• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Frankfurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadget88

I’m planning a trip to Frankfurt from Brussels should I go for a day trip or should I have 2/3 days there? What can I do in my time there?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnnychips

Established Member
The centre is very nice and not as modern as I thought it’d be. No doubt others will be along with suitable excursions.

Frankfurt has a well-deserved reputation for being the dullest of the German cities (even amongst the Germans!). It is true that that the centre was not as badly damaged during WW2 as some of the others, but one day would be quite sufficient in my opinion. The Hbf is the main centre of attraction with an impressive train shed and is exceptionally busy with a huge number of starting / terminating / reversing main-line and suburban services. The tramway is also quite interesting, with historic cars (and beer cars!) used on certain weekends. If you have time I would press on to Stuttgart - a much livelier city with lots of transport interest.

Veteran Member
Make sure you go via the Rhine Valley route one way.
Not my favourite German city, but the small historic centre has just had a major restoration job completed.
You might be lucky and coincide with a steam excursion on the wayside line.

sprunt

Are you just after transport interest, or general things to do? I'd say it justifies a couple of days - I was there for three days in June and I felt that was a day too much (although the last day was Monday, when all the museums are closed so that didn't help - if they were open I'd have been fine). Anyway, recommended things:

Deutsches ArchitekturMuseum - German Architecture Museum, with a good permanent display of models showing the progression of architecture from mud huts to the present day. Also has a series of temporary exhibits.
Historisches Museum Frankfurt - I like a good city museum, and this is a good one.
Main Tower - if you like viewing platforms on skyscrapers, this is a good one.

I enjoyed the botanical gardens too, but it's possible that this isn't the ideal time of the year for that. Also, I second the praise for Stuttgart, I enjoyed it a lot there.

Oh, and here's a picture of one of the historic trams.

P1000352.JPG

CMS

Frankfurt has a well-deserved reputation for being the dullest of the German cities (even amongst the Germans!). It is true that that the centre was not as badly damaged during WW2 as some of the others, but one day would be quite sufficient in my opinion. The Hbf is the main centre of attraction with an impressive train shed and is exceptionally busy with a huge number of starting / terminating / reversing main-line and suburban services. The tramway is also quite interesting, with historic cars (and beer cars!) used on certain weekends. If you have time I would press on to Stuttgart - a much livelier city with lots of transport interest.
Seconded, my thoughts exactly! I'd only add that... exciting as the above is, you can do all of that in 48 hours max. I would recommend Cologne (given its proximity to other NRW area cities), Strasbourg (a personal favourite plus has almost every mode of transport in an array of languages) and Stuggart as mentioned for a longer stay.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I was about to put a post about Frankfurt too. I may be travelling via Frankfurt with a longish connection between trains during the lunch time, about 2 hours. Does anyone know of any good eating and drinking places nearby the HBF, perhaps a Brauhaus type establishment like those in Koln or Berlin? Tks.

sprunt

There isn't really anything great in the area round the station - it's a very typical area surrounding a big European station. Lots of cheap eats - kebabs, chicken shops, pizza, that kind of thing. The best I found (which was more or less next to my hotel) was this Indian restaurant - like home from home, and a lovely lamb saag.

Groningen

Established Member
The citycenter is liked Canary Wharf, but than Frankfurt was probable heavily in WW2. If you like trains than you will not be dissapointed. Trains to Austria, France, Switzerland and north to Hamburg and Berlin. Heidelberg, Mainz, Wiesbaden, Hanau, Mannheim and many more are 45 minutes away from Frankfurt.

Gadget88

I love modern architecture so like the look of Frankfurt plus it has the old buildings which is every European.

I wasn’t impressed with Rotterdam so I feel Frankfurt will be better.

No city beats Berlin in Germany for me. I love Cologne but I’m keen to visit one of the major cities and love the business feel to the city.

Im more swayed with a day visit from Brussels and possibly going back at a later date. Stuggart and Dortmund look to offer much. I would like to visit Munich though.

So far I have found Germany very good for shopping so I expect frankfurt to be the same?

Gadget88

Seconded, my thoughts exactly! I'd only add that... exciting as the above is, you can do all of that in 48 hours max. I would recommend Cologne (given its proximity to other NRW area cities), Strasbourg (a personal favourite plus has almost every mode of transport in an array of languages) and Stuggart as mentioned for a longer stay.
I have done Cologne and Düsseldorf both were fine to do on a day. Düsseldorf has a nice tower and expensive shops yet Cologne has a great cathedral.

What’s the best city to stay in for visiting Berlin for a day? Would love to go back but via train.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Depends ehatt your criteria is. If its price, neighbouring towns like Potsdam ( a sight in itself) are a good option.
Glienicker Brucke is there where during the cold war spies were exchanged. Not to mention the many baroque sites.

Gadget88

Depends ehatt your criteria is. If its price, neighbouring towns like Potsdam ( a sight in itself) are a good option.
Glienicker Brucke is there where during the cold war spies were exchanged. Not to mention the many baroque sites.
Hotels seem cheaper than Brussels in Frankfurt from what I’ve seen. :)

Veteran Member
I'd second Potsdam, but if you like staying in big cities, there's nowhere less than 90min from Berlin - Leipzig, Hamburg, Hannover, Magdeburg, Braunschweig ...and TBH Berlin (and Potsdam) deserve longer than a day trip.

DelW

Established Member
If you're drinking in Frankfurt, look out for apfelwein (cider), usually served in diamond pattern glasses or in blue and grey stoneware jugs for sharing. It's made by a number of local producers, and is usually served flat like west country cider. Bars in Sachsenhausen, south of the river, are worth visiting and usually serve it.

Groningen

Established Member
I wasn’t impressed with Rotterdam so I feel Frankfurt will be better.

Even Rotterdam was bombed, but than by the Germans at the start of the WW2 in the Netherlands. So a non starter.

320px-Rotterdam_na_bombardement_in_1940.jpg

Source: wikikids

dutchflyer

Established Member
The germans call it usually Bankfurt or Mainhattan (Main is the river going through).
There are more beergarden-type places (though locally they are more fond of apfelwein=a kind of cider) in the south of the river part, near Süd BHF (Sachsenhausen). (the above was just secs before I wrote this down).
Quoted Marburg is well over 1 hr away by train.
Tip: if you decide to stay for 2 days, google for Rhein-Main Card, which is a 2-day ride-at-will tourist ticket for all of the quite large VRM=Local tariff Union verbund, cost 22€ and can be ordered online or bought at some tourist offices-NOT from DB! As with all german such tickets, you can use it at will, without any 9.00 rule or so, on LOCAL (=non IC/ICE) trains from DB and the various other contracted operators. Its in fact cheaper as the bought from machines all-area dayticket!
Incidentally i just checked HTL-prices in BRU for some weekends and they are certainly higher as FRA for lesser quality, BUT; as again anywhere in germany when there is a big fair (messe), at those dates prices go up a lot.
In srping I stayed for 2 nights weekendrate at HotelBB, just steps from Main HBF, for just 99€, BF is extra. This HTL chain is like travelodge/premierlodge, will often not appear in sites as booking. Rooms always have AC and a big TV. Also check hrs.de for HTL-bookings in DE, as its more locally covered as booking or expedia.

Status
Not open for further replies.