• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freedom of the South West Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

I have looked hard at the conditions for the above rover and it says not to be used before 0930 Mon-Fri or when the cheap day becomes available whichever is sooner.

Now there is no CDS available for the journey I want to make Fratton to Torquay only a saver which IS available on the 0831 departure. Does that mean my rover will be valid on that service?

cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
Monday to Friday: Valid from 09:00, plus the following additional trains (from all calling points):

08:35 Newton Abbot - Penzance

08:15 Plymouth – Penzance

08:54 Plymouth - Gunnislake

08:33 Liskeard - Looe

05:54 Exeter St Davids – Barnstaple

06:47 Exeter St Davids – Barnstaple

08:43 Barnstaple – Exeter – Exmouth

07:26 Exeter St Davids - Axminster

08:26 Exeter St Davids – Axminster

08:27 Swindon to Penzance

08:36 Taunton to Bristol Parkway

08:39 Patchway to Paignton

08:49 Hereford to Worcester Foregate Street (train continues to Birmingham New Street)

08:53 Weymouth to Gloucester

08:54 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa

08:58 Great Malvern to Worcester Shrub Hill (train continues to London Paddington)

Also available to Okehampton on First Great Western services on Sundays and Bank Holidays during summer 2011. This may change in future years once Dartmoor Railway commences operation on the Okehampton branch; please enquire for details.

Travel over the Christmas / New Year period: Restrictions are lifted on First Great Western services from 27 December 2011 to 2 January 2012 inclusive.

Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays: Valid all day

Valid on services of the following Operators:

Arriva Trains Wales
CrossCountry
First Great Western
South West Trains

tony_mac

Established Member
Hi all

I have looked hard at the conditions for the above rover and it says not to be used before 0930 Mon-Fri or when the cheap day becomes available whichever is sooner.

Now there is no CDS available for the journey I want to make Fratton to Torquay only a saver which IS available on the 0831 departure. Does that mean my rover will be valid on that service?
You mean 0900?

Fratton to Salisbury has a CDR that would be valid on the 0831.

bnm

Established Member
Nice to see National Rail Enquiries still referring to Cheap Day Returns in the information they provide for the Freedom of the South West Rover. Only three years since the name Cheap Day Return was changed to Off Peak Day Return. :roll:

Also interesting to note that there is no reference to the validity: "Available after 0900 (Mondays-Fridays) or when Cheap Day Return is valid (whichever is earlier)", in 'The Manual' or the leaflet published by FGW. FGW being the TOC responsible for pricing and information pertaining to the FOSW Rover.

But nice to see SWT's website saying this, "After 0900 Monday to Friday or when the Off Peak Day ticket is valid for your journey. Valid at any time at weekends and public holidays." Well done SWT!

Why is it seemingly impossible for the rail industry to give consistent information to the public and its staff?

wintonian

Established Member
Nice to see National Rail Enquiries still referring to Cheap Day Returns in the information they provide for the Freedom of the South West Rover. Only three years since the name Cheap Day Return was changed to Off Peak Day Return. :roll:

Also interesting to note that there is no reference to the validity: "Available after 0900 (Mondays-Fridays) or when Cheap Day Return is valid (whichever is earlier)", in 'The Manual' or the leaflet published by FGW. FGW being the TOC responsible for pricing and information pertaining to the FOSW Rover.

But nice to see SWT's website saying this, "After 0900 Monday to Friday or when the Off Peak Day ticket is valid for your journey. Valid at any time at weekends and public holidays." Well done SWT!

Why is it seemingly impossible for the rail industry to give consistent information to the public and its staff?

To re ask the question if no CDR is available the I assume it is 09:00 if the next station you arrive at is not on FGW's list of allowed journeys?

sonic2009

Established Member
If the OP wants to use his Rover to get to Torquay, Why not combine with a Fratton - Southampton Central ticket? The Cheap Day ticket is Restriction B5. Valid after 0830.

As the Service arrives Southampton Central 0908 as which then the Rover would be valid.

I may have read this thread wrong. But i will be corrected if have done so.

bnm

Established Member
To re ask the question if no CDR is available the I assume it is 09:00 if the next station you arrive at is not on FGW's list of allowed journeys?

In the OPs case a CDR from Fratton - Salisbury is valid from 0830. Maeaning he can catch the 0831 From Fratton to wherever he decides to change for onward travel to Torquay, most likely Salisbury or Westbury. The ticket is valid to Salibury from 0830 and valid from Salisbury after 0900, so if not changing at Salisbury the OP is free to stay on the 0831 train to wherever he wants to go before changing.

dave87016

Established Member
IMO apart from the ALR ( All Line Rover) this is by far the best rover, covers such a huge area and also get to travel on plenty of different classes - 142, 143, 150/1 150/2, 153's 158. HST's and also loco hauled ( if they still run between Cardiff - Taunton)

sonic2009

Established Member
Loco Hauled does not run between Cardiff and Taunton anymore. The only Loco Hauled stuff you will be able to get in this Rover Area would be the WAG 1615 Cardiff to Holyhead 57 Hauled as far as Newport :)

TEW

Established Member
And the sleepers from Penzance to Taunton.

I think the information given out by FGW is the current info, the National Rail site has tended to be rather inconsistent with info given out by FGW about the South West rovers.

thanks all for your replies

i didnt think about looking for a CDR to salisbury (which is where i will be changing for a swt to Exeter)

I will get on the 0831 as a friend of mine has a saver which is valid on the train. and if there were any problems then i would get a single to Southampton which isnt much as I have PRIV!

cheers

francis

Pen Mill

IMO apart from the ALR ( All Line Rover) this is by far the best rover, covers such a huge area and also get to travel on plenty of different classes - 142, 143, 150/1 150/2, 153's 158. HST's and also loco hauled ( if they still run between Cardiff - Taunton)
+ 159/444/450/220/221 but hurry if you want the 142s down there !

Status
Not open for further replies.