• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner - Trainee Train Driver - Various Locations (04/04/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tb12

HI all,

I have been sent the email for the M7 and VSE online assessments. I have done these assessments for a previous application I did with another company and did pass them. Does anyone know if the OPC keep these results on file or would you have to do them again?

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Terry844

HI all,

I have been sent the email for the M7 and VSE online assessments. I have done these assessments for a previous application I did with another company and did pass them. Does anyone know if the OPC keep these results on file or would you have to do them again?

Thanks in advance
I believe you will have to re take these particular tests as they form part of the initial sift stages before you do the psychometrics

JWS

hey, good luck to everyone, I passed the situational judgement but unfortunately failed the visual.

Miltsey!

hey, good luck to everyone, I passed the situational judgement but unfortunately failed the visual.
Sorry to hear that! Just a shame there’s no way to do a computer based or active for it beforehand.

Seejwalker

Don’t be too disheartened by that. These tests are designed in such a a way that you only really pass them if you can.
By that I mean. Some just can’t and some just can. There’s nothing more to it.

Choooochoooo

Just got an email inviting me to do..... You guessed it, more tests. Something called an M7 SJT and a Visual Search exercise. 1 hour each it says. Made it through the shortlisting after the first 4 tests.
Was it this kind of thing

Attachments

• A9606B74-B928-453A-A324-8B6E138646BA.png
    A9606B74-B928-453A-A324-8B6E138646BA.png
    448.3 KB · Views: 65

k14an

After how long donyou hear back from the M7 and VSE online. I did mine about a week ago.

Ok just got confirmation I passed and next is the assessment centre.

• The Trainability for Rules and Procedures Test Part 1 and 2
  • The Group Bourdon Concentration Test
  • The Driver Fault Finding Test (DFFT)
  • The Test of Everyday Attention for Occupational Assessment (TEA-Occ)
Does anyone have any extra study or practice material on this as its my first attempt so far.

Last edited:

Tb12

Does anyone know if the OPC will let you know what parts you need to resit prior to the assessment day? I have been invited to the assessment day but already have passed the assessment with another TOC which I believe to be an enhanced standard

Thanks in advance

Seejwalker

Does anyone know if the OPC will let you know what parts you need to resit prior to the assessment day? I have been invited to the assessment day but already have passed the assessment with another TOC which I believe to be an enhanced standard

Thanks in advance
Use some initiative and email them, self thinking is all part of being a driver.

After how long donyou hear back from the M7 and VSE online. I did mine about a week ago.

Does anyone have any extra study or practice material on this as its my first attempt so far.
You will be sent practice material (or you at least should)

Tb12

Use some initiative and email them, self thinking is all part of being a driver.

You will be sent practice material (or you at least should)
I have emailed them but sometimes you get a quick response from the helpful guys on here. Appreciate the advice

Seejwalker

I have emailed them but sometimes you get a quick response from the helpful guys on here. Appreciate the advice
Understandably. But I can guarantee there’s people out there who’ll be in one of either camp. Those who have been told, and those who have to question it on the day, because they haven’t.
The only way to guarantee that you will be told, is by doing what you’ve done in sending an email.

Seejwalker

Hi correct they have sent practice material but i am looking for something more then that like actual tests i can take.
The practice material is more than enough. Honestly don’t over think it.

None of the tests are difficult.

Those who fail, simply do so because they don’t have the ability to carry out each task.
They’re not designed so that you can practice and practice until you’re the best in the world.
They’re designed in such a way that you get enough information to understand what is required of you.

Having only two attempts is to stop people from doing so many that they eventually pass. The idea of getting as second go is because you would if had the capability first time time, but perhaps made a few silly errors through nerves or lack of understanding the task etc…..

In summary what I’m saying is what I say to everyone. Just understand each task and then go an do it. There’s nothing more to it.

PNutt

Hi correct they have sent practice material but i am looking for something more then that like actual tests i can take.
Go on the OPC website and they have extra practice material that you can purchase.

Like most things in life, practice makes perfect and these tests are no exception. If you prepare properly then you shouldn’t have a problem.

BigPondFish

Well, I received an email from Michelle at OPC this afternoon saying that I have passed the second set of online assessments and I will now be contacted directly by Freightliner in the next few weeks for a managers interview. I know I should be pleased but I am due to start my Depot Driver training with GA in 3 weeks time. Just so annoying that the recruitment process takes so long.

Tb12

Hi mate

Have you previously pass the assessment day?

Also what location did you apply fro if you don't mind me asking?

Just wondering as I've passed my psychometrics previously.

Thanks in advance

Miltsey!

Well, I received an email from Michelle at OPC this afternoon saying that I have passed the second set of online assessments and I will now be contacted directly by Freightliner in the next few weeks for a managers interview. I know I should be pleased but I am due to start my Depot Driver training with GA in 3 weeks time. Just so annoying that the recruitment process takes so long.
I’m in a similar boat. Been offered a new job but have my Stage 1 with Freightliner in a couple of weeks. Don’t want to mess anyone around but also don’t want to end up not passing further with Freightliner!

BigPondFish

Hi mate

Have you previously pass the assessment day?

Also what location did you apply fro if you don't mind me asking?

Just wondering as I've passed my psychometrics previously.

Thanks in advance
I passed the psychometric assessments last September for a different foc, this is why I have jumped straight to interview. I applied for the Tilbury depot.

Echomike01

Was the Visual search similar to the practice material ?
I’ve just done my SJT but ran out time leaving 4 questions unanswered, recon that’s an automatic fail ?

moneim

i am trying to book a test for myself, but there no webpage. please if there anyone knows please take your time and post to me.
kindly Moneim

NorthernTech

i am trying to book a test for myself, but there no webpage. please if there anyone knows please take your time and post to me.
kindly Moneim
Perhaps you should take some time to read the thread from the start, and refresh yourself with the industry by reading some of the other threads such as the top one ‘A Career as a Train Driver’. This would help you moving forwards.

golfsareus

For a friend, does failing either of the VSE or the M7 test mess up any applications you have with other TOCs who do not use them I didn’t know the answer any advice would be great I didn’t think it would but not completely sure.

Thank you.

baz962

Established Member
For a friend, does failing either of the VSE or the M7 test mess up any applications you have with other TOCs who do not use them I didn’t know the answer any advice would be great I didn’t think it would but not completely sure.

Thank you.
Nope. Only for the companies that use them

ChaseTheSun

Email today saying I passed the stage 1 tests at Watford last week, but the application process has been put on hold by Freightliner. Annoying, but I expected as much looking at the thread for the Freighliner recruitment in December 2022, people had passed everything, been given courses in July...which were then cancelled as Freightliner have put a hold on training new recruits for about a year due to costs.

So may be waiting a while sadly.

Tb12

Had the same email and that I'd passed the dots test that I had to resit as I've already done the rest of the assessment.

As you say though the December thread already had me prepared for the recruitment process being on hold. Fingers crossed for next year if and when they recruit again.

baz962

Established Member
You all should apply elsewhere. I don't know what location everyone is , but London Overground are recruiting trainee drivers.

moneim

Application Process Now Open​

We are pleased to confirm that we are recruiting for our 2023 Trainee Train Driver schemes.
We are looking for enthusiastic individuals to join our Trainee Train Driver Apprenticeship Scheme across both our Heavy Haul and Intermodal areas of the rail platform.

No experience is necessary, but the key things we look for are:​

• 21 years old or older
  • Take safety seriously
  • Willingness to learn
  • Ability to remain calm under pressure
  • Able to work within rules and regulations
You would also need to hold a Manual UK driving licence to work within Heavy Haul.
In turn for your commitment, we can offer great pay, and fantastic benefits including both a defined contribution or final salary defined benefit pension scheme (service criteria applies), Employee assistance programme, enhanced maternity/paternity entitlements, and career progression.
We are running a number of Trainee Train Driver schemes throughout 2023, and are looking for applicants for the following locations:
  • Acton – W3 6EQ
  • Ipswich – IP2 9AA
  • Merehead – BA4 4RA
  • Reading – RG1 1TG
  • Tilbury – RM18 7EH
To apply for one of these locations you must live within 60 minutes of the depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.