• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FreightLiner 'PowerHaul'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai.

Established Member
This sounds like an utterly stupid question but anyone know when they are coming out?

a press release on freigtliners website said that 001 and 002 are here for testing(http://www.freightliner.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?newsid=156&md=20/07/2009/), anyone know when they are on the main line livered and ready for pictures?

freightliner%20train%20finalweb.jpg

http://www.freightliner.co.uk/default.aspx?PageID=131

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
There is a thread about it in traction & rolling stock titled 'Class 70' and it might help, there are videos of it testing in the US
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Where does it say they are testing in the UK?

Mike Redding

Now that, is the definition of ugly. Even a Video (on the right hand side of the page) doesn't help.

Are they gonna be used in the UK? (I realise that's a silly question too)

Dai.

Established Member
There is a thread about it in traction & rolling stock titled 'Class 70' and it might help, there are videos of it testing in the US
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Where does it say they are testing in the UK?

It doesn't but they are under the UK Section of the Rail bit so educated guess?

Now that, is the definition of ugly. Even a Video (on the right hand side of the page) doesn't help.

Are they gonna be used in the UK? (I realise that's a silly question too)

As above, they are under the UK Section on the website so, assume so?
I've only heard rumours though.

43021HST

Established Member
Bluuuuuuuuergh I just sicked up my lunch. I,m not looking forward to whan it come to the UK. I,ll be sick everytime I see it. What a name. Give it a proper name not "powerhaul" the deltics had proper names. Not something that sounds like ultra destructive Robot from the planet zonk12

Oswyntail

Established Member
... the deltics had proper names.....
And that name meant? At least this brute is a) powerful and b) meant to haul things. I'll give you a clue - "Deltic" refers to the layout of the engine, and was a word actually coined for that use, presumably as a mistake for "Deltaic". And, if you are referring to names like "Crepello", well, who is to say what, if any, names are given to this class?

Dai.

Established Member
I like them, I think they look powerful and mean haha.

Has no one found out when they are over in the UK?

GB

Established Member
I like them, I think they look powerful and mean haha.

Has no one found out when they are over in the UK?

Im sure I remember reading somewhere that the first two locos will be over here in November to commence UK testing.

mumrar

Established Member
I wonder if they'll enclose those side walkways with bodywork as per Class 66s.
They won't, after all they wouldn't be side walkways then. The design is to be like American locos and some in Europe by having the external walkway like the Class 58s had. I can't wait to see them, purely because they are not sheds. If not much, it will re-introduce the phenomenon of 'what's on this train today'

Helvellyn

Established Member
That artists impression reminds me of a Walrus. The bulked out areas with the light clusters that run down around the buffers are like long Walrus teeth trailing down. Certainly won't miss it if that's the colours it's going to carry though!

Flyboy

mumrar - sorry if I didn't make myself clear, but the design history of the 66 and its ancestors is based upon American-style locos with exterior side walkways and only a single cab, but for us they covered the walkways over by extending the bodywork and added an extra cab. This is why the walkways are a tight squeeze to negotiate and cab access is unusual and differs at either end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.