• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Four people Manchester Airport (MIA) to Edinburgh (EDB). What if plane is late?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Oh dear.
After all that it now seems that there are going to be strikes. Does anyone have any idea of the dates for the strikes as I was hoping to buy in advance.
I think I read something about strikes affecting one of the train companies I was planning to use.
Maybe I will rent a car instead :(

Strike dates have not been announced, and they might call it off anyway.
If they happen on your route they will affect ALL operators.

If you buy Advance tickets, you will not get a rebate for them if you need to buy new tickets. - just like low cost airlines.

You need about 45 minutes at Manchester between landing and a train departure (without luggage, and assuming no significant delays at immigration).
So you have a reasonable expectation of getting the 1800 if your plane is on time, but it is a risk (which is not the railway's risk).

Your return time from Edinburgh is important.
There is a cheap Advance fare only on the 0615, any later and you will pay £64 and upwards even for an Advance.
So you have two choices: (a) take the risk and commit to the 1800 and 0615 for £50.30. It might prove expensive if things don't work out.
or (b) buy the off-peak return at £70.20 and pick up any suitable train (TPE/Virgin/Northern etc).

For comparison, Flybe can fly you up/down for £90 (no discounts, of course).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

suzanneparis

Thanks. Yes I did notice the Flybe fare. But the problem is that if the flight into Manchester is late then we shall miss the Flybe flight!

But thanks again. Out of interest when do you think final announcements will be made about dates for strikes? Also if the strike only affects my out or return journey but not both will I be in the position of having to use the other part (out or return) ? That would be awkward.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Thanks. Yes I did notice the Flybe fare. But the problem is that if the flight into Manchester is late then we shall miss the Flybe flight!

But thanks again. Out of interest when do you think final announcements will be made about dates for strikes? Also if the strike only affects my out or return journey but not both will I be in the position of having to use the other part (out or return) ? That would be awkward.

The Flybe times are 2030 MAN-EDI and 1000 back.

It's impossible to know about how the strike will go.
Most are called off before the dates (which haven't been announced). It's a negotiating tactic.
The critical people involved are the signallers, the train operators themselves are not involved.

Generally, the railway is pretty good at handling refunds and rebookings in such circumstances.
You would almost certainly get your money back if you can't do your complete trip.
Having said that, I think you would need to have both legs on the same booking, as otherwise they are two separate "journeys".

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If you're arriving at 1600ish and the flight departs MAN at 2030, I'd go with that option, without question. Even though it's "Flymaybe" involved :)

Just ensure you have good (not cheap) travel insurance, and if you miss a generous connection like that I'm sure they will sort you out with a hotel and a flight in the morning, as you'd need if going by train if you were that late.

I know you say arriving on that day is essential, but if it's that essential I think it's time to look to change your flight one day earlier. I think particularly with the strike announcement a 2030 MAN-EDI flight is the best way to ensure you do get there that day if you can't change your original flight to MAN or fly direct to EDI (or even Glasgow).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.