• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forgotten railcard - any chance of refund?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeGee

So I was 'that guy' yesterday. Booked for three to travel on a day trip to London, on the bus on the way to the station, I realised that I'd left my F&F railcard in a ticket wallet that I'd used for a previous trip, and not in the ID compartment in my wallet that I'd normally use.

So being sat there with a hatful of Railcard-discounted tickets, I bit the bullet on arrival at the station and bought another 1 year F&F railcard.

Now, googling round the subject today, I'm finding suggestions that if I'd travelled as normal on the railcard-discounted tickets without the railcard, I'd have been able, once a year, to claim a refund of the excess fares imposed by the guards. Of course, these would have totalled more than the £30 face value of the railcard.

Do you reckon, if I ask nicely, I might be able to get the replacement railcard refunded? The one I usually use has 2 years' validity left, so this one year one, with the same signatories, is totally superfluous to my needs. I got it because I'm a nice honest chap and didn't want any hassle and wanted to set a good example to my boy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DeeGee

The tickets were all bought online from FTPE, advance singles from Grimsby Town to London splitting at Doncaster, if that helps. Original railcard a three-year one bought online via the Railcard website, replacement at the FTPE ticket office at Grimsby Town. I have the receipt.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Railcards are non refundable. its T & C 11. See your receipt.

Did you flag that you had fogotten your railcard to the Booking Office at Grimsby or did you just purchase a new one?

DeeGee

That's fine, not a problem. I did mention that I'd forgotten it and I was travelling immediately, but I'd filled in the form already and had my card in my hand to pay.

Like I say, my idiocy. Not a problem.

wildcard

Now, googling round the subject today, I'm finding suggestions that if I'd travelled as normal on the railcard-discounted tickets without the railcard, I'd have been able, once a year, to claim a refund of the excess fares imposed by the guards. Of course, these would have totalled more than the £30 face value of the railcard.

As I understand it - if you forget your railcard you are meant to buy standard price tickets and reclaim the difference later ( my guess is this is similar to forgotten season tickets where the train company will allow up to two claims in a 12 month rolling period ) . Travelling on discounted tickets without the railcard and being stopped by an inspector could well lead to a penalty fare or having to buy additional full price single tickets and/or having to give your name and address for a letter of intended prosecution. In this case whether you could get all or any of the additional costs back after the event would be at the train co's discretion . Likewise if they drop the prosecution (probable for the first time ?) - you may pick up an admin charge .
Some of the reports in the press and by politicians have been less than accurate.
Edit- Just to add , you did the right thing by buying a new railcard before travel . The so called google "advice" of purchasing discounted tickets (via ticket machine ) , travelling without a card , getting caught , and then hoping for a refund of any penalty charges is not the way to go .

Last edited:

DeeGee

As I understand it - if your forget your railcard you are meant to buy standard price tickets and reclaim the difference later ( my guess is this is similar to forgotten season tickets where the train company will allow up to two claims in a 12 month rolling period )

I get you! Had I done that, of course, I'd be looking at a claim in the vicinity of £300 instead of £30 as it is now. Is there any harm in seeing if their discretion will stretch to the value of the railcard? Of course, I realise I'll have to surrender it.

Darandio

Established Member
I get you! Had I done that, of course, I'd be looking at a claim in the vicinity of £300 instead of £30 as it is now. Is there any harm in seeing if their discretion will stretch to the value of the railcard? Of course, I realise I'll have to surrender it.

If you don't ask, you don't get. Just don't be too surprised if they refuse. If you go back with both railcards and explain everything you have here, there is no harm in trying.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Well it's worth go even if it's vouchers as GOGW. The OP could well not have afforded 300 and waiting to claim it back plus he did something to deal with situation before boarding many wouldn't.

DeeGee

I've sent an email off to Customer Services today (not likely to be anywhere near a staffed TPE station for the next few days, sadly) explaining everything above and referring to their Revenue Protection policy. I'll keep you updated as to what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.