Free stena line travel , does it require a ptac?

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by matt_world2004, 27 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt_world2004

matt_world2004 Established Member

Hi it mentions on the TfL staff travel pensions page that there is free Stena Line travel with a staff "Travel Card" does this require a ptac or does it apply to all staff oyster users?

2. Ralph Ayres

Ralph Ayres Member

Doesn't the top of same page on the website say that this applies only if you hold a PTAC?

3. matt_world2004

Just a "Travel Card" but then it talks about restrictions on National rail services outside London.

4. cool110

cool110 Member

You need to have a PTAC before you can get a Staff Travel Card (it's the card with the "boxes" on).

5. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

You need to date one of the boxes on the "National Rail Staff Travel Card" that you are also issued with (you can also use this for rail travel for that date and the date following). This only applies to safeguarded staff. Have you elected to give up your PTAC for a Staff Nominee Oyster?

6. Ralph Ayres

Ralph Ayres Member

More detail from the TfL Pension Fund Staff Travel pages:

1. Am I eligible for a Staff Travel Card?
    In order to be eligible for a Staff Travel Card you must meet all 3 criteria listed
    below: (if retired you must hold a 1st class PTAC.)
     You must be in service with TfL before 1 April 1996.
     You must hold a Privilege Ticket Authority Card (PTAC).
     You must be of an eligible grade (Band 2 & above).

(So as you need a Staff Travel Card to get the free Stena travel, effectively this means you do need a PTAC. Unlike most safeguarded TOC staff, the PTAC and Staff Travel Card for the free trips for qualifying TfL staff are separate documents for some reason, and you can't use the STC as a priv card on its own. The Staff Travel Cards FAQs http://www.tfl.gov.uk/microsites/pensions/documents/staff-travel-cards-faq.pdf has more details.)

Last edited: 29 Apr 2015
  7. matt_world2004

No, I joined post 1996, the reason why I use the pensions page for staff travel information is because I work out in the field so to speak so have no access to source.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.