• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Various Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulm36

I've applied for the trainee train driver with Feightliner for the mendip work and passed all the OPC tests and have been invited to take the train driver test in May with Freightliner. However I'm sure I read that they accept previous train driver results from upto 5 years? I ask this because I did all the train driver tests with DBC 4 years ago and passed so would they accept those results or ask me to resit them?
Thank you for any help.
The opc conduct all the tests, stage 1 and stage 2. Freightliner need you to pass these tests to an enhanced level, I believe DBC only require national standard but I'm not certain on that. In short what will happen is you will attend the day regardless and they opc will tell you on the day, which tests they need you to resit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lampsr5

Gents for Birmingham anyone heard anything or are we all still waiting for medicals ? Been a while again to be fair

TGreen

Gents for Birmingham anyone heard anything or are we all still waiting for medicals ? Been a while again to be fair

Still waiting for Birmingham and a medical. I did email them last week about future courses. This was the reply:

Hi Thomas

Unfortunately we have no update on any courses for the rest of the year, we are currently sorting out a course for our contract which is Wembley/reading based so for the time being this is taking up a lot of our time. So after this time we are hoping more courses will be running and will have more of an inkling where they will be for. We shall keep you updated if a course becomes available in your chosen area.

Sorry I could be any more help to you in this instance. Please don’t hesitate to contact the trainee train diver email address if you have any more questions.

GLENMAYE77

I got a similar one when I enquired.
I think if your not in for a London or south west depot we could be waiting a while.....as that’s where Freightliner’s priorities seem to be right now.

Suraggu

I got a similar one when I enquired.
I think if your not in for a London or south west depot we could be waiting a while.....as that’s where Freightliner’s priorities seem to be right now.
You're not wrong. They are desperate for Drivers for the Wembley, Whatley & Bristol depots at present. Work in the North is steady and even using northern depot based drivers to cover turns in the London & Wales area.

GLENMAYE77

There’s an open day for Qulaified drivers in Crewe on Wednesday

My doubt with qualifieds is how many of them would leave there current TOC for a FOC on similar or less money and worse hours?
I can see the odd few moving for personal reasons but can’t see many as a matter of choice.
Majority of posts on this forum seem to be people wanting to go the other way.

I could be wrong, but that’s how I see it.

302PS

Depends which toc they are at, heavy haul is 53 now is it? Plus buckets of
Overtime... and some guys like lates/nights

GLENMAYE77

Depends which toc they are at, heavy haul is 53 now is it? Plus buckets of
Overtime... and some guys like lates/nights

Very true....just appears that’s the exception rather than the norm.

Overtime you say. Hahaha

302PS

That’s not gospel. Only what I’ve heard ha

The variation of work is an appeal to me

Mgv1349

That’s not gospel. Only what I’ve heard ha

The variation of work is an appeal to me
There is loads of overtime! Heavy haul are £53600 and intermodal £49500 base rate.

Some people move over because they don’t like doing A to B everyday and freight have a lot of different job variation and no passengers tapping on the window lol.

Anybody heard anything for the Mendip work based in Frome / Whatley ?

I had my assessments in mid April along with my DMI interview.

I've received an email from the OPC to say I had passed all the assessments and MMI etc and that my application was now with Freightliner.

Not heard anything from Freightliner regarding my DMI etc though.

302PS

What do we reckon they wanna know in the interview?
Toc’s like to ask what you know about the company and the routes etc
But it’s a bit harder to find that sort of stuff out about freight

Regan

There is loads of overtime! Heavy haul are £53600 and intermodal £49500 base rate.

Some people move over because they don’t like doing A to B everyday and freight have a lot of different job variation and no passengers tapping on the window lol.
Your right about the intermodal rate I left colas yellow plant for a job at freightliner birmingham 15 minutes from my house I'll admit I've been working quite a few rest days best job I've ever had.

Suraggu

Your right about the intermodal rate I left colas yellow plant for a job at freightliner birmingham 15 minutes from my house I'll admit I've been working quite a few rest days best job I've ever had.
Don't forget all those lil extras you get salary wise so that base rate isn't strictly true :)

302PS

So it’s sounding more and more like a good move here, unless you’re on for virgin ha

Regan

Your right if you don't do o/t or have any movement within your rostered hours the rate would be £49,500 however if your flexible you can earn a lot more the tax man likes his cut though.

302PS

Does anyone know what a qualified driver starts on pay wise? Do they have a lower rate untill you have your routes?

302PS

Oh of course yeh, Well there’s vacancies for qualified drivers for Heavy Haul at Doncaster, Bristol, Crewe, Reading, Thamesport, Peterborough, Eastleigh, Tilbury, Tunstead and what I assume is Internodal at Crewe, Eastleigh, Ipswich, Mossend, Doncaster, Birmingham, Leeds

Status
Not open for further replies.