• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future Driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePannier

Hi,

I'm one of those teenagers who just doesn't know what to do with themselves when they reach adulthood. I wanted to be a bus driver for a long time, then realised I could do more than just that. I plan to do Business at university, because I know there are a lot of things you can do with that, whether it be General Business or Management, etc.

At the minute I'm torn between a lot of things. I'd like to work at Go North East's head office as a manager of some sort; as that's good pay and something I'm heavily interested in. However, I wouldn't mind becoming a train driver.

So, can anyone fill me in on the perks and downsides of becoming a train driver? I live near Newcastle, and I would hope to possibly drive on the ECML, should I choose such a path, so I suppose that would be my nearest place for changeovers, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Marcus

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rich McLean

Established Member
Hi,

I'm one of those teenagers who just doesn't know what to do with themselves when they reach adulthood. I wanted to be a bus driver for a long time, then realised I could do more than just that. I plan to do Business at university, because I know there are a lot of things you can do with that, whether it be General Business or Management, etc.

At the minute I'm torn between a lot of things. I'd like to work at Go North East's head office as a manager of some sort; as that's good pay and something I'm heavily interested in. However, I wouldn't mind becoming a train driver.

So, can anyone fill me in on the perks and downsides of becoming a train driver? I live near Newcastle, and I would hope to possibly drive on the ECML, should I choose such a path, so I suppose that would be my nearest place for changeovers, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Marcus

At a young age, your best bet in order to get your foot into the door would be to apply for a Customer Services assistant role, booking office clerk or Catering Assistant (where applicable)

Once you get in, you can work your way up to driver internally, and is generally easier than applying "off the street" to become a driver. Also, you wouldn't be looked at until you are at least 21 before driving trains.

If you want to become a driver one day on say the ECML, then apply for a Northern position, ie booking office clerk etc, then work your way up to Guard then driver with Northern. Get a few years there and get your experience built up, and then apply to whoever runs the ECML franchise at the time for a driver position then.

Last edited:

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Better idea. Go to uni, forget all about railways, and see what you feel like when you come out the other end of the process, as you'll develop a hell of a lot as a person in the interim.

Go out there into the big, wide world, do the sort of work Graduates are supposed to do, and if you realise that the corporate world sucks, put in for driving directly, once you've a bit of responsibility and life experience on your CV. No need for all this catering staff business, etc.

What is correct, is that you've very little chance of getting recruited as a trainee by an inter city outfit. They tend to poach qualifieds with 5+ years experience, and an excellent (read clean) safety record.

PS - not meant harshly, but watch last week's Apprentice, for some excellent and succinct advice from Lord Sugar, to a Business Studies (or any other) graduate!

W230

Established Member
Go out there into the big, wide world, do the sort of work Graduates are supposed to do, and if you realise that the corporate world sucks, put in for driving directly, once you've a bit of responsibility and life experience on your CV. No need for all this catering staff business, etc.
Good advice. Worked for me anyway... ;)

LowLevel

Established Member
I'm a uni dropout who wound up as a guard and couldn't be happier - a bit bitter about the wasted loan I pay between £100 and £200 a month to but I wouldn't say uni did anything for me, except slow me down.

387star

On Moderation
Better idea. Go to uni, forget all about railways, and see what you feel like when you come out the other end of the process, as you'll develop a hell of a lot as a person in the interim.

What is correct, is that you've very little chance of getting recruited as a trainee by an inter city outfit. They tend to poach qualifieds with 5+ years experience, and an excellent (read clean) safety record.

PS - not meant harshly, but watch last week's Apprentice, for some excellent and succinct advice from Lord Sugar, to a Business Studies (or any other) graduate!

Having read a few of your posts You clearly think no one in their right mind who wants to become a driver should join the rail industry and work their way up because you look down on certain roles eg platform assistant as beneath you and insufficient for life experience...

many internals are quite capable of performing the job well and have gained invaluable railway experience

Last edited:

ash39

Established Member

Absolutely shocking advice! Go to university and build up a debt that you'll carry for the rest of your life (or just never pay back if you end up in a poorly paid job) just to 'develop as a person' ?

Unless you have a specific career in mind that requires a particular degree, there is no value whatsoever in going to university. If the OP is seriously thinking about being a train driver then an entry level safety critical job of some description would be a much wiser choice, at least they are then earning an income whilst deciding what career path to take.

Or, as ml says above, start out with an entry level job on the railways. Even better chance of working up the ladder that way, though I appreciate even entry level jobs are hard to get into.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
At 18 I started as a platform dispatcher, 6 years on I'm a qualified driver. I know of some who have done it in a shorter time. It can be done, but you probably won't walk straight into a job at the bigger inter city TOC's - that's not to say you can't!

ThePannier

Thanks all for your advice - must appreciated! I think, judging by the way things look, I may do University and see what I feel like upon finishing. I reckon what Rich McLean says, about starting with Northern Rail, is what would probably be best for someone like me. Working local routes on local trains would suit me well, even if I start at the very bottom!

Thanks once again guys!

TheVicLine

Best advice on here :D

red2005

Hi,

Thanks in advance,
Marcus

hi mate

I am no expert obviously but if I were you I would just pick one field and put all your efforts into that then forget about the rest!.....there is a lot of variety there in terms of the jobs listed all of which would probably require your 100% attention.......having loads of different career choices floating around in your head probably wouldn't help you.......I know any uncertainty would certainly be detected within your answers at most railway interviews!

don't get me wrong as teenagers we all wanted to be pilot's, firemen, coppers or train drivers but you generally settle on one or get one and move to another after deciding the initial one wasn't for you!.......but what I would say is mate is that only you can make that decision so choose the one that feels right and forget about the rest.

perks of the railway?..........good hours, security, sense of responsibility, variety, discounted travel, making fantastic new friends that are there for life and the ability to get on in the job and most importantly job satisfaction.

downsides?.....unsociable hours, the general public (yes I know they pay our wages yaaawwwnn) moaning colleagues.

that's about it really and in spite of the downsides most people are still really enthusiastic about the job and wouldn't go elsewhere.

the world is pretty much your oyster once you are in but there is no point in going for this particular industry if your head or heart lie elsewhere.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Having read a few of your posts You clearly think no one in their right mind who wants to become a driver should join the rail industry and work their way up because you look down on certain roles eg platform assistant as beneath you and insufficient for life experience...

many internals are quite capable of performing the job well and have gained invaluable railway experience

The difference is, I'm speaking from the viewpoint of someone who actually has the job!
I also come from a similar background to the OP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.