• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fruit Juice Stops Drugs Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Any other drug questions =D

I kinda liked answering Gizzy's stuff =D

Oh, well, while we're at it. If anyone knows anything about this:

I'm on 500mg for Flucloxocillin a day. I've almost finished it all. The infection was on my right ear. It's gone down ALOT since I've been taking it, but still scabs and leaks puss occassionally. Shouldn't the infection have gone completely by now? I have missed a couple of doses before due to mega forgetfulness.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mbonwick

Established Member
You may need another course of Flucloxocillin. I know when I had gingivitis it didn't clear up properly until about 2 weeks after I finished the course. I went back to the doctor and he prescribed me another course, to get if I felt I needed it. Fortunatley I didn't [you can't have alcohol with it]

Bayum

Established Member
Your generally not supposed to have alcohol with any antibiotic...

Erm - Gizzy - Yes it should be, but some infections are obviously worse than others... And you have a bad infection... Missing some doses wont help it, but if you feel it's still really bad - then go back to the doctors and just tell them

Gizmogle

Established Member
I have a bad infection? Crikey. Although, I guess my immune system is a little crappy.

I will be seeing the doctor again if it doesn't clear up, but I'm in Wales for the next few days, and I should finish my early tomorrow.

Bayum

Established Member
Well - usually they say like, the infection should clear up within the two weeks of prescribed antibiotics. But obviously, if the infection doesn't clear up, it's either a bad infection, or the antibiotics aren't strong enough. Although - from experience, Flucloxacillin is quite a strong antibiotic anyways isn't it?

Bayum

Established Member
I dont know... But too much of a good thing?? Isn't that what they always say?? And now they're saying not to take supplements anyways aren't they!!??

Bayum

Established Member
You can't OD on vitamin C though. It'll just give you the runs :p

I think you can... I'll see if I can find where I read it...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Nope - you can't. Was just something on Vitamin C Mega Overdosage

Gizmogle

Established Member
I dunno, I imagine if you ate platefules of the 500mg Vit C tablets everyday, it might do you some damage. If only due to the diarrhea that it'd cause!

And no, fortunately, I've never had that much vitamin C.

Bayum

Established Member
Nah - it doesn't cause any damage at all apparently. People supposedly take more than 10,000mg Daily of the stuff, and the only things that happen to them is - mild stomach discomfort if taken on an empty stomach, and the diahorrea as mentioned before.

Gizmogle

Established Member
But you could quite easily die from the diarrhea. Dehydration and all that. So even though it's not a direct cause, the vitamin C could still kill you.

Bayum

Established Member
Well yeah - but the diahorrea, isn't a definite symptom... As like all side effects, it will only occur in some people, and not others. And I dont think it would be constant Diahorrea, just intermittent.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yeah. But as they act as a laxative (as do sugar free sweets) I would have thought, that given enough, anyone would get the runs from them?

class 313

Established Member
But you could quite easily die from the diarrhea. Dehydration and all that. So even though it's not a direct cause, the vitamin C could still kill you.

Only if you don't drink. It only kills in an environment like a forest or something.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Hahahah, yes!

Did you ever see that story in the news about the mum who went on a radio show to win her kids a Wii? She had to have a water drinking contest with another woman...then her brain swelled and she died.

I think the kids probably ended up getting the Wii though!

Bayum

Established Member
I hope the kids and the family got a helluva lot more than a wii!!

Bayum

Established Member
It happened a few years ago with Leah Betts. 18th birthday, took ecstasy, was told to drink lots of water... Lining around her brain swelled up, pressure killed her

O L Leigh

Established Member
Meaning that she died because she dropped a bad "E". There was no way she could have drunk so much water in the short time before taking the tablet and her losing consciousness.

Of course it's theoretically possible to die of over-hydration, but that's not the same thing as saying that someone has. Perhaps you need to try a bit more research.

O L Leigh

P156KWJ

Established Member

overdosing on anything can be fatal. Apparently some woman went way OTT on fruit (all she ate all day every day) and it nearly killed her with dehydration from diarrhea, and she found it difficult to breath and do simple tasks.

Bayum

Established Member
Meaning that she died because she dropped a bad "E". There was no way she could have drunk so much water in the short time before taking the tablet and her losing consciousness.

Of course it's theoretically possible to die of over-hydration, but that's not the same thing as saying that someone has. Perhaps you need to try a bit more research.

O L Leigh

We did a topic on it...

She did die of water poisoning...

One of her friends told her to drink loads of water - she drank somewhere in the region of 5-7 litres of water in less than an hour and a half... The water thinned her blood, and caused pressure around the brain - which killed her. I have done my research, and I did about in Science for GCSE as well... It wasn't just the bad E - it was the fact that she drank so much water as well.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Strange thing to study in a GCSE science lesson.

7 litres of water in 90 minutes is not a fatal dose. If you drink this amount of water in the normal course of events you will just be going to the loo lots but will suffer no other ill-effects. Leah Betts did not die simply because she drank too much water. Her problem was that a chemical component in the "E" that she took prevented her body from passing the excess fluids which resulted in over-hydration. She was possibly daft to drink quite so much, but it was the "E" that started the process that eventually lead to her death.

O L Leigh

Bayum

Established Member
As I said - by saying *It wasn't just the E*... and I stand by what I said before.

The dangers of ecstasy are still being debated, with the death of Leah helping to obscure the issue.

Initial media reports suggested she had been affected by a contaminant in the tablet before speculating about an allergic reaction to ecstasy itself.

But Leah did not die of an allergic reaction to either ecstasy or a contaminant.

The teenager died because of "water intoxication", after consuming more than three litres of water in a very short space of time.

When too much water is consumed, tissue in the body can swell. In the case of the brain, this can lead to seizures, coma and death.

The problem - and the related drop in salt levels, hyponatremia - is more commonly encountered by endurance athletes.

In Leah's case, excessive water consumption was exacerbated by the ecstasy causing her body to release anti-diuretic hormones, stopping a normal level of urination that could have saved her.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4440438.stm

O L Leigh

Established Member
OK. Lets be precise.

Leah Betts died from a cerebral oedema caused by water intoxication and hyponatremia as a result of drinking too much water in a short space of time. However, it was noted at the inquest into her death that simply drinking this volume of fluid would not have been sufficient to have killed her. The reason why it did was because the ecstasy caused an excessive release of anti-diuretic hormone that prevented her from passing the excess fluid.

Drinking too much water was a factor in Leah Betts' death, but it was not the only cause. If she hadn't taken ecstasy she would have had a normal reaction to fluid overload (peeing loads) and survived.

I'm closing the book on this line of discussion now. I know we're effectively talking about the same thing here so I'm not going to push it any further. Yes you can theoretically die from a fluid overload, but this is not normally the case unless other factors are at work such as certain brain injuries, cancers or infections, or intoxication by certain drugs (including ecstasy).

O L Leigh

Status
Not open for further replies.