• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Free transport stock photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

jillo

I have a project I need some stock photography of trains and cars, the only problem being the budget (the lack of). It's for a charity project so I need to be able to get photos for practically free... Any good sources come to mind? Images would have to be high resolution since it will be printed.

I wouln't be asking for free content if this was a paid/commercial project, just to be clear :oops:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'd be happy to let you use some of my photos; the original files are 3008 pixels wide at 300dpi, typical file size around 2.5Mb.

What sort of train pictures would you need?

TheNewNo2

I have a project I need some stock photography of trains and cars, the only problem being the budget (the lack of). It's for a charity project so I need to be able to get photos for practically free... Any good sources come to mind? Images would have to be high resolution since it will be printed.

I wouln't be asking for free content if this was a paid/commercial project, just to be clear :oops:

Might I suggest you try Wikimedia Commons? Every photo on there must have the four freedoms:
* Anyone can use it without asking permission,
* For any purpose,
* Including making derivative works,
* Including for commercial use.

However you generally do need to attribute the author (ie say "Photo by X"), and preferably state the licence (eg CC-BY-SA-3.0).

jillo

Thanks for the help and links! Apologies for the late reply, for some reason I did not get a notification of the replies like I usually do...

@Peter I do need some quite specific ones so thank you for the kind offer however I think I will find what I need at wikimedia commons. I can't believe I didn't know about this site! Really high quality photos there too as well. Just have to be 100 per cent sure I can definitely use them. The print shop (print24) has asked me to double check the copyright.

This is what the wikimedia page says:
Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

That's actually quite a lot of information, won't be very discreet...

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
@Peter I do need some quite specific ones so thank you for the kind offer however I think I will find what I need at wikimedia commons.

You could ask anyway... I have several thousand pictures in my collections... About 80 albums* worth in total ( that includes non-railway pictures, I should add... )

*At 300 pictures per album, that is.... quite a few!

TheNewNo2

This is what the wikimedia page says:

That's actually quite a lot of information, won't be very discreet...

Generally you can get away with eg "Photo by Joe Bloggs, CC-BY-SA-4.0", and link the photo back to the wikimedia page.

jillo

Generally you can get away with eg "Photo by Joe Bloggs, CC-BY-SA-4.0", and link the photo back to the wikimedia page.

Ok yea... Still quite a lot of text if there are several images. But I guess free is free, can't really complain. Thanks for the help!

And Peter thanks I'm all set now, thanks for the offer though! :)

TheNewNo2

Ok yea... Still quite a lot of text if there are several images. But I guess free is free, can't really complain. Thanks for the help!

And Peter thanks I'm all set now, thanks for the offer though! :)

It depends what you're doing with it - on webpages, lots of people put the links and attribution at the bottom of the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.