• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Train Driver Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigy

Established Member
Im is different stages tho. Dunno what that is.
I have the salary scales I was given at my DMI but can’t share the screenshots I took (forum software seems too old?) so here goes...

Intermodal

Wk1 - £20,236.51
Wk11 - £26,134.86
Wk38 - £40,424.24 + Booking on allowance
Wk78 - £46,461.00 usually productive

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cheggers

I have the salary scales I was given at my DMI but can’t share the screenshots I took (forum software seems too old?) so here goes...

Intermodal

Wk1 - £20,236.51
Wk11 - £26,134.86
Wk38 - £40,424.24 + Booking on allowance
Wk78 - £46,461.00 usually productive
Pretty much exactly the breakdown that was in my contract recently. Plus I had to sign another contract saying If I leave within 3 years I'll have to pay a percentage of training costs, dependant on when I leave. 4 weeks until the start of my course.

Stigy

Established Member
Pretty much exactly the breakdown that was in my contract recently. Plus I had to sign another contract saying If I leave within 3 years I'll have to pay a percentage of training costs, dependant on when I leave. 4 weeks until the start of my course.
That’s handy to know too, as I believe people asked that very question about being bound to stay for several years (makes sense).

Tester1

If I remember I think I picked HH on my application, if successful can you change?

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
If both available at your depot they ask in your DMI.
They suggested at mine it would obviously fare better if I put both down (because you’re then not automatically elicited for one if that’s all that becomes available in the end).

Jay_t

Do HH only get the 1 pay rise through training? To many figures to take in on the dmi!

Do HH only get the 1 pay rise through training? To many figures to take in on the dmi!

When they went through HH pay scale they said it was 19k for 12 weeks then up to 24. Then your next pay rise is once passed out on all routes.

4F89

When they went through HH pay scale they said it was 19k for 12 weeks then up to 24. Then your next pay rise is once passed out on all routes.

I doubt all routes! Thats just not possible! I'm pretty sure it goes up to max once first commercial train is driven alone.

Stigy

Established Member
I doubt all routes! Thats just not possible! I'm pretty sure it goes up to max once first commercial train is driven alone.
On the paperwork I have it says “when fully productive - core routes to be determined”. Assume that means once duly productive on your core routes.

Jay_t

On the paperwork I have it says “when fully productive - core routes to be determined”. Assume that means once duly productive on your core routes.
Brill thanks for that.. wonder what timescale they predict this to be?!

4F89

Brill thanks for that.. wonder what timescale they predict this to be?!

Around 9 months after rules complete I heard. I think they will want to push the first group through, as there are lots coming up behind

Jay_t

Brill thanks for that.. wonder what timescale they predict this to be?! Ypi
Around 9 months after rules complete I heard. I think they will want to push the first group through, as there are lots coming up behind
That would be spot on!

R Trevithick

Whatever timescales you are given I would take with a pinch of salt.

11 months after starting I am just out road learning at my depot. That is as an already qualified driver. Nothing has happened in the time frames given.

This isn’t a criticism of Freightliner it is just the way things worked.

There is/was a shortage of mentors and a shortage of trainers for the courses you have to do.

Hopefully for you guys coming through those issues have been addressed.

4F89

11 months after starting I am just out road learning at my depot. That is as an already qualified driver. Nothing has happened in the time frames given.

There is/was a shortage of mentors and a shortage of trainers for the courses you have to do.

Good call. I can "survive" on the lower wage until fully qualified with routes etc, but life will be much easier once fully up to speed, shall we say.

The One

I’m sure once you have completed call your hours and been asssesed you would go on higher money but bearing in mind you have to do PTS etc then rules course and once passed that traction training and brake handling and on top of various amounts of driving hours that are required.Just enjoy your new career and enjoy learning from day one.

Good luck to you all

Jay_t

Hopefully this has been addressed with the amount of new trainees that have been offered roles! You would certainly like to think so anyway!
What depot are you based at?

Bullybully18

When I joined via Freightliner Heavy Haul as a trainee driver in 2014 training was at Crewe and we stayed in a hotel for the full 10 weeks paid for by Freightliner. It worked out as follows:
Company induction and PTS Week 1
Rules Weeks 2 - 8 including one week of front end turns
Traction Weeks 9&10

After this it was back to your depot where you start your driving hours following the shift pattern of whoever is your DI. The hours only count when the wheels are turning so if you are sat on a possession unless the loco is moving it won't count, harsh, but that's the way it is.

Once you have completed your hours you will go out and learn your core routes, but bear in mind that you will probably be driving over them as you do your hours and you really do start to learn them then. Once you sign one vote route and drive your first productive train that's when you will go onto full money.

You start on a training wage and that increases after Traction the amounts already written in an earlier post are about right. It took me around 9 months from the day I started to driving my first train on my own. However, I was very lucky and had three DI's to myself so was able to rattle my hours off quick. A percentage of the hours have to be completed in the dark I think around 75 hours out of 275.

Lastly the most important thing is to enjoy it, all those who have been successful you are in an incredibly small and very fortunate group that many will never get into, embrace it, work hard and listen to your instructors they know what they are talking about and really want you to succeed. There really isn't another job quite like it

When I joined via Freightliner Heavy Haul as a trainee driver in 2014 training was at Crewe and we stayed in a hotel for the full 10 weeks paid for by Freightliner. It worked out as follows:
Traction Weeks 9&10

After this it was back to your depot where you start your driving hours following the shift pattern of whoever is your DI. The hours only count when the wheels are turning so if you are sat on a possession unless the loco is moving it won't count, harsh, but that's the way it is.

Once you have completed your hours you will go out and learn your core routes, but bear in mind that you will probably be driving over them as you do your hours and you really do start to learn them then. Once you sign one vote route and drive your first productive train that's when you will go onto full money.

You start on a training wage and that increases after Traction the amounts already written in an earlier post are about right. It took me around 9 months from the day I started to driving my first train on my own. However, I was very lucky and had three DI's to myself so was able to rattle my hours off quick. A percentage of the hours have to be completed in the dark I think around 75 hours out of 275.

Lastly the most important thing is to enjoy it, all those who have been successful you are in an incredibly small and very fortunate group that many will never get into, embrace it, work hard and listen to your instructors they know what they are talking about and really want you to succeed. There really isn't another job quite like it
Sounds exactly what I hope for, are you still at Crewe? HH?

Tester1

Does anyone know how many weekends you are rostered for HH, I know IM is 1 in 6!?

Cheggers

Traction Weeks 9&10

Here here mate, after working on the railway for a very short 3.5 years, I know how hard it is to get a drivers job. I feel very fortunate and very happy I'm starting with Freightliner in a few weeks and will enjoy every single day. No matter how hard it is or gets, I think it is important to realise what a fortunate position I/ we are in. Very exciting times in my opinion.

Finally, I think how FL have approached this recruitment campaign is so refreshing compared to other Tocs including my own, other tocs should take a leaf out FL books. But this is all purely my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.