• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

For how much longer is the Scotrail amended timetable likely to be in place ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Scotrail are selling tickets for travel in August from Mallaig to Glasgow Queen St on the 1010 which under the current amended timetable is not running. I assume anyone who buys tickets for that train has to travel on the 0603 departure instead ?
That, or refund their ticket, or be re-routed onto the bus and then the coach.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HL7

Wether or not Drivers accept the offer, it's still just another sticking plaster applied to the real issue, that's a seven day roster!
Something consecutive franchise holders have kicked down the Road for the past thirty years. Now it's in Government hands it will have to be dealt with, no longer got Abellio or anyone else to hide behind.

They are trying deal with it now as it’s part of the pay offer. An agreement to set up a joint working party with the aim of having Sunday as part of the working week by the December 27 timetable.

Whether a common ground can be found on implementation is a different matter.

6Z09

They are trying deal with it now as it’s part of the pay offer. An agreement to set up a joint working party with the aim of having Sunday as part of the working week by the December 27 timetable.

Whether a common ground can be found on implementation is a different matter.
It's going to cost a few quid to solve that one.
So probably five years of temporary timetables, add in the age profile of Drivers, not a quick fix.

HL7

It's going to cost a few quid to solve that one.
So probably five years of temporary timetables, add in the age profile of Drivers, not a quick fix.

I‘ll be surprised if it happens TBH.

This has been brought up already by scotrail/Transport Scotland to ASLEF and they think they can get it for free.

bigmoose

On specific dates, a key point to note (and sorry if I’ve missed this further up the thread) is that the results of the ASLEF ballot on whether to accept the revised pay and conditions offer is due on 11 July. Mentioned in several news stories plus this recent (yesterday) ScotRail press release - https://www.scotrail.co.uk/about-sc...issues-travel-warning-150th-open-championship

To quote from the press release, with my emphasis added:

While progress in these pay negotiations has been made and the drivers’ union ASLEF has put ScotRail’s latest pay offer to a referendum of its members with a recommendation to accept, the result of this vote will be announced on Monday, 11 July. However, without drivers returning to work rest days and overtime, the temporary timetable remains in place. The result of the ballot cannot be pre-judged and if the offer is accepted it will take a short period of time to restore services as these are based on driver availability and returning to previous rosters, however, ScotRail’s aim is to return to a full timetable at the earliest opportunity.

I fully understand the points made above (by those closer to the issue than me - I don’t work in the rail industry) regarding driver availability but the section I’ve highlighted suggests at least some intent by ScotRail to get back to the announced-then-canned May 2022 timetable. Perhaps this thinking is also behind the guess upthread of 15 July for normal(ish) service to be resumed.

Anyway, fingers crossed. I was hoping to use the Highland Explorer 153 this summer but it’s currently helpfully been binned for the height of tourist season. Not good for encouraging rail travel in general, and especially bad when we’re looking to add active travel and joined-up decarbonised journeys into the mix. Here’s hoping for better time(table)s ahead!

Route115?

What premium does rdw get? There would seem to be two issues. It can be cheaper for TOCs to rely on RDW so not surprisngly they do. I used to work for a TOC where there was a small premium for rdw but drivers might ask for (and often got) 12 hours pay. Secondly, as the basic salary has increased over time the need - and desire - to work rest days has decreased. These can only be addressed by hiring more staff. This was fine as long as passenger numbers and revenue were going up nicely. These days may be over, at least for a few years.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It looks like the amended timetable will be scrapped in 10 days time:

ScotRail said if drivers begin doing overtime again a full timetable could return within 10 days.

For discussion of the deal please use this thread:

And for discussion of any ongoing day to day disruption please use this thread:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.