• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Various Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJL9916

Generic history questions yes :) The situational ones were 3 most/least important roles and a generic train driver situational rank the answers 1-4 as you would do them task.

Nice one, Good luck Harbon I look forward to updates on here how we progress!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GJL9916

I applied last night, the company history questions were easily answered by a look on the companys website.
Next there were some situational judgement questions, none very specific but along the lines of "I work long hours alone" or "I do several tasks at once" which you had to give a answer ranging from Strongly Agree to Strongly Disagree and neither agree nor disagree inbetween.
After that there were some questions that were more specific but outlined a scenario in which you were given four answers,
you had the pick the best likely response from 1 being the one you'd most likely behave like if you were in the given scenario and 4 being the least likely way to react to the given example.
Some were very easy to choose, based on my knowledge of rules and regs in a similar working environment but I expect a few total newcomers could be caught out by them.

Great stuff, will give them a go tomorrow and see how I get on, looking forward to reading updates on our progression! Good luck Paul

Gorlash1886

Did mine yesterday although doing it after a 12 hour shift which started at 3.30 was probably not the best of times to do it

Atishyou

Could you go from heavy haul to passenger trains once qualified?

There may be a learning contract applied to the role.

If you want to drive passenger trains, apply for a trainee pass driver. I'm not sure why it's really fair on Freightliner to bear the brunt of expensive training, just for you to leave when qualified, if you got the job. Not only that, being a freight driver might be the dream job for someone else and they may miss out!

Rachael92

There may be a learning contract applied to the role.

If you want to drive passenger trains, apply for a trainee pass driver. I'm not sure why it's really fair on Freightliner to bear the brunt of expensive training, just for you to leave when qualified, if you got the job. Not only that, being a freight driver might be the dream job for someone else and they may miss out!
There's no harm in leaving a company once you have gained experience (5 years or so) I never stated that I would jump ship after training but I wouldn't like the idea of only having to stick with freight.

Atishyou

There's no harm in leaving a company once you have gained experience (5 years or so) I never stated that I would jump ship after training but I wouldn't like the idea of only having to stick with freight.

I agree, but the way your post was worded indicated you intended to become qualified then jump ship.

JMH77

Just completed my application for Heavy Haul at the Peterborough Depot. A good selection of questions, I quite enjoyed it. Now to keep everything crossed for good news...

Yellowbelly

Just completed my application for Heavy Haul at the Peterborough Depot. A good selection of questions, I quite enjoyed it. Now to keep everything crossed for good news...
Can you apply to another depot too?

GJL9916

I am going to complete my applications tonight, is it possible to apply for the HH and IM at the same depots? does the application process allow that?

Stigy

Established Member
I applied last night, the company history questions were easily answered by a look on the companys website.
Next there were some situational judgement questions, none very specific but along the lines of "I work long hours alone" or "I do several tasks at once" which you had to give a answer ranging from Strongly Agree to Strongly Disagree and neither agree nor disagree inbetween.
After that there were some questions that were more specific but outlined a scenario in which you were given four answers,
you had the pick the best likely response from 1 being the one you'd most likely behave like if you were in the given scenario and 4 being the least likely way to react to the given example.
Some were very easy to choose, based on my knowledge of rules and regs in a similar working environment but I expect a few total newcomers could be caught out by them.

I too gave it a shot. Not overly difficult, although the SJQs at the end were the usual in that its very difficult some times to put them in order, and the better ones are the ones you just have to select which you’d do rather than order them. For example, there were often a couple that were very close together in terms of what one most definitely would NOT do, so much so it’s difficult to number one of them as 3 and one as 4.

ThatGuy

Does anyone know what standards Freightliner uses? As in National or Enhanced pass rates? Not sure if someone’s already asked

GJL9916

This is a query I’d like further clarification on too.

I have spoke to Freightliner and had the response that both positions involve very similar selection processes so it’s likely that if you fail any OPC assessments your other application will not be progressed, I currently have a live application in for a heavy haul shunt driver too with Freightliner so not sure if they meant it would jeapordise that application as well? I certainly won't be putting in for both trainee driver positions now with me already having a live application with them but really in two minds about the heavy haul trainee driver application as that would be my ultimate goal

xtradj

Both roles are the same access code though

And when you click on the drop down for each depot it doesn’t state whether heavy haul or not for Crewe

Yellowbelly

Both roles are the same access code though

And when you click on the drop down for each depot it doesn’t state whether heavy haul or not for Crewe
Does this mean one questionnaire per person or one questionnaire per depot? I’m confused now. The guidance notes state only one questionnaire to be submitted at any one timeonce you log on.

Ibra

What's the salary for the trainer driver position? Anyone know?

Timpg

What does this mean? Sorry, I’m not familiar with differing standards, I assumed they had a set standard for drivers?

It’s when the scores required in order to pass the tests are raised. Obviously making the tests slightly more difficult.

Dante

I've only just managed to get my application in having been on nights for the last few days - SJT's never fail to make me laugh, the obvious answer is pretty clear but then the 2-4's are always a test of your morals vs company policy.

GJL9916

I have decided not to apply for the trainee driver job at this time as I have an active application in as a shunt driver with FL so want to concentrate on that. Good luck all

Yellowbelly

I've only just managed to get my application in having been on nights for the last few days - SJT's never fail to make me laugh, the obvious answer is pretty clear but then the 2-4's are always a test of your morals vs company policy.
I’ve always thought that. One I found particularly confusing was one that stated “a train has stopped outside a station and passengers are complaining about the time” One option stated no one to leave the train. However, the others all suggested leaving the train and walking on the tracks. The order those three would go in was open to close discretion

Stigy

Established Member
I’ve always thought that. One I found particularly confusing was one that stated “a train has stopped outside a station and passengers are complaining about the time” One option stated no one to leave the train. However, the others all suggested leaving the train and walking on the tracks. The order those three would go in was open to close discretion

Exactly, which is why the SJTs where you just select the option you’d chose are better usually. In this example three of them are ‘no no’ answers, technically. But how do you grade which definite ‘no’ is number four, three and two? That might not have been the best example but there were a couple of questions where it would have been more difficult.

Certainly have to think about what they expect you to put, rather than what morally is correct? Bit like the party question? My misses would kill me if I promised her a dirty weekend only to have to work instead therefore I’d probably let my colleague work tired if he was okay with it and I’d buy him some beers :) :)

Bridger

Hi all, I too applied and also sent an email advising them that I already have completed Psychometric tests under my belt. They replied with a generic Q & A which some may find helpful :) :

Email:

We have received a large volume of emails asking for clarification on some aspects of the Trainee Train Driver recruitment.

We hope the points below will answer your query.

· We are using an external company to manage the first stages of recruitment, so once submitted we are unable to view or amend any applications.

· A strict 60 minute travelling distance to your preferred location has been set and we are unable to consider anyone who has further to travel or wishes to relocate.

· If you have already passed psychometric testing to the enhanced standard, this will be verified and you will not be required to resit the tests.

· We will not be accepting CV’s via email. All applications will be processed via the website.

· We are currently looking to starting training schemes in October 18, December 18 and March 19. These dates may be subject to change.

· All job details such as salary, job descriptions etc will be advised to successful candidates at a later stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.