• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

French passport checks at Vallorbe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
I've posted a trip report London to Varese including P&O Dover Calais. I mention that the French frontier police are currently checking all passports at Vallorbe on the overnight Milan to Paris. So you get woken at 0410 in the unlikely event that it's on time.

Great, we had that earlier this year from Sofia to Istanbul , first class sleeper,woke up at 02.00 up and dressed and on the platform hanging around for passport control for an hour.

MarcVD

Great, we had that earlier this year from Sofia to Istanbul , first class sleeper,woke up at 02.00 up and dressed and on the platform hanging around for passport control for an hour.

Standard practice. Same at the Turkey-iran border when the trans Asia express was still running. Has been like that for the last 20 years.

MarkyT

Established Member
I recall from childhood holidays that sleeper and couchette stewards sometimes used to collect passports on boarding international overnight trains for later examination by immigration officials, avoiding the need to wake the travellers at border like this. Passengers in seating accommodation on the same trains were not afforded the same luxury. This was pre-Schengen western Europe, so I guess the sleeper operators are no longer geared up to do this anymore. Forcing people up in the early hours is a very customer unfriendly procedure. I understand why they're doing it, but hope it's a temporary thing. If not they need to come up with something better.

Gordon

Back to the good old days. I recall a Swiss customs officer fishing around in my clothes bag at Vallorbe in the middle of the night - his choice!

It's a very odd policy because there is no such check at the many road crossings on the French - Swiss border.

TheSeeker

Really? Even (for example) the Kehl to Strasbourg tram?

I was at a wedding in Strasbourg a couple of weeks ago. The wedding was at Strasbourg town hall and the party over the German border in Kehl (the Villa Schmidt, right on the Rhine). Before we left the groom said "Does everyone have their ID card? There are checks this evening". Sure enough as we crossed the Rhine into Germany there was a huge queue of cars waiting for French passport and customs checks. Luckily they stopped the checks at midnight and at 3am we had no problem getting back into France. Though I really doubt the tram was being checked.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I was at a wedding in Strasbourg a couple of weeks ago. The wedding was at Strasbourg town hall and the party over the German border in Kehl (the Villa Schmidt, right on the Rhine). Before we left the groom said "Does everyone have their ID card? There are checks this evening". Sure enough as we crossed the Rhine into Germany there was a huge queue of cars waiting for French passport and customs checks. Luckily they stopped the checks at midnight and at 3am we had no problem getting back into France. Though I really doubt the tram was being checked.

A few years ago I hired a bike in Strasbourg, cycled across the Rhine into Germany, had a beer and returned. No passport control, which is just as well as my passport was at the bike shop to make sure I didn't nick the bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.