• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future of the Blackpool South line

Status
Not open for further replies.

lachlan

Another improvement could be moving Blackpool pleasure Beach to the north, bringing it closer to the entrance to the Pleasure Beach. Not a big issue, but if the line were being rebuilt, it would increase the usefulness of the station

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Probably because a Pacer is a bus. Kind of lol

Although the last few times I’ve used the train on the branch (roughly four times a year) I have been hoping for a pacer, and it has been a 150 or 156 every time.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Another improvement could be moving Blackpool pleasure Beach to the north, bringing it closer to the entrance to the Pleasure Beach. Not a big issue, but if the line were being rebuilt, it would increase the usefulness of the station
Watson Road is probably the better place for it, otherwise you just get too close to Blackpool South.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
I still maintain the smartest thing is to extend the Tram system to Lytham, and then just run a half-hourly service on the main line network from Lytham to Preston etc.

Let's be brutally honest, the transport priorities for people in Lytham and St Annes are more likely to be centred on Blackpool for shopping and leisure than they are through a half-hourly DMU to Preston. The tram extension is needed more.

Chester1

Established Member
I still maintain the smartest thing is to extend the Tram system to Lytham, and then just run a half-hourly service on the main line network from Lytham to Preston etc.

Let's be brutally honest, the transport priorities for people in Lytham and St Annes are more likely to be centred on Blackpool for shopping and leisure than they are through a half-hourly DMU to Preston. The tram extension is needed more.

That will upset heavy rail purists!!!

I agree. If line speeds can be increased at a reasonable cost then it would be possible to run heavy rail services to St Annes On The Sea at a half hourly frequency (17 minute journey time cut to 13-14 minutes). The trams could run on a parallel single track as far as budget and timetabling allows e.g. Lytham.

daodao

Established Member

A good compromise solution.

tbwbear

A good compromise solution.

Is there even space to put two lines parallel all the way between Ansdell and Lytham ?

They built on the track bed near Cambridge Road didn't they - or can space be found there ?

DJ_K666

Although the last few times I’ve used the train on the branch (roughly four times a year) I have been hoping for a pacer, and it has been a 150 or 156 every time.
That's a classic example of Sod's Law!

That said I do know two people who own mk1 dual door Leyland Nationals. There's a trip out with my name on it when I get back down south for a visit. Not sure when that'll be though

The Planner

Veteran Member
That will upset heavy rail purists!!!

I agree. If line speeds can be increased at a reasonable cost then it would be possible to run heavy rail services to St Annes On The Sea at a half hourly frequency (17 minute journey time cut to 13-14 minutes). The trams could run on a parallel single track as far as budget and timetabling allows e.g. Lytham.
You would need to cut it down less than 13 minutes to be reliable.

Gareth

Established Member

I agree. I think the Trams To Lytham campaign has lost the plot now, in that they want to now retain the entire heavy rail service through to Blackpool South; all to avoid upsetting anyone.

Removing the heavy rail element west of Lytham was actually a big part of the benefits; namely, the operating costs of running heavy rail relative to light rail. A lot of these dual tram & train stops they propose involve a bridge to get people over the railway, which wouldn't be necessary if it was dual track light rail. The alignment was built at grade which has meant plenty of bridges and flyovers have been built. Some of these could've been done away with upon conversion to light rail - certainly pedestrian ones. Connecting to the existing tramway at Starr Gate would've allowed the rail alignment north of there to be decommissioned entirely, saving on maintenance. The right of way could be used for something else, perhaps a foot & cycle path, plus altering the road flyover at Lytham Rd to be at grade, plus the redevelopment of the Blackpool South station site.

A single line for each the tram and the train complete with passing loops is also rather awkward; certainly for the tram service with 4+tph frequency. Either do it properly or leave it as it is.

Last edited:

daodao

Established Member
I agree. I think the Trams To Lytham campaign has lost the plot now, in that they want to now retain the entire heavy rail service through to Blackpool South; all to avoid upsetting anyone.

Removing the heavy rail element west of Lytham was actually a big part of the benefits; namely, the operating costs of running heavy rail relative to light rail. A lot of these dual tram & train stops they propose involve a bridge to get people over the railway, which wouldn't be necessary if it was dual track light rail. The alignment was built at grade which has meant plenty of bridges and flyovers have been built. Some of these could've been done away with upon conversion to light rail - certainly pedestrian ones. Connecting to the existing tramway at Starr Gate would've allowed the rail alignment north of there to be decommissioned entirety, saving on maintenance. The right of way could be used for something else, perhaps a foot & cycle path, plus altering the road flyover at Lytham Rd to be at grade, plus the redevelopment of the Blackpool South station site.

A single line for each the tram and the train complete with passing loops is also rather awkward; certainly for the tram service with 4+tph frequency. Either do it properly or leave it as it is.

Well put. I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.