• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Various Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgv1349

After I left school, I completed a 4 year advanced modern apprenticeship in mech engineering, part of the apprenticeship was key skills in Maths, English and ICT. You reckon they’ll except that?? I can remember they said they were equivalent grade C GCSE.
Funcitional skills level 2 certificates are accepted aswell.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Timpg

Funcitional skills level 2 certificates are accepted aswell.

Well hopefully mine will be enough. Just had another look and they are, application of number ( maths ), communication ( English ) and ICT. Also still got all my NVQ’s and EMPTA advanced modern apprenticeship certificate

Coach Carter

I have no idea where mine are or if they do in fact still exist!

Are they happy to go off your say of what grades you got?

Unfortunately they’re not keen on taking your word for it. But it doesn’t seem like it’s anything to worry about. I can’t find mine so they have said anything I can’t prove/don’t have grades for I would be put on an extra training course for them. That’s if I actually get picked for a trainee position.

To save having to do extra training you can get confirmation of your results from the exam boards you took them with but they charge about £45.
Before paying out check with the school to see if they still have your results, some of them keep records of results for a long time.

Mike121

Well after being in the pool since November last year I am pleased to say I have been offered a position elsewhere for a TOC! I’m over the moon, I wish you all well and that you get your chosen depots soon!

Lenny_1986

Well after being in the pool since November last year I am pleased to say I have been offered a position elsewhere for a TOC! I’m over the moon, I wish you all well and that you get your chosen depots soon!
Well done Mike and I wish you all the best in the future

Stigy

Established Member
Well done Mike! That is great news!

Loo12

The OPC not got back to you?
Once after my email saying I couldn’t make it. I’ve emailed twice since asking if they could possibly squeeze me in but had no response. I understand they must be extremely busy with this massive recruitment drive. I guess it’s just not my time.

DMcq2010

Just being pro active incase I get to that stage. I too have misplaced my GCSE results, fortunately enough my school keeps records of previous results back to the exact year i took them (lucky me) do you think the letter of confirmation from the school on headed paper will be enough?

Coach Carter

Just being pro active incase I get to that stage. I too have misplaced my GCSE results, fortunately enough my school keeps records of previous results back to the exact year i took them (lucky me) do you think the letter of confirmation from the school on headed paper will be enough?

My email said a letter from school or certificates, so i think it should be fine. Unfortunately for me my school only kept records from 2007 onwards so I couldn’t get them.

GLENMAYE77

Awesome news....congratulations!!!
May I ask which TOC?

martin2345uk

Established Member
Managed to find my gcse English and maths certificates last night and an a-level IT one, hopefully that’s enough for them!

mumrar

Established Member
Talking through stuff with my wife whilst awaiting news on DMI, I'm sincerely stressed that if I get the nod I may have to turn it down on financial grounds

The first 3 months will represent a £1,200 a month pre-deductions drop from my current job based on the current years earnings. I'm the only earner in a house of 6 and we find budgeting fairly tight already as it is.

There's no slack in my finances/credit for banking solutions to assist me, and the same can be said of all of my family and its really starting to worry me as the wait for news continues onwards. I know the phrase is never look a gift horse in the mouth, but this gift horse wants to make my family and I suffer for almost a whole year and somehwere amongst it there's all the potential fall out from Brexit to contend with too.

DMcq2010

Talking through stuff with my wife whilst awaiting news on DMI, I'm sincerely stressed that if I get the nod I may have to turn it down on financial grounds

The first 3 months will represent a £1,200 a month pre-deductions drop from my current job based on the current years earnings. I'm the only earner in a house of 6 and we find budgeting fairly tight already as it is.

There's no slack in my finances/credit for banking solutions to assist me, and the same can be said of all of my family and its really starting to worry me as the wait for news continues onwards. I know the phrase is never look a gift horse in the mouth, but this gift horse wants to make my family and I suffer for almost a whole year and somehwere amongst it there's all the potential fall out from Brexit to contend with too.
Have you had a look into the universal credit, during the months you are training? I'm not sure how that would work but being the only earner in the house you may be entitled to something to keep you on your feet. I mean it's there to top up low income no? I know where you are coming from though that first year will be pretty tight.

Mike121

Got to do it! It’s such a big opportunity...

But first just wait to see if you are successful and then if you get selected from the pool!

DMcq2010

Also if you went for IM I'm pretty sure the wage rise during training is pretty good and not that long......

mumrar

Established Member
Also if you went for IM I'm pretty sure the wage rise during training is pretty good and not that long......
I averaged out the wage drop for the 2 pay scales at 11 and 38 weeks and it is still around a 950 average drop over those months. Once in the depot at 38 weeks its all gravy though, but yes, need to know I am successful first.

GMT

... but yes, need to know I am successful first.

It should be over for everybody (with good or bad news) at the end of next week though. I have stage 2 on Tuesday the 29th. Working on MMI questions at present.

Brooksy

I am on the March course and I’m taking a massive cut too, but in about 8 months you will be nearly back to normal wage but basic for a 36 hr week a pay rise is in negotiations at the mo ( not going to make much difference to the first bit but hey! )
I work here already and I have watched many graduates come in and they all say it’s the best thing they have done. It’s a hit to start but hey can’t spend what you haven’t got!!

martin2345uk

Established Member
Yeah for the first bit of training I’m taking a 26k pay cut which is gonna be a challenge for sure but I’ll kick myself if I don’t go for this now..!!

Mgv1349

If you’re IM the drop is only for 38 weeks, it is longer for pay rises and you only get the one with HH but once you are productive it will be worth it.

Last edited:

TheNewGuy

There's a lot of us in the same situation. If I'm completely honest I'm kind of ignoring the situation in the hope that it will be fine!

Have you considered getting a new credit card. One with 0 percent on purchases. For the first year of training, stick stuff on the card more than you would normally. A few hundred quid a month. By the end of the year you'd have 2-3k on the card but could clear that within a couple of months on top salary.

Oh and also, they might put you in a pool for a course starting at the end of the year. So you'd have 6 months or so on current salary to put a bit aside each month before going down to the low salary?

Just a thought

Lendog2012

Congrats Mike, best of luck in your new role!

TheNewGuy

Is it weird that despite knowing FL HR team won't work on a Sunday, I'm still checking email regularly for DMI results?!?

Can't be long now... (he tells himself)

I know what you mean, I keep checking here to see if anyone has heard anything about the course after next! From the last 4 months I know that won’t happen for a while but I still check lol

DMcq2010

Being a bit presumptuous, if you are waiting for a course you could well be with the first wave from these on going interviews. They are finishing this week, been going on all months and they said there are a few courses this year.

Mr Oli

Hello everyone.

Quick question, if you pass stage 2 computer assessments and MMI would this be a 'national' pass which can be used at any TOC?, or would you have to re-do the MMI at every TOC you apply for? Obviously I assume that you would complete a DMI at every single TOC you apply to.

martin2345uk

Established Member
MMI is part of the industry standard tests so you would not need to do it again for x number of years...

Status
Not open for further replies.