• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Various Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

slidingdoors

Those who asked about the tones test.. Yes they're slow enough to count. Unless you loose count through a lapse in concentration they won't catch you out. The symbols are a phone directory and you're looking for plumbers (maybe they switch up professions I don't know) but just remember whatever it is profession wise, the WHOLE sheet is dedicated to it (I.e the whole sheet is plumbers and is essentially completely irrelevant), you only care about the symbols. There's 4 different sets of symbols and they're in twos like (examples only) ++ 00 @@ **. So you need to mark these and ignore anything like +@ or *@. You could say it's similar to the group bourden in a way. Work diligently as soon as they say go and you can get through them and mark them all off in the alloted time. Even on the part where you have to count the tones as well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

casualdav

Apologies for the bad grammar in the post I've got three demanding children to deal with and an early start at work tommorow. I'll try and update it when I can.

The lady told us there would be start dates if I remember correctly in October, November and January. She also stated anybody who failed the SJT and VSE has lost a life, you only get two attempts at becoming a train driver.

Oh yeah. The best advice I can offer is make sure you empty your bladder when you can. One poor lad had to forfeit the dfft because he was desperate for the toilet.

Regarding the dfft. When answering make sure you read the fault finding guide thoroughly as appropiate else it will have your pants down.

Jay_t

Those who asked about the tones test.. Yes they're slow enough to count. Unless you loose count through a lapse in concentration they won't catch you out. The symbols are a phone directory and you're looking for plumbers (maybe they switch up professions I don't know) but just remember whatever it is profession wise, the WHOLE sheet is dedicated to it (I.e the whole sheet is plumbers and is essentially completely irrelevant), you only care about the symbols. There's 4 different sets of symbols and they're in twos like (examples only) ++ 00 @@ **. So you need to mark these and ignore anything like +@ or *@. You could say it's similar to the group bourden in a way. Work diligently as soon as they say go and you can get through them and mark them all off in the alloted time. Even on the part where you have to count the tones as well.
Thank god you wrote this, i thought id majorly balls this one up marking every matched pair and not checking if they were plumbers or not!!

Jay_t

Its going to be a loooong 2 week wait for the results! Good luck to those sitting tomorrow

casualdav

Some of the test papers take up a lot of room. All the tables in the room are the same size. There are two seats to each table. However there are about 6 tables at the back which only have one seat. I went in first and made sure I had a table at the back. The only downside is there's no one to copy haha

slidingdoors

Thank god you wrote this, i thought id majorly balls this one up marking every matched pair and not checking if they were plumbers or not!!

I searched on here beforehand and found a post where the person said they wasted the whole time looking for plumbers.. Someone asked before my test as well though and the assessor just said 'they're all plumbers'. All good.. I still nearly screwed it up though as the pairs of symbols (which are matching) have a shade at the bottom. So I wasted 10 seconds seeing if there were pairs with shade and also pairs without a shade (there's not). Luckily I recovered just in time to I think get them all.

slidingdoors

Some of the test papers take up a lot of room. All the tables in the room are the same size. There are two seats to each table. However there are about 6 tables at the back which only have one seat. I went in first and made sure I had a table at the back. The only downside is there's no one to copy haha
Agreed the DFFT can be awkward with all the sheets you have, some of which are quite large. Likewise the group bourden the way it unfolds I found a bit awkward. Also the girl doing it next to me flew through that test like some group bourden jedi master. Every sheet completed. I was distracted be the 'swoosh swoosh swoosh' of her pen going so fast. I heve no idea if she passed mind you.

I was there too, I personally found it much harder than expected. Group Bourdon and the DFFT were definitely my strongest tests, the other tests I struggled with :'( left feeling very deflated as I knew I could've done better. Just have to wait and see, good luck to those who have their assessments coming up soon.

GLENMAYE77

The lady told us there would be start dates if I remember correctly in October, November and January. She also stated anybody who failed the SJT and VSE has lost a life, you only get two attempts at becoming a train driver.

Really.....failing those is a life lost??

Draco

Having recently passed this Stage 1, I'll provide a quick update for anyone interested. I researched this forum a lot prior to my assessment and felt it appropriate to give back to the community.
1. The concentration test (GB) is no different from what you may have used for practice other than it being printed on a different paper. As most people have mentioned, speed and accuracy is key.
2. Glop ( Comprehension Test)
I found this is to be very easy but again each candidate's levels of retaining information differ. The key is writing down important info and ignoring irrelevant ones. A little tip:
- Colour
- Count down markers
- Who perfoms what role
- How GLOP is applied.
3. Tones test - ( ignore the whole story about the lift and just count the tones). I practiced using a keyboard by playing 2 closely related tones. This was my way of ensuring I was prepared and it really helped me.
4. Directory- you'll have just 45 seconds to search for a specified trade with matching symbols. Again, this has been mentioned numerous times, everyone on the listing will either be a plumber, cleaner etc. Don't waste your time looking at the text- just circle the symbols shown to you as per instruction.
5. Tones + Directory
The tone will only start playing once you hear READY? Again, everyone in the listing would be of the same trade - concentrate on the symbols.
This was probably the easiet.

The trick here is once you write down your answer for the tones, continue circling the trades but remain attentive so you don't miss the word READY. I never stopped circling for a minute and I know I got all the answers right -

4. Dials- Yes this is a little different from the practice material but once you understand the logic, the actual test becomes easy. You have opportunities to try out some examples before you begin.
You'll have 7 minutes to answer 43 questions, don't be fooled, it's impossible to answer the entire 43 questions.
Good luck!!

Stanstaff

I was there too, I personally found it much harder than expected. Group Bourdon and the DFFT were definitely my strongest tests, the other tests I struggled with :'( left feeling very deflated as I knew I could've done better. Just have to wait and see, good luck to those who have their assessments coming up soon.
Any good tips on the dfft does the picture of the train show you the fault then you have to go through thee ff guide? Is there only 1 fault to solve on some of the questions? Thanks. Fingers crossed for you mate.

Stigy

Established Member
I was going to ask that anyone give us a heads up? I know it says well groomed and professional? But is that full on suit or shirt and trousers?
I’ll be attending in a suit. I know it’s not specific, however ‘professional’ suggests that’s the type of thing that’ll be expected. I think even if there were no instructions I’d still attend in suit attire anyway, as you can’t go far wrong and first impressions count after all. Worst case scenario you can lose the tie. Alternatively, even wearing a half decent pair of trousers and a shirt would suffice. I think they just don’t want shirts and t-shirts :)

Last edited:

Class323201

I’ll be attending in a suit. I know it’s not specific, however ‘professional’ suggests that’s the type of thing that’ll be expected. I think even if there were no instructions I’d still attend in suit attire anyway, as you can’t go far wrong and first impressions count after all. Worst case scenario you can lose the tie. Alternatively, even wearing a half decent pair of trousers and a shirt would suffice. I think they just don’t want shirts and t-shirts :)

Their were lots in my group who attended in a suit or trousers, shirt and tie. It really is the best type of dress to be professional. Their were a couple of people who attended in ripped jeans I'm not sure if this will be noted by the OPC. I did notice them jot notes down on a pad as they were circulating the room while we were completing the testing. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but you never know. Good luck

4F89

I actually did answer all 43. Just.
But only 13 in the fault finding train bit.
And now home.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Well I enjoyed the morning in the end. I didn’t do great, only 29 on the dials and only completed 11 on the DFFT, but it wasn’t nearly as terrifying as I thought. Great to meet Pete C too. Highly unlikely I met enhanced standard but I had a good time and was good to see these tests in the flesh after years of not even getting this far!

Stanstaff

Well I enjoyed the morning in the end. I didn’t do great, only 29 on the dials and only completed 11 on the DFFT, but it wasn’t nearly as terrifying as I thought. Great to meet Pete C too. Highly unlikely I met enhanced standard but I had a good time and was good to see these tests in the flesh after years of not even getting this far!
Sounds like you did well fingers crossed, what is the jist of the fault finding test? So you look at the picture for the fault and then refer to the guide I feel like a broken record lol but this is the one that is worrying me the most.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Don’t worry it’s honestly not hard, you just need to work slightly faster than I did. They explain it really carefully, step by step, then there’s three practise questions to do and they tell you if you get them wrong and why they’re wrong. Just lots of cross referencing etc.

Stanstaff

Don’t worry it’s honestly not hard, you just need to work slightly faster than I did. They explain it really carefully, step by step, then there’s three practise questions to do and they tell you if you get them wrong and why they’re wrong. Just lots of cross referencing etc.
Thank you well sounds like to me if you completed 11 you done well. I read somewhere that people have passed that test by competing only 9 so hope that’s true mate. Thanks for the advice I have been practising the stuff they sent me so hopefully that will help on the day also if my nerves hold steady.

Pete C

the girl doing it next to me flew through that test like some group bourden jedi master.

Hahaha I had this issue, the guy next to me was flying along and it was kinda distracting, not gonna lie! I'll just have to hope he made more errors than me :D

Great to meet Pete C too.

Cheers Martin, likewise!

Oh and just a general note on dress code, 90% of people were in suits (I was), sure you'd get away with just trousers shirt and tie though. There were a couple who clearly didn't get the message and were in jeans/polo shirts/trainers. That said, I'm not sure it'll make any difference, bet they don't even remember who those people are when they're back marking the tests. Dress code probably matters more at stage 2 which is likely to be at FL HQ in Crewe.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Not a single woman in sight though apart from the two from the OPC, I was quite surprised by that.

PaulBusDriver

Well done and hope you did well to all the drivers at this mornings assessment.

I'm feeling slightly disappointed with my speed of answering on the DFFT and Dials test, I did 11 on the DFFT and 17 on the dials. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though, here's hoping its enough.

xtradj

Wouldn’t worry about how many you do it’s about how many you got right

If you did 12/13/14 or more well done but there is a higher chance some are wrong compared to those who took a bit longer to do each question but only did 9/10 but they may be all right.

I imagine minimum would be 8 but they of course would have to be 100 percent correct. Those who did more would probably have Lea way to get one or two wrong

Stigy

Established Member
Well, I’m out! Long story short I only had to do the Group Borden Test and the DFFT as my previous results were still valid (only ones I needed to do were the enhanced standard of the Dots. As the DFFT is an enhanced only test I obviously had to do that)....only downside was the dots were the first test and the DFFT was the last so I was there all day....it’s a daw out ooop north though lol.

I’m a bit disappointed with how I did to be honest as I think I managed 9 in the DFFT but I’m confident they are correct. I cocked up the first one and went back to it (might have been foolish but now know know it’s correct at least?).

The dots I was always confident with, and did roughly half (if not a few lines more) of each section. I’m not sure what the enhanced standard requirement is, but I worked as quickly and as accurately as possible but still recall the total amount being roughly what I did at non enhanced level? Who knows, fingers crossed for everybody and good luck!

PaulBusDriver

Wouldn’t worry about how many you do it’s about how many you got right

If you did 12/13/14 or more well done but there is a higher chance some are wrong compared to those who took a bit longer to do each question but only did 9/10 but they may be all right.

I imagine minimum would be 8 but they of course would have to be 100 percent correct. Those who did more would probably have Lea way to get one or two wrong
Cheers mate, I hope its enough. I'm pretty sure what I did do was correct as it was the extra time i spent checking over that limited the amount of answers. I suppose there isn't any way to say for sure what's considered enough or what test is more crucial than another but we will see in a couple of weeks and ill put my result up here, it might help a few people to know my feedback and how I might have stuffed up but I hope I haven't!

PaulBusDriver

Well, I’m out! Long story short I only had to do the Group Borden Test and the DFFT as my previous results were still valid (only ones I needed to do were the enhanced standard of the Dots. As the DFFT is an enhanced only test I obviously had to do that)....only downside was the dots were the first test and the DFFT was the last so I was there all day....it’s a daw out ooop north though lol.

I’m a bit disappointed with how I did to be honest as I think I managed 9 in the DFFT but I’m confident they are correct. I cocked up the first one and went back to it (might have been foolish but now know know it’s correct at least?).

The dots I was always confident with, and did roughly half (if not a few lines more) of each section. I’m not sure what the enhanced standard requirement is, but I worked as quickly and as accurately as possible but still recall the total amount being roughly what I did at non enhanced level? Who knows, fingers crossed for everybody and good luck!
Hiya mate, were you the blonde haired chap I spoke to? I was the one you asked if it was the DFFT next and I said "I think so" despite it being the tea-occ instead!
I'm in the same boat as you with feeling a little unhappy with my performance, but that is natural I guess when you want it so much, anything less than perfect and you feel you let yourself down. Hope you get through mate

martin2345uk

Established Member
Just realised I messed up the DFFT - for the brake bit there was the option of a “pre-fault” wasn’t there... and if there were 2 other faults plus that pre-fault, then I guess you shouldn’t choose the pre-fault as one of the faults to fix, and I’m pretty sure I did! :((

Pete C

Just realised I messed up the DFFT - for the brake bit there was the option of a “pre-fault” wasn’t there... and if there were 2 other faults plus that pre-fault, then I guess you shouldn’t choose the pre-fault as one of the faults to fix, and I’m pretty sure I did! :((
My thinking on that was that it's the brakes, so pre-fault or not it's more important than anything happening in the carriage - remember this is the railway, safety safety safety!

I do agree though that it was the only part that seemed slightly ambiguous, possibly deliberately.

Last edited:

PaulBusDriver

My thinking on that was that it's the brakes, so pre-fault or not it's more important than anything happening in the carriage - remember this is the railway, safety safety safety!

I do agree though that it was the only part that seemed slightly ambiguous, possibly deliberately.
If Im right and correct, the order of priority was : Solar Panel, Battery, Engine then Brakes. I found that a bit odd tbh what with brakes being pretty critical but took it on face value. You might be OK mate

Status
Not open for further replies.