• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GatEx 387’s on loan to Great Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class455

Established Member
Created this thread to keep track of the GX 387’s which are due to move on loan to Great Northern before the May timetable change. The first unit to transfer over, 387201 is now at Hornsey depot completely debranded.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Created this thread to keep track of the GX 387’s which are due to move on loan to Great Northern before the May timetable change. The first unit to transfer over, 387201 is now at Hornsey depot completely debranded.
Is it known how long GN will use these for?

Will they still be painted in Gatwick Express red with Great Northern branding or will they be repainted or re-vinyled in white?
I assume there will be no interior changes as the ’native’ 387s still have Southern moquette/astroturf

Class455

Established Member
Is it known how long GN will use these for?
Until long term replacements for the Class 365’s (if needed) are found or when the Gatwick Station upgrades are finished, whichever comes sooner. Even if Gatwick Express returns at the next timetable change, they will be running a reduced service due to the Gatwick Upgrade project.
I wouldn’t be surprised if all the Class 379’s ended up at GN once released from Greater Anglia.

Will they still be painted in Gatwick Express red with Great Northern branding or will they be repainted or re-vinyled in white?
I assume there will be no interior changes as the ’native’ 387s still have Southern moquette/astroturf
They’ll still keep GX livery, they are only on loan after all. They’ll probably remain debranded I would imagine while they’re at Great Northern

adc82140

Established Member
I presume the 387/1 that was loaned to Gatwick Express a while back has long since returned?

David Goddard

Established Member
Are the GX units joining the general pool or are they likely to have specific duties?
Also, apart from the seats being red are there any other internal differences?

387star

On Moderation
Are the GX units joining the general pool or are they likely to have specific duties?
No they are identical

They were actually used by Thameslink for a short while when brand new.

When I was still a trainee in very early 2017 I drove one from Bedford to Brighton and into Lovers on its final journey

physics34

Established Member
Apart from a few extra luggage racks i believe not.

Chiltern006

GX has so much potential if the spec was like the HX 387s with maybe a half table or something.

anyways, back onto topic

AverageTD

I was not aware of this interesting

Heathrow Express have shown what an airport spec 387 should look like
Really? They're better than GatEx's but they're still in embarrassment compared to the 332s. The best place for the 387s are well away from any sort of "premium" airport service

CBlue

Does anyone really need armchairs and tables for a 30 minute jaunt to the airport? Before anyone says "but business travel" that's gone through the floor since covid - turns out videoconferencing is cheaper. Odd that.

Most people don't even catch the overpriced expresses anyway.

Chiltern006

I did the 387s on HX on Sunday and they were (surprisingly) much nicer than the 332s, much clearer announcements, seats firm but will definitely soften up

southern442

Established Member
Does anyone really need armchairs and tables for a 30 minute jaunt to the airport? Before anyone says "but business travel" that's gone through the floor since covid - turns out videoconferencing is cheaper. Odd that.

Most people don't even catch the overpriced expresses anyway.
This is true, but the fact that first class went from very lounge-esque on the 460s to literally just an antimacassar on the 387s whilst prices remain at a premium is shocking.
387s are much better suited to the kind of work they do on GN - a not luxurious but still high-spec interior and good ride quality for the not-quite-intercity services.

Established Member
This is true, but the fact that first class went from very lounge-esque on the 460s to literally just an antimacassar on the 387s whilst prices remain at a premium is shocking.
387s are much better suited to the kind of work they do on GN - a not luxurious but still high-spec interior and good ride quality for the not-quite-intercity services.

I don't think I've ever heard that said about 387s!

Chiltern006

HX 387s had a surprisingly good ride quality, must have upgraded it

all other 387 ride quality is abysmal

Fuzzytop

Pre-COVID the low capacity of the 387s made them feel very claustrophobic on the more popular Cambridge fasts. There are certainly very few comfortable places for standing. (Or sitting!)

I'm no expert but I must say the interior has never felt "high-spec" to me - it all seems a bit thrown together and cheaply done? The GX red looks at least a bit more contemporary than the increasingly dated Southern colour scheme.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Pre-COVID the low capacity of the 387s made them feel very claustrophobic on the more popular Cambridge fasts. There are certainly very few comfortable places for standing. (Or sitting!)

I'm no expert but I must say the interior has never felt "high-spec" to me - it all seems a bit thrown together and cheaply done? The GX red looks at least a bit more contemporary than the increasingly dated Southern colour scheme.

Probably made worse by the gangways being closed? So not like someone could walk forward to find a quieter coach if they board the train at the last minute

Gerard92

The Gangways have been open since the full 8 car introduction to Kings Lynn

it may be passengers are still not aware there open now

AverageTD

The GatEx ones at least have tables fitted

Just because the Heathrow ones in first class have the rock hard seats that everyone rightly dislikes on GWR it doesn't make them better
I'm more referring to the use of them on a "premium service". I always viewed HEX as a premium service that provided both speed and comfort as part of their hefty fee. Now with the 387s it seems like you're only paying for speed, perhaps that was just my idea rather than what HEX are offering, but the 332 did a fair job at providing both.

southern442

Established Member
I don't think I've ever heard that said about 387s!
After a few journeys on a 376 or similar you may change your mind :lol:

They could've done with a proper GN-style refresh, yes, but what I meant by high-spec was the 2+2 with armrests and tables. Whatever one's opinions about the seating, I would prefer travelling long-distance on these units with armrests and a full table than, say, a 321.

Mr Fenton

Until long term replacements for the Class 365’s (if needed) are found or when the Gatwick Station upgrades are finished, whichever comes sooner. Even if Gatwick Express returns at the next timetable change, they will be running a reduced service due to the Gatwick Upgrade project.
I wouldn’t be surprised if all the Class 379’s ended up at GN once released from Greater Anglia.

They’ll still keep GX livery, they are only on loan after all. They’ll probably remain debranded I would imagine while they’re at Great Northern
I think that they will receive Great Northern labels on them, I don't really know, but if I find out, I will tell you all.

Not sure, but I shall find out. mrfenton2019

Status
Not open for further replies.