• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fruit and vegetable shortage

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncanp

Established Member
Now we have the great fruit and vegetable shortage, no doubt stoked up by the media with reports that it could "..last for months.."

Always amuses me how people "..take to Twitter.." to complain about the lack of tomatoes on the supermarket shelves, as if that will do anything.

No doubt local Facebook groups will be filled with people asking which supermarket has which fruit and vegetables.

As far as I am concerned, the shortage of broccoli and cabbage can last for ever.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
Now we have the great fruit and vegetable shortage, no doubt stoked up by the media with reports that it could "..last for months.."

Always amuses me how people "..take to Twitter.." to complain about the lack of tomatoes on the supermarket shelves, as if that will do anything.

No doubt local Facebook groups will be filled with people asking which supermarket has which fruit and vegetables.

As far as I am concerned, the shortage of broccoli and cabbage can last for ever.

What I’ve been told is it’s due to a period of cold weather where they’re grown. The supermarket I work in is really struggling to get in peppers, cucumbers, spinach. The former two are definitely from the same country (Spain) although I can’t remember where we source our spinach.

DelayRepay

Established Member
What I’ve been told is it’s due to a period of cold weather where they’re grown. The supermarket I work in is really struggling to get in peppers, cucumbers, spinach. The former two are definitely from the same country (Spain) although I can’t remember where we source our spinach.
Maybe we'll have to go back to eating fruit and veg in line with the seasons?

I noticed there were no tomatoes in Sainsburys last night. Is it due to shortages, or have people been panic buying due to the media coverage?!

It would help if supermarkets went back to selling tomatoes individually. As a single person I only really want a couple, but have to buy a pack of six.

DelW

Established Member
It would help if supermarkets went back to selling tomatoes individually. As a single person I only really want a couple, but have to buy a pack of six.
Tomatoes ought to keep for quite a while if undamaged.

Every year I grow a few plants of cherry tomatoes. Last year, grown in an unheated conservatory, they were still fruiting well when the very cold week in December finished off the plants. I harvested all the green tomatoes and put them on a big enamel tray on a south facing windowsill, where they've been slowly ripening ever since. Some have rotted or dried (though the latter can still go in stews), but others have lasted long enough that I've eaten a few within the last week. There's not many left worth having now, but that's not surprising as it's over two months since they were harvested.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Must depend on the store as Tesco local to me does some loose produce that I now buy. As well as tomatoes, onions were another one that I would previously be buying a pack of three or four when I only really wanted one.

Broucek

The media coverage is pretty depressing. There are people in the world who have to deal with a shortage of food in total - not just some specific (albeit pretty healthy) examples of it...

alex397

Established Member
It doesn’t seem to be affecting most of continental Europe at the moment. I wonder what makes us different?

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
It doesn’t seem to be affecting most of continental Europe at the moment. I wonder what makes us different?
Although it wasn't clear the implication from last night's BBC news report was that we are importing a significant quantity of our wintertime salad vegetables from Spain and Morocco and comparatively little from the Netherlands. The difference is the growing environment: while Dutch produce isn't likely to be affected by the weather it may well have become rather more expensive due to the energy costs of indoor (glasshouse) farming.

One positive of the pandemic was that I have become more conscious of the benefits of eating fresh fruit and vegetables and as a result am more aware of where it is coming from. It's interesting just how much these days is coming form African countries. I've no idea if Brexit has had an impact on this (I suspect probably not) but while the food miles involved are somewhat regrettable at least it means some lesser developed nations are earning foreign currency quite easily.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
According to the supermarket industry's own sources to the BBC,

"lower domestic production and more complex supply chains, as well as a price-sensitive market. But they said Brexit was unlikely to be a factor."

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I was shopping in Aldi yesterday and there wasn't a tomato to be seen, nor any lettuce. There were some pre-prepared bags of salad leaves but I don't buy them because they don't keep well once opened. Thinking about it, that whole section of the shop was quite empty.

They had fresh peppers, but no frozen. Again, I tend not to buy fresh as I don't use them up in time and they don't sell them loose.

It looks like I'll be taking a trip to the local nursery at the weekend to buy a few plants.

Ediswan

Established Member
For one thing, the huge rise in commercial energy prices has led to many of the Lea Valley greenhouse growers either not planting their "winter" crops, or shutting up shop completely. There is plenty of demand for the land as housing or light industry.

https://hortnews.com/lea-valley-growers-face-extinction/
Sometimes known as the ‘cucumber capital’ of the UK, the Lea Valley is at been at the centre of protected edible cropping in the country, but now growers say that rising energy prices, on top of industry challenges such as access to labour, could mean no greenhouse crops are grown in the region within years.

adc82140

Established Member
There is no shortage, just supermarket supply chain issues. My local independent greengrocers has plenty of stock of everything. It's a bit like the bog roll situation in 2020. None in the supermarkets, and loads in B&Q.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Popped into a Sainsbury’s Local this morning for a lettuce,not one to be seen. No tomatoes either (what’s red and invisible? No tomatoes!). Went to CostCutter where I bought both.

Butts

Veteran Member
Got some Tomatoes in M&S this morning - no problem plenty on the shelves.

Reminds me of "The Egg Crisis" a while back, I never had any trouble sourcing them at the time.

duncanp

Established Member
It does depend on the supermarket and its relationship with the supplier.

Tight fisted supermarkets that pay the suppliers the least they can get away with will be the first to go without if there is a shortage.

Another fact is social media, where people ask on local Facebook and Whatsapp groups about which supermarket has which product in stock, and then descend on the supermarket like a plague of locusts.

The great egg crisis is still with us though.

Aldi had none this morning, and Iceland over the other side of the street only had a few boxes left.

AM9

Veteran Member

Tight fisted supermarkets that pay the suppliers the least they can get away with will be the first to go without if there is a shortage.

Another fact is social media, where people ask on local Facebook and Whatsapp groups about which supermarket has which product in stock, and then descend on the supermarket like a plague of locusts.

Aldi had none this morning, and Iceland over the other side of the street only had a few boxes left.
That checks out my experience. Had to pop round to Waitrose this morning as their oranges and cox apples were rubbish yesterday. I also had a quick look at the salad stuff whilst walking past it, - no noticeable shortages there. Whilst the supply line may be a bit slow, the complete lack of anything has generally been caused by panic buyers. Nothing new there than.

McRhu

The Clyde Valley, where I live, used to be thigh deep in tomatoes from one end to the other. Now for whatever reason I don't think there are any commercial tomato growers left and all the acres of greenhouses have gone. Same with the orchards although some are being reopened for the benefit of local communities. Time to turn back the clock and start growing fruit and veg in the UK again, en-masse.

WAB

I've not been able to get red peppers in Sainsburys for months, and M&S is proving more difficult too now. Fresh produce availability has been getting worse over the last 5-7 years, particularly at Sainsburys.

duncanp

Established Member
And the great tomato shortage could last until April

British tomato shortage could last until end of April, warns UK's largest grower​

Tesco and Aldi became the latest supermarkets to place limits on some vegetables customers can buy due to supply shortages

British tomatoes will likely remain scarce until the end of April or even early May, the UK's largest grower has warned.

It comes after Tesco and Aldi became the latest supermarkets to place limits on some fruit and vegetables customers can buy due to supply shortages.

The soaring cost of energy, and fertiliser also derived from gas, has put British growers off planting tomatoes in glasshouses over winter, which need light and heat, said Phil Pearson, group development director at APS Produce.

The delayed start to the growing cycle means it will be another two months before most British tomatoes are ready for picking, he told Sky News during the National Farmers' Union conference in Birmingham.

This year we have "grown later to try to recover some value because everybody's been squeezed on prices - not just for energy, but fertiliser, labour, everything has gone up," he said.

"So instead of starting [harvesting] end of March, it'll be more like the end of April into May."

APS Produce, which usually picks 650 million tomatoes a year from 70 hectares, has let some of its glasshouses stand empty during dark winter days to avoid the cost of lighting them.

"And what'll also happen is everybody will do the same thing," at the same time, instead of the usual staggered planting and harvests, he said. "So you'll go from famine to feasting in one go, just after Easter."

That will be good news for shoppers, as a glut of supply should bring down prices for the time being. But that means less money for farmers, compounding their struggle to meet costs, he warned.

"Then all of a sudden we've got less income through the summer. So then what we do for the following year?" he asked.

More stable prices and government support with "massive" energy costs would help, he said, and welcome the stabilising of wholesale gas and fertiliser prices.

Rationing warning

On Tuesday the NFU president Minette Batters told Sky News there was a risk of rationing for tomatoes and other vegetables that require light and heat through the winter such as cucumbers, peppers and leafy salads.

Shortly afterwards, Asda and other retailers announced limits on the purchase of some vegetables due to difficult weather in Spain and north Africa - countries Britain relies on more in winter.

On Wednesday Environment Secretary Thérèse Coffey told farmers at the conference "we can't control the weather in Spain" when confronted on the shortages.

"No, but we can be encouraging these guys to be producing here," replied Ms Batters, who on Tuesday urged government to extend a business financial support scheme to horticulture and poultry, some of farming's most energy-intensive industries, which are currently excluded from the package.

Warning for cereals

Meanwhile, one farmer warned a similar problem was brewing for crops with longer growing cycles than the few months needed for many salad vegetables.

Olly Harrison, who grows cereals at Water Lane Farm in Merseyside, said the cost of cooling his rape seed in storage has shot up from around £200 a week to £1,000.

Last year he cut back on fertiliser, but in the end the drought had a worse and greater impact on his yield.

He said energy costs were impacting "straight away on the salad and the veg crops, but when you work it through, we're going to see it on other commodities as well that have a longer growing cycle, it just hasn't happened yet".

"Because people will make a decision: 'Well, I can't afford to grow it,' he told Sky News.

"We either lose money growing them or we lose less money by not producing anything," he added.

"The recent drought has cost me a lot of money," he said. "If I get another one, I'll be like 'there's no point'."

Butts

Veteran Member

Not in M&S Falkirk I got my usual 6 Mixed Sized Eggs for £1 (cheaper than Tesco) to accompany my Tomatoes.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A shortage of cucumbers?

Great, that means salads and sandwiches are less likely to be ruined by the presence of this tastless and pointless soggy crime against flavour!

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

I agree. I'm often in much the same position. It also seems likely to (marginally) exacerbate the shortage if people who want to buy one or two end up having to buy a pack of 6.

I wonder why they don't sell tomatoes individually now? Is it maybe something to do with tomatoes being softer and therefore more prone to damage if handled individually than things like apples and oranges?

brad465

Established Member
If extreme weather is a factor in the shortages as being suggested it's a reminder to those claiming combating climate change is too costly, that there is a cost to not doing anything.

DelayRepay

Established Member
If extreme weather is a factor in the shortages as being suggested it's a reminder to those claiming combating climate change is too costly, that there is a cost to not doing anything.

Indeed - although given we're talking about tomatoes transported to the UK from North Africa, perhaps there is a climate benefit to the shortage?

Broucek

A shortage of cucumbers?

Great, that means salads and sandwiches are less likely to be ruined by the presence of this tastless and pointless soggy crime against flavour!
Yes, but what am I supposed to garnish my Hendricks with? ;)

duncanp

Established Member
A shortage of cucumbers?

Glad I am not the only one who thinks that cucumbers are an abomination.

It is really annoying not to be able to buy a sandwich or a salad because it has cucumber in it.<(<(<(

So the shortage can last until doomsday as far as I am concerned. :D:D:D

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Thus far "experts" have blamed global warming, Brexit and farmers in this country not being paid enough, despite the shortage being foreign grown.

Anybody blamed Putin or Covid yet?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Doesn't really matter who they blame, nobody believes them anyway! Even when if they gave the real reasons, people would still say it was a csse of 'excuses, excuses'...

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Not in M&S Falkirk I got my usual 6 Mixed Sized Eggs for £1 (cheaper than Tesco) to accompany my Tomatoes.
Fruit / veg readily available in Central Scotland? Who'd have thought?! ;)

P.S. Presume that's the M&S Foodhall on the Central Retail Park (near Falkirk Grahamston station) as didn't their main store in the town centre close several years ago?

Jamiescott1

Speaking to my fruit and veg supplier he says that there's only green peppers in new Covent garden market. Brocoli and cauliflower is seeing large price increases too

Status
Not open for further replies.