• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Free Rail travel In Ireland?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainfanatic

There has been ongoing correspondence in the 'Daily Telegraph's' letter page over the last couple of days regarding free bus passes and the threat from the coaltion government to phase them out.

This has prompted an Ireland based reader to write in stating that tourists aged 66 and over can enjoy free rail travel throughout the country.

Sounds too good to be true! Is it?:p

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamesontheroad

Established Member
There has been ongoing correspondence in the 'Daily Telegraph's' letter page over the last couple of days regarding free bus passes and the threat from the coaltion government to phase them out.

This has prompted an Ireland based reader to write in stating that tourists aged 66 and over can enjoy free rail travel throughout the country.

Sounds too good to be true! Is it?:p

I seem to recall some kind of promotion to that effect, yes. But one interesting perk is the acceptance of pensioner passes on both sides of the border on buses and trains. Anyone with an entitlement card from Northern Ireland or the Irish Republic may travel the length and breadth of the island by train or bus for free.

Flying Snail

Established Member
There is a new scheme where free travel passes for specific days can be ordered online at www.discoverireland.com for over 66 tourists for rail travel in ROI only, doesn't apply to Northern Ireland.

The (massively abused) free travel scheme in Ireland gives all resident pensioners as well as a plethora of other deserving and undeserving social welfare recipients virtually unlimited free travel on most bus, coach and rail services operated by the 3 state transport companies and a large number of independent bus operators.

There is a cross-border scheme that allows free travel for over 65s in Northern Ireland and ROI in both juristictions.

The scheme does not apply to anyone living outside Ireland and as a result of it's existence there is virtually no other concessionary discounts available. With the exception of inter-rail passes I cannot think of any way for tourists over 65s to get any discounts.

PTI card holders from UK railway companies are entitled to 75% off most rail fares on Irish Rail.

Last edited:

trainfanatic

The author of the letter specifically states 'Tourists' and 'aged 66 and over' and 'throughout the country'. If I wanted to travel to say, Cork, would I just buy a ticket (rail/sail) to Dublin and just hop on a convenient train to Cork without any ticketing except my English bus Pass??
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry Flying Snail, your comprehensive post came in whilst I was writing my previous post.

I guess I can forget about that then!

Flying Snail

Established Member
I seem to recall some kind of promotion to that effect, yes. But one interesting perk is the acceptance of pensioner passes on both sides of the border on buses and trains. Anyone with an entitlement card from Northern Ireland or the Irish Republic may travel the length and breadth of the island by train or bus for free.

Not quite true. The NI passes are accepted throughout but ROI over 65s need to apply to the NI authority for one of their passes as they (correctly) assessed the ROI scheme as being riddled with fraud and inaccuracy so will not accept them on internal services.

The author of the letter specifically states 'Tourists' and 'aged 66 and over' and 'throughout the country'. If I wanted to travel to say, Cork, would I just buy a ticket (rail/sail) to Dublin and just hop on a convenient train to Cork without any ticketing except my English bus Pass??
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry Flying Snail, your comprehensive post came in whilst I was writing my previous post.

I guess I can forget about that then!

Apologies, trainfanatic. I had completely forgotten about the introduction of this new scheme until after I originally posted, check the link I put in the edited post.

Status
Not open for further replies.