• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fraud jailed

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnychips

Established Member
Please move if wrong thread,

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk...t-jailed-for-rail-compensation-scam-1-5488885

Doncaster Free Press said:
Doncaster student jailed for rail compensation scam

A Doncaster man has been jailed over a scam which saw him rake in thousands of pounds in fraudulent claims for compensation on rail tickets.

Andrew Hopper, 26, of Tickhill Road, Balby, used over 90 different alias names to claim compensation for delayed rail journeys over four years, and was sentenced to 18 months imprisonment at Sheffield Crown Court, after pleading guilty to fraud by false representation against eight rail companies.

He appeared alongside his mother, Brenda Hopper, 57, also of Tickhill Road, Balby. who had pleaded guilty to money laundering, and was handed a six months suspended jail term, and house curfew during the hours of 6pm and 9am daily for one month.

The court heard how Andrew Hopper, who was a PHD student at Sheffield University, was arrested on 30 July 2009, in Doncaster railway station’s first class lounge, after rail staff became suspicious of him.

He has been using an Escape Privilege Pass which was provided by the station operator at the time, National Express. The passes provided benefits, which included complementary first class tickets, and were provided to companies who spent a set amount on train travel with the company. It was later discovered that they had been obtained using forged documents.

When Hopper was searched a number of rail tickets, disabled rail cards and envelopes, containing copies of receipts and money off vouchers were discovered.

A subsequent search of his house revealed a large number of letters outlining fraudulent compensation claims for rail tickets.

An in-depth investigation was launched, and it was discovered that Hopper had been using over 90 alias names and three addresses, his home address and two university addresses, to make the compensation claims to defraud the rail companies, and cover his tracks.

Where cheques were received as compensation, a number were found to have passed through bank accounts belonging to Brenda Hopper’s bank account.

Investigating officer for British Transport Police, Det Con Bob Hunt said: “This was a lengthy investigation which involved scrutinising hundreds of compensation claims made by the Hoppers and financial records from the train operators.

“Hopper, with the assistance of his mother, ran a sophisticated and well planned scam which defrauded rail companies of thousands of pounds.

“The timescale of his offending clearly demonstrated his belief that he could continue to offend without fear of detection.”

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zoidberg

Established Member

An extract to help those who want some context ...

A Doncaster man has been jailed over a scam which saw him rake in thousands of pounds in fraudulent claims for compensation on rail tickets.

Andrew Hopper, 26, of Tickhill Road, Balby, used over 90 different alias names to claim compensation for delayed rail journeys over four years, and was sentenced to 18 months imprisonment at Sheffield Crown Court, after pleading guilty to fraud by false representation against eight rail companies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
An extract to help those who want some context ...

Thanks.

Can I remind everyone that an extract should be provided for all quoted articles please in line with forum rules. This is to provide better accessibility for people who might be on slow connections or mobile devices.

The thing I don't get is how she managed to bank all those cheques bearing different names? Surely there are only so many names that can be associated with one bank account.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
The thing I don't get is how she managed to bank all those cheques bearing different names? Surely there are only so many names that can be associated with one bank account.

Without writing a "how to" guide, there are ways and means. I think the answer to that question lies in the fact the mother was found guilty of Money Lanundering.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Why would he have received any cheques in the first place? I though all compensation claims would be issued as vouchers?

Monty

Established Member
No sympathy for this young man, no doubt he would of continued with his little scheme if he was not caught. What is even more astonishing is that the mother was in on it too! Well justice has been served on this day. ;)

swj99

fraud by false representation against eight rail companies.

The article doesn't say how much money he conned out of the rail companies, but in some ways, 18 months doesn't seem like all that much considering the offences took place over a 4 year period, and he'll probably be out for good behaviour before that.

[sarcasm]It's people like this (ie professional criminals) who give ordinary fare dodgers a bad name.[/sarcasm]

VauxhallandI

Established Member
The article doesn't say how much money he conned out of the rail companies, but in some ways, 18 months doesn't seem like all that much considering the offences took place over a 4 year period, and he'll probably be out for good behaviour before that.

[sarcasm]It's people like this (ie professional criminals) who give ordinary fare dodgers a bad name.[/sarcasm]

Indeed, I was lead to believe the majority of fare dodgers are middle aged business men in suits....

CNash

I don't think an extended jail term would serve any purpose in this case (or any case of comparatively minor fraud) - I don't believe that the crime is one that warrants having one's freedoms removed for long periods of time.

There's also the fact by going to prison, he'll cost the prison system far more than the amount that he defrauded - the estimated cost of keeping someone in prison for a year is around £30,000.

Monty

Established Member
I don't think an extended jail term would serve any purpose in this case (or any case of comparatively minor fraud) - I don't believe that the crime is one that warrants having one's freedoms removed for long periods of time.

There's also the fact by going to prison, he'll cost the prison system far more than the amount that he defrauded - the estimated cost of keeping someone in prison for a year is around £30,000.

If he refrains from doing it in the future then the sentence was appropriate.

Flamingo

Established Member

If he had defrauded a pensioner out of £4000, or stolen £4000 from a shop or bank, would a caution or suspended sentence be appropriate?

The cost of imprisoning him is immaterial - as a society we have agreed to pay this at the decision of our courts.

richw

Veteran Member
Without writing a "how to" guide, there are ways and means. I think the answer to that question lies in the fact the mother was found guilty of Money Lanundering.

However why have the banks honoured these cheques unless they were all payable to her. Anti-money laundering regulations may well see the bank fined, or even the individuals who processed the cheques if they didnt raise a suspicion at the time.

DelayRepay

Established Member
If he had defrauded a pensioner out of £4000, or stolen £4000 from a shop or bank, would a caution or suspended sentence be appropriate?

It is unlikely he would have even been taken to court for defrauding a bank out of £4k, unless he was an employee. Sadly unlike the railway the bank doesn't have its own Prosecutor.

swj99

Anti-money laundering regulations may well see the bank fined

Somehow I don't see it happening, when large companies are getting away with paying no tax at all in this country.

When do you need to apply customer due diligence measures?

You must apply customer due diligence measures:

when you establish a business relationship
when you carry out an 'occasional transaction' worth 15,000 euros or more

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/mlr/your-role/resposibilities.htm#1

pinguini

Somehow I don't see it happening, when large companies are getting away with paying no tax at all in this country.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=b...e.1.57j0l3j62l2.4845&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/dec/11/hsbc-bank-us-money-laundering

The Guardian said:
HSBC pays record $1.9bn fine to settle US money-laundering accusations

was guilty of a "blatant failure" to implement anti-money laundering controls and wilfully flouted US sanctions, American prosecutors said, as the bank was forced to pay a record $1.9bn (£1.2bn) to settle allegations it allowed terrorists to move money around the financial system.

Hours after the bank's chief executive, Stuart Gulliver, said he was "profoundly sorry" for the failures, assistant attorney general Lanny Breuer told a press conference in New York that Mexican drug traffickers deposited hundreds of thousands of dollars each day in HSBC accounts. At least $881m in drug trafficking money was laundered throughout the bank's accounts.

"HSBC is being held accountable for stunning failures of oversight – and worse," said Breuer, "that led the bank to permit narcotics traffickers and others to launder hundreds of millions of dollars through HSBC subsidiaries and to facilitate hundreds of millions more in transactions with sanctioned countries."

Last edited by a moderator:

DelayRepay

Established Member
There's a difference between those articles on the Google link, and this bank. This bank are not likely to be fined for their involvement as it is on too smaller scale. And in any case there is no evidence in the article that the bank acted incorrectly.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
However why have the banks honoured these cheques unless they were all payable to her. Anti-money laundering regulations may well see the bank fined, or even the individuals who processed the cheques if they didnt raise a suspicion at the time.

Given that there were cheques involved who is to say that the TOCs did not issue them negligently? A bank has a defence in primary legislation if they reasonably pay a cheque into an account which turns out to be incorrect if, for instance its payable to "Mrs Smith" and its paid into an account in the name of a "Mrs Smith". If it subsequntly turns out to be the wrong Mrs Smith then the issuer of the cheque could be seen as having issued it negligently, and/or the person who paid it in, should they have reasonably known the funds were not intended for them, could be charged with fraud. However the bank who accepted the cheque would be in the clear.

All that said I'm not sure we should continue speculating. We do not know how the fraud was carried out.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
and he'll probably be out for good behaviour before that.[/sarcasm]
By default, for a fixed length sentence of 12 months or more the first half is served in prison and the second half on licence, barring any reason that they should not be released on licence. Licence conditions are definitely not equivalent to being free

bnm

Established Member
and he'll probably be out for good behaviour before that.

I said this just a few days ago on another thread were someone had been sentenced: There is no concept of early release from prison for good behaviour in the UK.

This individual received an 18 month sentence. He will serve half of that (9 months) in custody. That custody will be in prison and then, if eligible, on Home Detention Curfew (HDC) (electronic tagging with a curfew usually from 7am-7pm) at the offender's home address. The period of HDC for someone sentenced to more than 12 months in prison is 90 days. So this offender will serve approximately 6 months in prison and approximately 3 months on HDC. HDC is not an automatic right. Stringent criteria have to be met to be eligible.

Whether released to HDC or released at the half way point of the sentence the offender will not be released unconditionally. They will be 'on licence' for the remainder of the court imposed sentence. Those licence conditions will include such things as:

• Reporting regularly to an offender manager.
• Living at an approved address.
• Having visits from your offender manager.
• Keeping out of trouble.

Plus any other conditions the Probation Service feel are appropriate in managing the offender's rehabilitation. They can include curfews, area bans, drug testing etc. The offender's licence conditions will be tailored to his/her circumstances and offending behaviour.

Being on licence is sometimes harder than the incarceration. Sticking to rules and conditions is arguably easier in prison where you don't have the freedom to do want you want and go where you want. On licence it is all too tempting to ignore the conditions and do your own thing. Do that and you will be recalled to prison to serve out the remainder of the court imposed sentence and you may have additional time to serve for breaching the licence.

swj99

I said this just a few days ago on another thread were someone had been sentenced: There is no concept of early release from prison for good behaviour in the UK.
I had to laugh when I read this thread again. It reminded me of Sid The Manager, on Steve Wright in the afternoon back in the day when he used to be on Radio 1. Do you remember the one where he phoned up and said,

I’ve just been down the er office stationery supplies, photocopying these cup final tickets, got one for me and the missus and the two boys, the biggun’s out now, ‘es out for good behaviour, they said long as he keeps his nose clean he won’t be back in there again boy, so I photocopied them and we’ll all be down there Saturday.
?

Status
Not open for further replies.