• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Driver Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl98k

Not to diminish your previous role, but what you’re doing now is orders of magnitude different. A tanker train came through a station close to where I live the other day, some googling revealed it’s Heathrow’s supply of aviation fuel for a reasonable period. Driven by one train driver…

Shows you’ve made the right move ;).
I totally get what you’re saying and I’m immensely grateful of the position I’m in. But the training just to load and deliver fuel is around 6 weeks. You also can’t take your phone or sat nav. So navigating around London isn’t the easiest of tasks. It’s of the reasons the job has transferable skills.

I’ve definitely made the right move mate, I genuinely couldn’t be any happier

I'm at Peterborough and I really think this Driver is incorrect, Nothing to do with hours !!! It’s for terminal time unfortunately DB don't get a choice when they can run in and out, we have to have our slots, and unfortunately the terminal time is too great for one driver to cover.
I can only go off what I was told. I did speak to a DB guy at Masborough and he said he does 12 hour nights.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB make a healthy profit by being ruthless. They flog their staff hard. Rumor has it that they put in a very low bid for a Port contract and a few months later said "we can't do it for that money".

Anybody know why GB didn't get the Mendip
Freightliner have turns that book on between 23:00 and 04:00, those turns are longer than 9:30hrs and Freightliner have a very good safety record.
i

I'm guessing you won't be working for GB or Freightliner in the future
Freightliner have turns that book on between 23:00 and 04:00, those turns are longer than 9:30hrs and Freightliner have a very good safety record.
I totally get what you’re saying and I’m immensely grateful of the position I’m in. But the training just to load and deliver fuel is around 6 weeks. You also can’t take your phone or sat nav. So navigating around London isn’t the easiest of tasks. It’s of the reasons the job has transferable skills.

I’ve definitely made the right move mate, I genuinely couldn’t be any happier

I can only go off what I was told. I did speak to a DB guy at Masborough and he said he does 12 hour nights.
That will have been DB groundstaff. They do 12 hour days/nights. Max driving turn is 11h30. Our longest booked job is an 11 hour shed turn

Wrexhamfc

Most people who moan about GB in particular have never worked for them!

Most people I meet who moan about GB previously worked at GB. And everybody else who asks about going to work for GB when they reach retirement age, say: "everyone says the same about GB".

ILoveLamp

That's because DB drivers are famously militant and walk off the job without much provocation, hence why they've managed to get the best T&C's but made their company unprofitable which has led to 20%~25% of their drivers being made redundant this Christmas.
Or the opposite, gbrf have staff and possibly conditions that it seems allows drivers to work dangerous amounts of hours. This in turn keeps their driver requirements lower and therefore perhaps how they can bid less for work. Seems its now coming back to bite them.

Is there any truth in the rumour that drivers are given an alternate qtron number to use when they are over their legal driving hours so they can continue? If so, it's only a matter of time before the next incident. Shocking, but no doubt financially driven as usual.

66701GBRF

Or the opposite, gbrf have staff and possibly conditions that it seems allows drivers to work dangerous amounts of hours. This in turn keeps their driver requirements lower and therefore perhaps how they can bid less for work. Seems its now coming back to bite them.
GB still operate to "Hidden" best practices. That is to say at a basic level no more than 13 days straight (obviously with RDW) max 60 hours per week or 72 hours if including RDW and the usual PNB requirements for such shifts. The nature of freight work and annualised hours means naturally some weeks will be heavy on hours and other weeks low. If there is a genuine concern for freight hours then a change needs to be done by RSSB or ORR etc by altering "best practices". Also, not sure where you get low driver requirements or coming back to bite them from, the only thing further from the truth is your comment below.

Is there any truth in the rumour that drivers are given an alternate qtron number to use when they are over their legal driving hours so they can continue? If so, it's only a matter of time before the next incident. Shocking, but no doubt financially driven as usual.
It is tosh, in fact you are hammered by management if you don't put in your ONE pin. All hours are recorded by other means and not with the Qtron.

Carl98k

That will have been DB groundstaff. They do 12 hour days/nights. Max driving turn is 11h30. Our longest booked job is an 11 hour shed turn
He was a driver, taking a train to Newcastle I believe.

that’s a load of crap. I’ve never heard of anyone having an alternate QTron number. I was due to go over my hours (10 hours on a night turn) by 40 mins. I was asked if I’m safe to continue and if not they’d get me relief. I wasn’t pressured or anything.

Traindriver40

If you want a higher annual salary and to work more hours work for GB, if you prefer better terms and conditions that comes with a lower salary and less hours go with DB, or Freightliner which i don't hear much about but assume they're somewhere in the middle, salary and conditions wise.

neither are the wrong way forward im sure safety is always of the highest importance, us as train drivers are taught that from day one, we are paid enough to be professional and know when fatigue is impacting safety.

NorthernTech

If you want a higher annual salary and to work more hours work for GB, if you prefer better terms and conditions that comes with a lower salary and less hours go with DB, or Freightliner which i don't hear much about but assume they're somewhere in the middle, salary and conditions wise.

neither are the wrong way forward im sure safety is always of the highest importance, us as train drivers are taught that from day one, we are paid enough to be professional and know when fatigue is impacting safety.
It would appear that in this case, the driver wasnt aware that their fatigue was impacting safety. At almost 54mph at the magnet… o_O It’s lucky that the train in front was not a passenger one and no one was was hurt.

He was a driver, taking a train to Newcastle I believe.
Which would mean he's either a Yorkshire lad or a Tyne lad. Either way I wouldn't expect him to be fully conversent with Peterborough (sorry Cambridgeshire) diagrams

Carl98k

Which would mean he's either a Yorkshire lad or a Tyne lad. Either way I wouldn't expect him to be fully conversent with Peterborough (sorry Cambridgeshire) diagrams
I was replying to someone saying drivers at DB don’t do 12 hours, this DB driver says he does. It’s irrelevant which depot he’s from.

Callmo

I was replying to someone saying drivers at DB don’t do 12 hours, this DB driver says he does. It’s irrelevant which depot he’s from.
You mentioned Peterborough To Felixstowe, which is only covered by Peterborough drivers at DB.

Carl98k

You mentioned Peterborough To Felixstowe, which is only covered by Peterborough drivers at DB.
Apologies if it was miss interpreted. Yes originally I was talking about Peterborough to Felixstowe. But a DB driver said he does 12 hours, this was at Masborough. My point being, I assumed it was the same across the board.

Apologies if it was miss interpreted. Yes originally I was talking about Peterborough to Felixstowe. But a DB driver said he does 12 hours, this was at Masborough. My point being, I assumed it was the same across the board.
I think this is most likely a North East driver who is including his travel time in the equation. Under the hub system a driver is required to book on at multiple locations within a specified geographical area. The North East area is larger than most and it may be the case that said driver lives north of Newcastle but is required to book on for this particular diagram at Tees Yard

Wrexhamfc

that’s a load of crap. I’ve never heard of anyone having an alternate QTron number. I was due to go over my hours (10 hours on a night turn) by 40 mins.

That's because you've only worked there a year. And everybody's going to tell the street to seat trainee all the naughty stuff, aren't they?!

GB still operate to "Hidden" best practices.

What did the RIAB report into the Doncaster whoopsy say about "Best Practice" at GB? Not implemented?

whoosh

Established Member
May I draw attention to the RAIB report into the incident at Loversall Carr, where one (GBRF) train hit the back of another that had been stopped in a (legitimate) but unusual location.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...5d/R082023_230803_Loversall_Carr_Junction.pdf

The report notes that the driver involved in the accident had been working for consecutive shifts of 9 ½ to 12 hours plus 2 hours’ drive each shift. Had he not had the mishap he was rostered for 9 consecutive days, nearly 95 hours + 18 hours road driving, because he was working most rest days. Other drivers were working even more rest days.

Whilst I can see the angle you're coming from, I would say the start times of the shifts were a significant contributing factor, being mostly either nights or very early mornings (starting in the middle of the night.)

Fatigue management goes both ways, you may get asked to cover jobs but if you agree to working rest days, particularly lots of them, then the responsibility is down to you.

Another factor to consider is that at the TOC where I'm at now, for rest day work availability I can put AMs, PMs or Nights. I can tick one, two or all three of those boxes, but if I'm in a week of AMs already will more likely get an AM job for Rest Day Work.

I doubt they have that at GBRf, their base roster can often be blank so they won't know what they are doing until the Thursday or Friday evening beforehand. So they won't know what shift they are on that week until then (and it can change as the week progresses) but will have had to make themselves available for Rest Day Work before the roster comes out.

Basically rest day work becomes more fatiguing if you don't know what sort of time of day you'll be working on your days booked to work, or what time of day you'll be working as overtime either.

It all seems one way traffic in favour of the company, and it's little details like that make a massive difference to fatigue.

Carl98k

That's because you've only worked there a year. And everybody's going to tell the street to seat trainee all the naughty stuff, aren't they?!

What did the RIAB report into the Doncaster whoopsy say about "Best Practice" at GB? Not implemented?
Duration of service has nothing to do with it. All drivers are asked if they’re happy/safe to continue!

Whilst I can see the angle you're coming from, I would say the start times of the shifts were a significant contributing factor, being mostly either nights or very early mornings (starting in the middle of the night.)

Another factor to consider is that at the TOC where I'm at now, for rest day work availability I can put AMs, PMs or Nights. I can tick one, two or all three of those boxes, but if I'm in a week of AMs already will more likely get an AM job for Rest Day Work.

I doubt they have that at GBRf, their base roster can often be blank so they won't know what they are doing until the Thursday or Friday evening beforehand. So they won't know what shift they are on that week until then (and it can change as the week progresses) but will have had to make themselves available for Rest Day Work before the roster comes out.

Basically rest day work becomes more fatiguing if you don't know what sort of time of day you'll be working on your days booked to work, or what time of day you'll be working as overtime either.

It all seems one way traffic in favour of the company, and it's little details like that make a massive difference to fatigue.
I’m not sure who’s told you that. On the base roster you while know what you’re doing, the AV weeks is different, and that’s pretty crap. The vacancy list comes out and you decide if you want to work it or not.

Callmo

Duration of service has nothing to do with it. All drivers are asked if they’re happy/safe to continue!

I’m not sure who’s told you that. On the base roster you while know what you’re doing, the AV weeks is different, and that’s pretty crap. The vacancy list comes out and you decide if you want to work it or not.
I like how many incorrect rumours there are about GB! The multiple drivers pin is one of my favourites, they would have more than one pin……if they sign the 92s as they take a 6 digit pin and not a 5 digit pin like the 66s normally do.

Same with rest days, you aren’t forced into working your rest days if you don’t want to work them, don’t work them and that’s where it’s left. They don’t mysteriously move either (despite what people say!)

AV weeks are always rubbish but I think even the TOCs have them, or what I like to call stitch up week.

Train_manager

They shouldn't be asking the driver!!

When £££ is involved drivers will just say "I'm fine to continue"

I think we need a separate thread. Named "GBrf bashing"

Fatigue on the railway is a dangerous thing. Especially on freight. Couple that with the £££and it's a receipt for disaster !!!!

How many AV's in the link?

For anyone for doesn't know what AV stands for its 24 hour availablity for that shift.

Shall we talk about section 7 of the handbook as well? 6 hour standby then given a 12 hour shift? Required to travel 30 minutes in own time.So 13 hour day.

I bet the replies will be "doesn't.happen very much?"

66701GBRF

For anyone for doesn't know what AV stands for its 24 hour availablity for that shift.
Yes, they have to give you 24 hours notice to work a turn, that notice has to come within your datum time and the turn obviously has to be within your datum time.

Shall we talk about section 7 of the handbook as well? 6 hour standby then given a 12 hour shift? Required to travel 30 minutes in own time.So 13 hour day.
While it certainly sucks to potentially by on call for 6 hours then get a 12 hour turn I think you are confusing matters. If you are on call you are expected to be at you home station in 90 minutes...this is part of the on call time, not your own. Where you do have to give 30 minutes of your own time is when you book on enroute to a remote location (example a T3 somewhere), in this instance while yes you do give 30 minutes of your own time but you would have already been provided with transport at your home address such as van, taxi or hire car. This in effect is no different to working a 12 hour shift at your fixed location and having a 30 minute commute either side...other than not using your own car with the former.

People are free to bash GB, but remember ASLEF also agreed to these terms.

Carl98k

They shouldn't be asking the driver!!

When £££ is involved drivers will just say "I'm fine to continue"

I think we need a separate thread. Named "GBrf bashing"

Fatigue on the railway is a dangerous thing. Especially on freight. Couple that with the £££and it's a receipt for disaster !!!!

How many AV's in the link?

I bet the replies will be "doesn't.happen very much?"
I would have been less than 30 mins over, not exactly masses of money. Datum time still stays the same and so does 12 hours off between each shift. Yes I’ve heard of 6 hours standby and to be honest it would be pretty crap if you were activated (not that I know anyone that has). However, if that were me I’d be using the 6 hours to sleep (basic time management really). And if you were that tired they would have to sort sorting out. Regardless if it’s a 12 hour shift or 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.