• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Funny YouTube Subtitle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Those aliens must be rather larger than the one that gets trodden on in the TV advert after threatening to invade Earth...

krus_aragon

Established Member
Youtube certainly doesn't have the monopoly on this. Subtitles for live television (which are typed in phonetically) can be a gold mine.

During the opening ceremony for the 2008 Olympics, as the competitors marched into the stadium, at one point the BBC's subtitles read "but for these atheletes, it is simply a dream to be chaste" . o_O

najaB

Veteran Member
Youtube certainly doesn't have the monopoly on this. Subtitles for live television (which are typed in phonetically) can be a gold mine.
They're normally produced by automated speech recognition software. Which is much, much better than it used to be but can still result in the occasional howler.

For anyone who has a AWS account, have a play around with Amazon Transcribe: https://aws.amazon.com/transcribe/

krus_aragon

Established Member
They're normally produced by automated speech recognition software. Which is much, much better than it used to be but can still result in the occasional howler.

For anyone who has a AWS account, have a play around with Amazon Transcribe: https://aws.amazon.com/transcribe/
My memory had gone a bit misty over time, it is indeed a trained speaker talking to speech recognition software, with a keyboard to select homophones (and do other stuff). At least it is these days.

The mistaken subtitle was definitely as I typed it, though. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.