• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fruit Juice Stops Drugs Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayum

Established Member
http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=9272608

And they're only just saying things like this now??

As said in the article - it's already been found to nullify the effects and absorption of Cylcosporin - I took that years ago when i was like, 6 - and was told the same thing then, and they're only just reporting on it now??!!

Besides - don't most medicines and leaflets say - Take this drug with tumbler of water...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mrcheek

Established Member
interesting that they tested it using an antihistamine. many allergy sufferers take their pills with orange juice, as its known that the vitamin c in juice is a natural antihistamine. and now it seems that the effect will be cancelled out...

me123

Established Member
Remeber, Cyclosporin is one drug. Citirizine, also a hayfever medicine, is a different chemical altogether, and it is important to remember it may have different effects. Not all prescribed hayfever medicine is the same!

An interesting study, though, especially since fruit juice can be an anti-histamine. I know that it's been known before (I'm sure many people have seen "do not eat grapefruit") but hopefully some more research can be done, especially as to why antihistamines "cancel each other out". :?

mrcheek

Established Member
especially as to why antihistamines "cancel each other out". :?

i would assume its something to do with the high acid content of fruit juices. maybe they effectively destroy the tablet on its way through the body, rendering it useless before it gets into your system.

on a related note, whilst I never use illicit substances myself, I do remember once being told that if you were using ecstasy, it was advisable to keep a glass of orange juice handy, as it could reduce the effects if you couldnt handle the drug.

me123

Established Member
Could be... could also be some other sort of drug reaction (Vitamin C?) but acidity makes sense, particularly with Grapefruit as it is very acidic indeed, and a neutralisation reaction would definately render the drug useless.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yes, and maybe if you didn't they would work better....

Some may say, you've almost always failed (at taking medication).
:roll:

Well I didn't know that it was a problem until I read this thread!

Bayum

Established Member
Could be... could also be some other sort of drug reaction (Vitamin C?) but acidity makes sense, particularly with Grapefruit as it is very acidic indeed, and a neutralisation reaction would definately render the drug useless.

Tablets such as Cyclosporin tablets are really thick though, so that they can pass through the Stomach where all the pH1 Acid's are etc... So, I doubt that the Acidity of Grapefruit juice taking it down into the stomach would be a problem...

Remeber, Cyclosporin is one drug. Citirizine, also a hayfever medicine, is a different chemical altogether, and it is important to remember it may have different effects. Not all prescribed hayfever medicine is the same!

An interesting study, though, especially since fruit juice can be an anti-histamine. I know that it's been known before (I'm sure many people have seen "do not eat grapefruit") but hopefully some more research can be done, especially as to why antihistamines "cancel each other out".

Yeee - Cylcosporin is an Anti - Rejection drug used for transplant suffers - one of those lifetime drugs.

And, I didn't know that Antihistamine's taken together *cancel each other out* I always thought it was more todo with the fact that they could double up on Side Effects, and make the side effects worse. Also, some Antihistamines have like, a *decongesting* effect on the nasal passages, which cancels out the feeling tired, because of all the extra oxygen being able to get through the nose and into the body

Gizmogle

Established Member
Whoah...someone's obviously had their fair share of medication.

What about Ferrous Sulphate, Flucloxacillin and Fluoxetine?
Although, I have been taking them with orange juice recently due to the braceyness.

Cheers.

class 313

Established Member

Although, I have been taking them with orange juice recently due to the braceyness.

Cheers.

I hope you have stopped using juice though...

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yes, of course.

*hides in the corner with a juice box in a paper bag*

Bayum

Established Member

Cheers.

Erm

Ferrous Sulphate - Iron supplement I think... So don't hold me to this if it's not... That should be fine with juice, I think when I was on it, I don't remember being told not to take it with certain things...

Flucloxacillin - I think is an Antibiotic?? Judging by the last few letters, and the fact that I've taken it... Anyways - should be taken with food, a glass of milk or an hour before food

Fluoxetine - No special things for this - just be wary of taking things like Aspirin, Ibuprofen as they have both been shown to cause blood to thin and take longer to clot....

Quite a load your on there Gizzy!! But apart from the Flucloxacillin - there shouldn't be any problem with taking them with fruit juice =)

Bayum

Established Member
Ack - another antibiotic that can't be used against MRSA =/

Bayum

Established Member
In drug context though... It will be an Iron Supplement - or preperation I guess

FusionRail

Irn Bru in other words!

We all know that Arzt-Pfeffer causes ein reduzierte Sperma-Zählung 8)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So, thats why the Cetirizine Dehydrochloride I have been on the past 4 years doesn't work very well! Its usually taken with Orange, or Milk or Water depending on whats closest at the time.

Apart from in the winter when it does seem to stop me from getting colds. I seem to have got somehow 'addicted' to it as if I don't take one for a day or two I get a chronic itch all over!

Bayum

Established Member
Any other drug questions =D

I kinda liked answering Gizzy's stuff =D

Status
Not open for further replies.