• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fruit Flies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is that near you? I'll head there now and catch it before it closes.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Where am I going to get banana proof paper on a bank holiday weekend? I'll try and stun it instead. I've put vinegar and wine in it for the moment.

Edit - I just nearly caught this cat while I was writing this.

You let the banana escape too (unless the cat ate it).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You let the banana escape too (unless the cat ate it).

I know. It's just all a massive mess and I haven't even caught one fruit fly in my trap yet.
I thought I had but I got the jar out of the recycling and I think there was already a dead one in there.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
That which is closed will one day be open. (St. Thomas Aquinas)

In the interests of accuracy, I should perhaps point out that I cannot recall any such quote from Thomas Aquinas, and a
quick search
doesn't find it.

By the way this post is made in the spirit of this quote:

The study of truth requires a considerable effort - which is why few are willing to undertake it out of love of knowledge - despite the fact that God has implanted a natural appetite for such knowledge in the minds of men.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That is very easily explained by anyone with an in-depth knowledge of medieval philosophy - I made it up. You'll find that is a recurring feature of my posts.

But the fruit fly trap works. You can't have made that up.

DaleCooper

Established Member
The fruit fly saga continues...

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0000443

Order in Spontaneous Behavior

Abstract

Brains are usually described as input/output systems: they transform sensory input into motor output. However, the motor output of brains (behavior) is notoriously variable, even under identical sensory conditions. The question of whether this behavioral variability merely reflects residual deviations due to extrinsic random noise in such otherwise deterministic systems or an intrinsic, adaptive indeterminacy trait is central for the basic understanding of brain function. Instead of random noise, we find a fractal order (resembling Lévy flights) in the temporal structure of spontaneous flight maneuvers in tethered Drosophila fruit flies. Lévy-like probabilistic behavior patterns are evolutionarily conserved, suggesting a general neural mechanism underlying spontaneous behavior. Drosophila can produce these patterns endogenously, without any external cues. The fly's behavior is controlled by brain circuits which operate as a nonlinear system with unstable dynamics far from equilibrium. These findings suggest that both general models of brain function and autonomous agents ought to include biologically relevant nonlinear, endogenous behavior-initiating mechanisms if they strive to realistically simulate biological brains or out-compete other agents.
...and there's more, watch this space.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

Attachments

• FruitFlyMaths.gif
    FruitFlyMaths.gif
    14 KB · Views: 16

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I assumed everyone would be familiar with that equation.

Well I certainly was. Although I prefer the complicated one that I'm not going to bore everyone with now as I'm sure we all know it.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Well I certainly was. Although I prefer the complicated one that I'm not going to bore everyone with now as I'm sure we all know it.

I'm sure I do know it and will recognize it, but I'm not sure I can place exactly which of the more complicated fruit fly equations you're referring to. Perhaps if you could quote it in full, that would jog my memory?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm sure I do know it and will recognize it, but I'm not sure I can place exactly which of the more complicated fruit fly equations you're referring to. Perhaps if you could quote it in full, that would jog my memory?

Look I'll come clean here, I'm a bit embarrassed about the exam results that I got 28 years ago and I was just trying to bluff it with the whole equation thing.
I don't really know the complicated one, in fact I don't even know how to spell complyicayted properly and I think I've just let myself and everyone else down.
I'm sorry (crying face).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hopefully moving away from maths. I've now caught 8 fruit flies in the patented Da Vinci/Da Cooper Quasi Equational Occasional Fly Trap.
There's also another inside waiting to plunge in, as well as a fly type thing that's halfway between a fruit fly and a normal fly, I don't know what he's done wrong to be honest but things are looking pretty bleak for him right now.
I've read him the last rites.

Attachments

• IMG_3477.jpg
    IMG_3477.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

DaleCooper

Established Member
Look I'll come clean here, I'm a bit embarrassed about the exam results that I got 28 years ago and I was just trying to bluff it with the whole equation thing.
I don't really know the complicated one, in fact I don't even know how to spell complyicayted properly and I think I've just let myself and everyone else down.
I'm sorry (crying face).

That would be easier to understand if you put it in algebraic form.

Perhaps you'd be happier with a more visual presentation.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-crazy-device-that-shows-fruit-flies-have-free-will-1459261376

The crazy device that shows fruit flies have free will.

Do we have free will? If we don't, we're one step down the metaphysical ladder from fruit flies. Yes, people have determined that fruit flies have free will. And yes, the experimental fly chamber they created to find this out is really freaking weird.

Attachments

• Chamber.png
    Chamber.png
    156.6 KB · Views: 13

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Fruit flies have free will? Err... is that dangerous or only if they live in a communist country?

By the way... that's a hoverfly in the image, not a fruit fly.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Fruit flies have free will? Err... is that dangerous or only if they live in a communist country?

By the way... that's a hoverfly in the image, not a fruit fly.

I'll admit that I don't always understand the maths Peter (I don't even know if I should actually call it math). But if you coloured that hover fly in I think it would look like a fruit fly.
I feel that my role in all of this is to be at the actual coal face as it were.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It turns out that they like orange juice more than anything...

Attachments

• IMG_3479.jpg
    IMG_3479.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 8

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Customer - "Waiter, what's that fly doing in my orange juice?"

Waiter - "I think it's the backstroke sir."

I was thinking last night that after all the fruit fly drowning I might come back as one in the next life and that would be terrible.
But then I thought. Don't be so stupid!
They have a fantastic time, according to your post #84.

Status
Not open for further replies.