• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner 47 lash up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

trains2

Last night 47769 & 47815 worked 4O08 Trafford Park - Soton Maritime, but unfortunatley 47769 caught fire at Wallers Ash Goods Loops near Winchester, and after the attendance of the fire brigade, the train continued to Maritime at 25mph, where it is currently being dealt with. It was planned that the pair would return with 4M58 Soton Maritime - Ditton today, but this is looking unlikely, at least the pair of them. 47815 is unharmed and may run on its own. 4M58 is due off Maritime at 11:00 so we shall see what happens.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trains2

Grrr, many of us in the south annoyed after beautiful weather today. 47815 was idling over at Maritime, and 47769 was just visible under the bridge, but I couldn't see any visible damage from the fire that occurred last night. This will happen, the 47s will return, but it is a case of when, sods law it will either be raining or be dark.

Established Member
'Fraid not as 47769 has no brakes. It will either have to go back North 'sandwiched' between two locos or go by road. It seems the locos have slightly different braking systems & it led to dragging brakes and eventually a fire.
However I'm told 47815 will be carrying a headboard on 4M58 (this obovisly didnt happen)

Email i got from Roger Smith, Ta RS

Sprog

Established Member
4M58 is NOT 47s, its 66573. Charming.....

no need to shout. :roll:

Jamie got bowled at Didcot North Junction aswell this morning!

Went there especialliy to get the Duffers on 4M58 and i was the one who had to ring him saying it was allox'd Fred 578 instead! :o

Que alot of $£!%-ing!!! :lol:

Poor lad!

Dragging brakes eh?!

I was wondering if Rivera had pulled a 'Fragon-Wagon' and just given the 769 a fancy paint job and called it an 'overhaul' :|

16CSVT2700

Established Member
I know, they coulda sent one I hadn't seen then it would have made it worthwhile.

They seem to forget the railway is run for spotters ;)

Sprog

Established Member
This has been posted to Brush47 group by Lee Kenny, Riviera Engineer.

All,

47 769 & 47 815 are currently having brake tests to diagnose what caused the brake dragging on No.1 end which caused the alleged fire last night whilst working 4O08. Early reports from investigating engineers reveal that there is little evidence of a fire having occurred on or under No.1 bogie. However due to the dragging brakes some damage has been caused to wheelsets on No.1 bogie which need to be checked further. This may have given the wrong impression of a fire to driver and local signallers due to sparks and smoke being emitted from the wheels.

It is hoped that both Locos will return north tomorrow on a train but 769 will be DIT until all relevant systems can be checked out.

I hope this clarifies the current situation regarding 47 769.

Cheers,

Lee

----------

Thats satisfied my curiosity!

metrocammel

Sounds like this is the reason Freightliner disposed of it spoons in the first place!!! Poor availability... and spotaneous combustion... however their cans are good at that as well!! ;)

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Sounds like this is the reason Freightliner disposed of it spoons in the first place!!! Poor availability... and spotaneous combustion... however their cans are good at that as well!! ;)
Thats one thing the Hornby models have been known for. 100% true to life operation.. anyone smell burning?

Established Member
Thats one thing the Hornby models have been known for. 100% true to life operation.. anyone smell burning?

My Hornby 47, Started smoking so i thought **** it, its already broke lets make it worse so i kept it running and the motor had got so hot it jsut melted the plastic moulding!!!

RJ

Established Member
47840 solo is working 4S59 Southampton - Coatbridge as far as Crewe today.

trains2

As I predicted to myself, it's failed. Currently stopped at Reading, engine off and much head scratching.

trains2

Looks like a 57 came down from Crewe to recover, was still there at 19:30, will probs have gone by now.

1VWC

What did they expect? A loco that has been OOS for many months, was poorly before that (ever since it was allocated to that 'supposedly top link depot' WN in fact :-? :| ) and failed when trying to leave EH depot after repairs. Hardly sensible entrusting a liner train to it!

RJ

Established Member
What did they expect? A loco that has been OOS for many months, was poorly before that (ever since it was allocated to that 'supposedly top link depot' WN in fact :-? :| ) and failed when trying to leave EH depot after repairs. Hardly sensible entrusting a liner train to it!

Do you even know how it failed?

Coxster

Established Member
All I know, Joe, is some sort of engine problem. It was finally back on the move at 22:00ish with 57006 on the front.

1VWC

Can give the full story now...

840 was stopped with fumes in the cab but after further investigation it appears that it was just dust and grime - accumulated over the months of being stopped - burning off. No real cause for concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.