• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gateline Shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

monsento

Hi im starting with SWT soon and was wondering about what shoes to buy, im not that familiar with UK Retail anymore what brand does everyone else in the industry here wear? any pointers welcomed cheers!!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andy-mc

Just something hard wearing, comfortable and anti-slip, I would have thought they'd supply them though? when I worked on the platform we were give doc Martin work shoes, although we (very rarely) could have been required to walk on the track so think they had too supply them

EM2

Established Member
I would recommend a boot with thick soles. Station floors are generally cold stone or tarmac, and you really feel the cold with a thin sole!
Magnum and Dr. Marten are well-favoured.

LETHLFH

Have you not filled in uniform request forms yet? I would be surprised if a toc wasn't providing anti slip shoes/boots as part of your ppe.

Tubeboy

I would have thought SWT would supply you suitable footwear? On the tube, with the new uniform, the shoes are by far the worst item. Comfy enough, but poorly made. So many shoes are wearing out they've hastily brought in an interim replacement which are even worse.....

I bought myself a pair of Magnums off Amazon. They're excellent.

Nym

Established Member
Another vote for Magnums if you're going to be buying your own, depending on if you prefer boots or shoes either way they're rather nice.

I haven't worn shoes in a very long time, when I was working on stations and platforms I'd be in Magnum Gripfasts (old) or issued safety boots (horrible!)...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I would have thought SWT would supply you suitable footwear? On the tube, with the new uniform, the shoes are by far the worst item. Comfy enough, but poorly made. So many shoes are wearing out they've hastily brought in an interim replacement which are even worse.....

I bought myself a pair of Magnums off Amazon. They're excellent.

The "interim" shoes were actually brought out because it was discovered that some of them had a metal plate in the sole!

Lrd

Established Member
The "interim" shoes were actually brought out because it was discovered that some of them had a metal plate in the sole!
They also potentially had traces of animal in them which meant some religious staff refused to wear them.

Monty

Established Member
I'm not sure if SWT provide safety footwear for Gateline staff, you won't be expected to use a wheelchair ramp or go anywhere near the track. I certainly wasn't provided with any when I was a RPA. Only were given the option to order them when I became a guard.

So in short, unless you have a safety critical role I don't think you will be provided with footwear. Though as Nym said if you can get a hold of a decent pair of Magnums you are on to a winner.

Need2

They also potentially had traces of animal in them which meant some religious staff refused to wear them.
I thought most if not all shoes/boots were made of leather anyway, what were the 'interim' shoes made of?

Status
Not open for further replies.