• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FTPE 'dating' tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheff1

Established Member
I don't have a copy of the NRCoC in front of me, but isn't there something about defaced tickets being invalid? Surely a big scribble on it counts as defaced?

The term used is 'altered', but if a scribble counts as altering a ticket then any mark or stamp on a ticket must surely be an alteration. On that basis thousands of people will be using altered, and hence invalid, tickets every day :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The term used is 'altered', but if a scribble counts as altering a ticket then any mark or stamp on a ticket must surely be an alteration. On that basis thousands of people will be using altered, and hence invalid, tickets every day :)

Let's not go down that route. :D

Flamingo

Established Member
If the passenger intends to break their journey (hardly an impulse move for the average passenger), then expecting them to be a bit pro-active and asking the guard to endorse the ticket is hardly unreasonable.

sheff1

Established Member
If the passenger intends to break their journey (hardly an impulse move for the average passenger), then expecting them to be a bit pro-active and asking the guard to endorse the ticket is hardly unreasonable.

Maybe not if you get a 'reasonable' guard, but with some of the EMT crowd you would run the risk of threatened ticket withdrawal and/or a PF on the basis that break of journey is not allowed <(. I am quite happy to argue the point later if a scribble/date is queried, but there really does not seem to be any point in kicking off a 'discussion' yourself.

Last edited:

furryfeet

This is true - just to clarify though, there is no requirement on the behalf of the passenger to do this

So where does this legally leave the poor passenger ?
How can the passenger "prove" that they have not used the ticket twice ?

steadmane

I would never assume the passenger would have to prove it. You are in possession of a ticket. It's the inspector/RPI that would have to prove it's invalid for whatever reason not just a BOJ.

Doesn't stop the possibility of awkward interaction of course.

sheff1

Established Member
So where does this legally leave the poor passenger ?

If you are using a ticket in accordance with the NRCoC, and any other relevant T&Cs, there should be no requirement for a passenger to 'prove' anything. Of course, EMT (and possibly others) seem to believe the NRCoC does not apply to them.

Sidious

The interaction on the train may be embarrassing particularly if it is a full train, and the ticket examiner is insistent.

However travelling without a valid ticket is a criminal offence, and as with most criminal offences it is for the prosecution to prove the offence, not for the defendant to disprove it. If a passenger (like me) is challenged, I will happily stand up to the facts that I have broken my journey and am continuing it which is my right under the terms of issue. If the train company wish to allege otherwise, then they need to provide evidence to substantiate that allegation.

Status
Not open for further replies.