• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Frustrating Southern ticket refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksonbang

Good morning,

I've just been refused twice a refund on an advance ticket for travel last Saturday (30th July). I requested the refund using the online booking form the day before, I had not printed out the tickets in advance so could not cut them up and photograph them. My reason for not travelling was industrial action based on advice from their own website.

The only advice was :

"please check our website as you might be entitled to claim a non-cashable voucher to the same value as your ticket as we have made exceptions to support government guidance."

but I cannot see how to do this other than make a third attempt at the same refund although now my order number does not bring up the tickets anymore.

Is anyone successful getting these vouchers from Southern?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Good morning,

I've just been refused twice a refund on an advance ticket for travel last Saturday (30th July). I requested the refund using the online booking form the day before, I had not printed out the tickets in advance so could not cut them up and photograph them. My reason for not travelling was industrial action based on advice from their own website.

The only advice was :

"please check our website as you might be entitled to claim a non-cashable voucher to the same value as your ticket as we have made exceptions to support government guidance."

but I cannot see how to do this other than make a third attempt at the same refund although now my order number does not bring up the tickets anymore.

Is anyone successful getting these vouchers from Southern?

Thanks
Were any of the trains you intended to catch cancelled?

What exactly did the website say?

jacksonbang

Was this before 18:00 the day before? And are you happy to receive the refund in eVouchers?

Yes, it was in the morning of the day before. I never checked the trains were cancelled - the website (still) shows the advice of industrial action on the 30th July and how a refund can be obtained, on any ticket type, if you no longer wish to travel.

I have no issue with e-vouchers.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Yes, it was in the morning of the day before. I never checked the trains were cancelled - the website (still) shows the advice of industrial action on the 30th July and how a refund can be obtained, on any ticket type, if you no longer wish to travel.

I have no issue with e-vouchers.
In which case there is absolutely no doubt that you are entitled to a full refund under the Book with Confidence scheme. I think I would attempt to contact Southeastern* to query why they are rejecting your refund request.

*This assumes you purchased the tickets from Southeastern.

Starmill

Veteran Member
In which case there is absolutely no doubt that you are entitled to a full refund under the Book with Confidence scheme. I think I would attempt to contact Southeastern* to query why they are rejecting your refund request.

For the one that was on a strike day there's of course the additional option of a refund by the payment method in addition to the book with confidence voucher.

jacksonbang

the one that was on a strike day there's of course the additional option of a refund by the payment method in addition to the book with confidence voucher.

This was Southern Railway but the advice on their website for 30th July, which is still there, was not to travel unless necessary and all tickets could be refunded.

The refund form is unsuitable for use - I remember last week it would not let me use Unused option only Disruption and, as I said above, it now has no record of my purchase so I cannot complete it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.