• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Frequency of recruitment trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mte

Hi, my first post here, hope its in the right place. I am interested in becoming a train driver. I am in my early 40s and looking for a career change. I understand the recruitment process is tough, but I would like to give it a go before I get too old! From what I have read online, it seems that Manchester had a recruitment drive in February 2017 (so missed that one). Leeds last recruited in 2014.
I have signed up to alerts etc and live within 40 minutes of leeds. My basic question is how often do Northern recruit for trainee drivers? If the last recruitment was in 2014, should there be one in the next year or so? Or would the Manchester recruitment in 2017 lessen the need for this? Many thanks in advance .Martin

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LETHLFH

Your info about Leeds isn't correct, Northern have recruited heavily for Leeds drivers over last 12-18 months

Mte

Oh right, I must be misinformed. The only historic adverts I found were from 2014 for Leeds. Based on your information ( heavily recruited over last 12/18 months). What would your best guess be on the next round? Thanks martin

baz962

Established Member
Oh right, I must be misinformed. The only historic adverts I found were from 2014 for Leeds. Based on your information ( heavily recruited over last 12/18 months). What would your best guess be on the next round? Thanks martin

I put a post on here maybe a week ago , northern were recruiting for wigan, I know it is other side to Leeds but don't know where you are

Mte

Based oldham. On outskirts saddleworth nr m 62. Ill search to see if ad is still live. Thanks for the info.

LETHLFH

Not sure when next recruitment will be, however Leeds and Manchester are Northerns largest depots so I imagine they are advertised at least once per year to cover natural wastage, I would recommend signing up for job alert emails on Northerns website and prepare some key things you would like in your application in a word document so you can submit your application quickly after it is advertised, more often than not these posts are only advertised for a couple of days or shut down early due to mass interest.

Mte

Thanks for the information and the tip - I have registered for alerts - ill just have to wait and see now.

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.