• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fuel price Motorway protests

Status
Not open for further replies.

judethegreat

Having recently bought a car as I had big plans for the summer, I'm somewhat in a quandary now as to when and how to use it. Sunday I wanted to go to York, (currently living near Scarborough) just for the day and after reviewing the costs involved decided thus:
It's about an 100 mile round trip (ok 80 but plus a little bit of exploring) so about 1/4 of a tank of fuel. This is about 10 litres. This equates to about £19 in fuel alone, plus parking etc which would be a few ££ on top. I'd reckon about £25 in total taking to car. The bus (843) is £19 return but takes a while, the train (TPE so it may or may not run, depending on the way the coin toss lands) was about £21 return. In the end I decided on the train so the economies of running a car for myself will take a little bit of thinking about and may end up in the car being sold on.
This weekend I'm looking at a possible day trip to Blackpool and again the train at ~£50 return is the clear winner. Driving would be about 300 miles return so 3/4 of a tank so upwards of £57 for fuel alone, plus parking etc. The convenience of the car is unbeatable, it is however a luxury that is now almost unaffordable to run. What's fuel gone up by ? over 40% in a couple of years (£1.30 - £1.90 ??)
Wow... so the cost of motoring is now actually comparable with one single person travelling by public transport

What is the comparison like with freight transportation?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

There have been fuel price protests across Europe, in the last few weeks.
Last week, some motorway links across the Netherlands- Germany border were blocked by lorries and tractors.

All governments have limited ability to contain international price rises., but what are they doing to address the issue of wholesale oil prices falling, whilst the price of fuel at the pumps keeps rising?

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
There have been fuel price protests across Europe, in the last few weeks.
Last week, some motorway links across the Netherlands- Germany border were blocked by lorries and tractors.

All governments have limited ability to contain international price rises., but what are they doing to address the issue of wholesale oil prices falling, whilst the price of fuel at the pumps keeps rising?
I think a law should be passed forcing fuel suppliers to link their pricing to oil pricing so when oil comes down the price at the pump has to come down.

johncrossley

Established Member
In 2000 they blockaded the refineries, which caused severe disruption. Why aren't they doing that now?

Status
Not open for further replies.