesser extent across the UK, is a significant issue, and underpasses built below ground level are prone to flooding in heavy rains, and are then very expensive to drain. The vast majority of stations with underpasses are those built above the surrounding land on an embankment, where it is cheaper to build an underpass, and water can drain onto surrounding land. Flooding of an underpass is also a significant issue for a station, where it would likely have to close.

There is also the obvious issue of crime, and the appearance of subways. The two stations near me with them are notorious for it.

Annetts key

Established Member
When looking at existing stations, or new stations on previously used land (brown field sites), you need to take into account also, where the original natural ground level was, as the current ground level may now be at a different height.

And when considering a underpass, where the maximum normal ground water level actually is. Because this can be substantially different to the ground level.

You wouldn't tunnel, you'd dig a trench and put a roof on it.

Fine - ground work then. it is still going to be an expensive task

Especially if the trench hoes below ground level, as you then need lots of extra work on drainage and that sort of thing.

If an underpass is being considered, the local ground conditions will determine the method of construction. So it could be an actual tunnel or a cut and cover trench.

The ground conditions also determine the cost of both an underpass and the cost of a bridge, because the ground conditions affect the bridge foundations. Hence it is possible (although probably not very common) that a bridge could be more expensive than an underpass.

Drainage would not be expensive if the ground water level is lower than the lowest level of the underpass.

A lot of the major stations built by the original GWR (or affiliated companies) have subways - Bristol Temple Meads, Bath Spa, Cardiff Central, Taunton, Swindon, Didcot Parkway, Plymouth. I note it's been stated upthread Reading originally had a subway too. On the other hand, Exeter St Davids, Newton Abbot, Newport, Cheltenham Spa and Oxford to name a few have footbridges (and presumably always have), so it doesn't seem as though there was a deliberate policy.

Much more likely to be affected by the lay of the land as others have suggested.
Bristol Temple Meads actually has three underpasses not including the original Brunel station. The extension to the Brunel station (currently a covered car park) has one (closed to the public, but I’ve been in it), the main underpass for platforms 3 to 15, and a parcels underpass that runs parallel to the public underpass (closed to the public, and yes, I’ve been in this one too). Both the public and the parcels underpasses have lifts provided (although the lift on platform 13/15 was not replaced for the parcels subway).

When there was an island platform between what is now platforms 3/4 and 5/6, this was served via a footbridge.

The whole of Bristol Temple Meads station (all parts of it) is built on arches (yep, been in these also). It is significantly higher than the natural ground level that originally existed. Part of the reason for it being built at a higher level, is because it was a flood plane for the river, and was rather marshy land.

Hence it made sense for underpasses to be provided.

The railway line for Bath Spa is of course elevated on embankments, bridges and viaducts, so of course it made sense to have an underpass for the station. Again, it passes next to and over a river.

vic-rijrode

Denham on the Chiltern Main Line used to have a "subway" under the tracks which was actually suspended in a tunnel above the ground! It was replaced a few years back by a footbridge (albeit not underground).

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
The main reason the subway was replaced at Denham is that the down platform was sinking and in danger of falling down the embankment it was built on. This is why Denham now has a somewhat unusual layout of a side platform on the up and an island platform on the down. AFAIK the over bridge was just the natural way to connect the new platform to the old for all the reasons stated previously, ie cheaper to install lifts on, faster to built as it could be pre fabricated off site and less likely to become smelly over time.

rower40

I recall changing platforms at Dalmuir via the bridge, carrying a heavy bag and folded bike. Each bit of both footbridges (I had to get from platform 1 to platform 5) had an extra few steps tacked-on at the top - I assume to provide clearance for the OHLE.

Scouseinmanc

Manchester Victoria used to have a subway linking all the platforms, which I believe was infilled during the 1995 (?) rebuild when the arena was plonked on top.

Statto

Established Member
St Helens Central is one that used to have a subway, the ramps were quite long, the subway felt kind of grotty too, the station was rebuilt in 2007, new ticket office, waiting rooms, out went the subway, replaced by a new footbridge with lifts, the footbridge is miles better, than the subway was

REVUpminster

Barking has a stairs down to the platforms and one lift down to a platform and a subway linking each platform. Upminster used to have a subway filled in when the station was expanded.

tomuk

Established Member
Worcester Foregate St and Shrewsbury, both built high up, only have subways, although there is a public right of way footbridge over Shrewsbury station without railway access.
Shrewsbury for the first 50 years didn't have a subway. The station was extended downwards by digging out the basement/forecourt in 1901. Also around this time the platforms were extended over extensions to the Severn bridge and until the 1960s there was a footbridge at the south end.

Status
Not open for further replies.