• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Train Driver Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
Here here mate, after working on the railway for a very short 3.5 years, I know how hard it is to get a drivers job. I feel very fortunate and very happy I'm starting with Freightliner in a few weeks and will enjoy every single day. No matter how hard it is or gets, I think it is important to realise what a fortunate position I/ we are in. Very exciting times in my opinion.

Finally, I think how FL have approached this recruitment campaign is so refreshing compared to other Tocs including my own, other tocs should take a leaf out FL books. But this is all purely my opinion.
I agree about how FL recruit. Although ultimately unsuccessful it was such a refreshing process from the word go, and my TOC also could learn a lot. To put it in to perspective, my TOC wouldn’t even sift my application (even after 3 attempts), yet I got all the way to DMI wit FL. The fact that FL and the OPC are only interested in aptitude rather than background, this means there’s no aspersions or pre-conceives views that other TOCs or FOCs could get if they see male applicants full out a full competency based application form in the first instance.

Seejwalker

Whatever timescales you are given I would take with a pinch of salt.

11 months after starting I am just out road learning at my depot. That is as an already qualified driver. Nothing has happened in the time frames given.

This isn’t a criticism of Freightliner it is just the way things worked.

There is/was a shortage of mentors and a shortage of trainers for the courses you have to do.

Hopefully for you guys coming through those issues have been addressed.

Could this be more of a depot issue than a company wide?

R Trevithick

Could this be more of a depot issue than a company wide?

Maybe, maybe not.

Without working at every depot I wouldn’t know.

Freightliner had a problem recently persuading drivers to become mentors and have been working very hard to overcome that particular problem.

As I said I’m not criticising them as it is just one of those things. I understand the reasons why many didn’t want to do it.

I’m simply saying that things may take longer. If they don’t for a particular individual all well and good. That’s a bonus.

Certainly for the lads at Crewe new recruits can’t start being productive soon enough.

Maybe, maybe not.

Without working at every depot I wouldn’t know.

Freightliner had a problem recently persuading drivers to become mentors and have been working very hard to overcome that particular problem.

As I said I’m not criticising them as it is just one of those things. I understand the reasons why many didn’t want to do it.

I’m simply saying that things may take longer. If they don’t for a particular individual all well and good. That’s a bonus.

Certainly for the lads at Crewe new recruits can’t start being productive soon enough.
Is this the same for HH & IM at Crewe?

Last edited:

R Trevithick

Is this the same for HH & IM?

The honest answer is I don’t know.

I did spend more time with IM mentors than HH but didn’t really get into asking whether that was because there were fewer IM drivers needing handling or because there were more IM mentors.

I will say that all the mentors at Crewe, from both sides, are good guys.

Sorry I can’t give a more definitive answer.

The honest answer is I don’t know.

I did spend more time with IM mentors than HH but didn’t really get into asking whether that was because there were fewer IM drivers needing handling or because there were more IM mentors.

I will say that all the mentors at Crewe, from both sides, are good guys.

Sorry I can’t give a more definitive answer.
That’s been great, I’m due to start in the new year sometime. IM at Crewe.
Was asked to start in Nov but wasn’t able to due to a prebooked holiday in Jan. So I have been told Feb or May. Hoping for Feb as I can’t wait to get started.
Are you still at Crewe?

Ballzak123

I see freight liner have started a trainee vacancy and that everyone is saying the company has recently become not a great place to work . I know getting a trainee driver role is quite a tough nut to crack but would it be worth it to get a foot in the door I’m a pretty loyal fella and have no intention of jumping ship after training . I’ve got me heart set on driving trains and want to get on board ASAP do you think it’s worth giving them ago and see what happens or hold off and wait for a role in another company ?

R Trevithick

That’s been great, I’m due to start in the new year sometime. IM at Crewe.
Was asked to start in Nov but wasn’t able to due to a prebooked holiday in Jan. So I have been told Feb or May. Hoping for Feb as I can’t wait to get started.
Are you still at Crewe?

No I’m not.

There are some really good guys at Crewe. Don’t be afraid to ask any of them for advice or help.

Good luck both to you and to all the new starters.

4F89

I see freight liner have started a trainee vacancy and that everyone is saying the company has recently become not a great place to work . I know getting a trainee driver role is quite a tough nut to crack but would it be worth it to get a foot in the door I’m a pretty loyal fella and have no intention of jumping ship after training . I’ve got me heart set on driving trains and want to get on board ASAP do you think it’s worth giving them ago and see what happens or hold off and wait for a role in another company ?

It's a 4 year minimum contract without having to pay back training costs. I think 80% of your employment happiness is your own attitude tbh

Stigy

Established Member
I would personally get in there and apply. Worst case scenario if you don’t get offered a job, you have the assessment passes to transfer to another TOC/FOC (assuming you don’t already have them). Others I’m sure will say the same in that freight work isn’t as sociable as TOC work in that you’ll not be working when there’s a train service as you would working for a TOC, and also you won’t get any TOC privaledges such as free travel or PRIV rate travel. I applied to Freightliner because I want to drive trains, even though it would be a sacrifice in terms of giving up my semi-sociable roster and TOC privileges I currently have.

Ballzak123

I would personally get in there and apply. Worst case scenario if you don’t get offered a job, you have the assessment passes to transfer to another TOC/FOC (assuming you don’t already have them). Others I’m sure will say the same in that freight work isn’t as sociable as TOC work in that you’ll not be working when there’s a train service as you would working for a TOC, and also you won’t get any TOC privaledges such as free travel or PRIV rate travel. I applied to Freightliner because I want to drive trains, even though it would be a sacrifice in terms of giving up my semi-sociable roster and TOC privileges I currently have.
Ok wicked thanks for the feed back I’ve got my whole life for privaliges I would be happy just getting my foot in the door I can on,y see it being up from there cheers stigy

Pete C

They asked at my DMI if in the long term I'd want to stay as a driver, become an instructor or go into management. Personally I think I'd like being an instructor and said as much - I wonder if that went in my favour!

Stigy

Established Member
They asked at my DMI if in the long term I'd want to stay as a driver, become an instructor or go into management. Personally I think I'd like being an instructor and said as much - I wonder if that went in my favour!
I said that in mine too as a lot of what I do now is around training and development....didn’t go in my favour though, haha.

Lendog2012

Same here mate on both counts. I mean, later later on my career with plenty of experience under my belt then the instructor/mentor route is where I would like to be. Best of both worlds really.

Lendog2012

Thanks for the info on this one. I didn't know I would loose the PRIV rate travel as well, that along with the other perks.......its a shame but ultimately worth it in the end for me.

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks for the info on this one. I didn't know I would loose the PRIV rate travel as well, that along with the other perks.......its a shame but ultimately worth it in the end for me.
That was my train of thought too (excuse the pun ;)). I wasn’t sure at first either until I received info from this wonderful forum. It’s a lot to lose, but I don’t use my PRIV that often (apart from attending assessment centres for Freightliner of course lol).

Although I was unsuccessful this time, I’ve kind of got in to the frame of mind now whereby I think freight would be better for me anyway regardless.

Lendog2012

That was my train of thought too (excuse the pun ;)). I wasn’t sure at first either until I received info from this wonderful forum. It’s a lot to lose, but I don’t use my PRIV that often (apart from attending assessment centres for Freightliner of course lol).

Although I was unsuccessful this time, I’ve kind of got in to the frame of mind now whereby I think freight would be better for me anyway regardless.

Yea going from a TOC to a FOC seems right for me despite the reduction in perks, that said the railway family is that of a family and I am quite sure that my friends would still see me right as we do for the other TOC/FOC's.

Jay_t

How often do crewe HH have to lodge away from home? Not seen anything mentioned of this on the threads..

Status
Not open for further replies.