• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gatwick Airport station upgrade

Jan Mayen

I don't think rail replacement buses at Gatwick are A Thing because it's almost unthinkable that engineering work would require a complete line closure north or south of the station. There are sometimes buses put on for stations to/from Redhill when engineering work blocks the slow lines but I think they use the local bus stands on the A23 under the south terminal.
The usual replacements are for the Reading Service, and happen a few times a year.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Minstral25

Established Member
The usual replacements are for the Reading Service, and happen a few times a year.

I caught a GWR replacement bus there just last week when the North Downs was closed - was ushered out the normally locked door to the Roadway, which was something new.

GTR generally do not use Gatwick for Replacement Buses, due to the charges made by Gatwick Airport. So if you are coming from Redhill you only get a replacement bus to Horley and you have to wait for a service for one stop to Gatwick and then wait for your service South from Gatwick - quite a flaff!

GoneSouth

I don't think rail replacement buses at Gatwick are A Thing because it's almost unthinkable that engineering work would require a complete line closure north or south of the station. There are sometimes buses put on for stations to/from Redhill when engineering work blocks the slow lines but I think they use the local bus stands on the A23 under the south terminal.
They definitely are a thing, I’ve been sat on many coaches to Guildford or North Camp

infobleep

Veteran Member
Not so. When the line between Guildford and Redhill is closed, they run directly buses from Guildford to Gatwick Airport.

I was on one recently.

Edit: I see others beat be to it on the next page.

So do GWR pay the airport to stop outside the station?

Somewhere

Its silly if the airport charge the railway for rail replacement by buses - they are after all bringing customers to the airport

takno

Established Member
Its silly if the airport charge the railway for rail replacement by buses - they are after all bringing customers to the airport
The company which owns Gatwick (and Edinburgh) airport is extremely focused on maximising revenue from passengers outside of the fees they charge airlines. The amount they charge per passenger for public transport, taxis or cars to arrive or depart is pretty extreme. I don't know anything about the arrangements at Gatwick, but it wouldn't surprise me if they aren't entitled to a cut on rail arrivals for historical reasons, but will charge per passenger for any kind of bus including RRB

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I don't know anything about the arrangements at Gatwick, but it wouldn't surprise me if they aren't entitled to a cut on rail arrivals for historical reasons

If you mean a share of the farebox, no they are not entitled to a cut of that.

Last edited:

foggy69

I had a look around the new concourse on Friday evening when GTR were having a bit of a meltdown. There didn't appear to be any train information showing all platforms, and the screens for platforms 1-4 were not working, which didn't help the situation when there was a lot of late running and platform alterations.

Hophead

Established Member
The company which owns Gatwick (and Edinburgh) airport is extremely focused on maximising revenue from passengers outside of the fees they charge airlines. The amount they charge per passenger for public transport, taxis or cars to arrive or depart is pretty extreme. I don't know anything about the arrangements at Gatwick, but it wouldn't surprise me if they aren't entitled to a cut on rail arrivals for historical reasons, but will charge per passenger for any kind of bus including RRB

If that's the case, you'll be pleased to know that Metrobus are able to absorb these fees and charge the same fare for a bus to or from the airport as they do for any other journey on their local network.

If those fees actually exist, of course.

takno

Established Member
If that's the case, you'll be pleased to know that Metrobus are able to absorb these fees and charge the same fare for a bus to or from the airport as they do for any other journey on their local network.

If those fees actually exist, of course.
I'm going primarily on Edinburgh, and what is happening at airports more widely. Wonderful news if they can't get away with it at Gatwick

bubieyehyeh

This is Gatwick Airport you are talking about :lol:
There was a period when both the escalators on platforms 1 and 2 for the south bridge were only up and so the only way down was to use a lift or the stairs. I was told the manager requested it to be like this. That was during the pandemic.

Now days one of them is at least set to be down. Makes much more sense.

On Tuesday this week, I had a tight connection at gatwick due to a late incoming train, so I got the escalator upto the new area from platform 7, only to find both escalators to platform 5&6 running in up mode, so used the lift to get down, but annoying, especially if it meant I missed the connection. Also it wouldn't be good if I was with a relative who won't use lifts.

infobleep

Veteran Member
On Tuesday this week, I had a tight connection at gatwick due to a late incoming train, so I got the escalator upto the new area from platform 7, only to find both escalators to platform 5&6 running in up mode, so used the lift to get down, but annoying, especially if it meant I missed the connection. Also it wouldn't be good if I was with a relative who won't use lifts.
Perhaps having the escalators in the up position is what the manager wanted, just as the manager wanted it to be the case for platform 1 & 2 in the past, although that later changed

The signage on platform 3 and 4 still has a large platform.7 sign at the London end and only signs for exiting and the airport on the Brighton end.

I assume when time and may be funding permits, these will be changed.

Tunnel Bore

I'm almost there figuring out the ways to change between platforms for the various versions of my commute.

There are two pairs of escalators between the new concourse and 5&6. The northern pair are both up. The southern pair are one up and one down. There is also a set of stairs between the two lifts down to 5&6. You can get between all the platforms on the new course without having to use a lift.

bubieyehyeh

I'm almost there figuring out the ways to change between platforms for the various versions of my commute.

There are two pairs of escalators between the new concourse and 5&6. The northern pair are both up. The southern pair are one up and one down. There is also a set of stairs between the two lifts down to 5&6. You can get between all the platforms on the new course without having to use a lift.
Thanks I was wondering if there were more options, but haven't found a updated station map, or had enough time between trains to have a scout around

Somewhere

I've always thought Gatwick is one of the worst places to change trains. All depends upon which trains you're changing between I suppose, there might not be much choice!

pembroke

I've been through Gatwick a few times since the so called improvements. Today, typically, Redhill ....change at Gatwick, onwards to the south coast. The main point is poor signage, the north stairs are blocked and the only escalator deposits you in a large "atrium" without well defined platform signage. More importantly, there is a lack of departure screens throughout the station and no "next train to" screen. Arriving on platform 6, no coffee stand, no toilets and hard, open air seating for transit pax. (Mustn't forget the tiny lounge at the far end of the platform!) In all these designs,( thinking of the underground/St Pancras/Kings Cross exchange) the impression is given that the longer the walking distance, the better! Talking to platform staff, they said that the upgrade designer had little rail experience, is that correct?

infobleep

Veteran Member
I don't actually know what the point of the large "atrium" is. The only ticket barriers from there are set to exit only.

Perhaps someone with more insight and understand can explain all of this more clearly.

I think the exit only is not good, especially when arriving on a rail replacement bus.

Yes you can walk round by why don't staff walk you round the long way to catch the rail replacement bus, if it's so easy?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I've been through Gatwick a few times since the so called improvements. Today, typically, Redhill ....change at Gatwick, onwards to the south coast. The main point is poor signage, the north stairs are blocked and the only escalator deposits you in a large "atrium" without well defined platform signage. More importantly, there is a lack of departure screens throughout the station and no "next train to" screen. Arriving on platform 6, no coffee stand, no toilets and hard, open air seating for transit pax. (Mustn't forget the tiny lounge at the far end of the platform!) In all these designs,( thinking of the underground/St Pancras/Kings Cross exchange) the impression is given that the longer the walking distance, the better! Talking to platform staff, they said that the upgrade designer had little rail experience, is that correct?
Exactly what i thought a couple of days back. After the Birmingham New St debacle over wayfinding you would have thought they would have learnt.

FenMan

Established Member
I changed trains at Gatwick on Tuesday, the first time since the new facilties have been opened. I was changing from Plt 2 to 6.

Purely by chance, I opted to use the southern escalator, turned left and found myself in a brand new large and eerily empty space (I was the only passenger there) with screens giving details of the next trains leaving from each of Plts 4-7. It felt a bit weird, but the facility makes a nonsense of the 10 minute non-GTR minimum connection time at Gatwick (I arrived on a GWR service). 5 minutes i.e. the minimum for GTR interchanges, is perfectly adequate.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I changed trains at Gatwick on Tuesday, the first time since the new facilties have been opened. I was changing from Plt 2 to 6.

Purely by chance, I opted to use the southern escalator, turned left and found myself in a brand new large and eerily empty space (I was the only passenger there) with screens giving details of the next trains leaving from each of Plts 4-7. It felt a bit weird, but the facility makes a nonsense of the 10 minute non-GTR minimum connection time at Gatwick (I arrived on a GWR service). 5 minutes i.e. the minimum for GTR interchanges, is perfectly adequate.
The interchange time according to BR Times Web site is 5 minutes for Southern to Southern or Southeastern to Southern and Southeastern to Southeastern.

Everything else is 10 minutes. I think someone on this forum may have said the Southeastern ones had been removed but if so it's still showing in BR Times. Southeastern hasn't run services into the station since the noughties.

Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
I'm sure Southeastern ran more recently than that. Certainly well into the 2000's.
I think the "naughties" is usually intended to mean the decade 2000 - 2009 ;). At least, that's what I read it as.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
I think the "naughties" is usually intended to mean the decade 2000 - 2009 ;). At least, that's what I read it as.

Or even the noughties... or are we being told something about someone's lifestyle 20 years ago?

DelW

Established Member
Or even the noughties... or are we being told something about someone's lifestyle 20 years ago?
I was following the usage of a previous poster (since corrected), but I suspect it was the Curse of AutoCorrupt rather than a comment on anyone's naughtiness ;).

Somewhere

I would have thought Gatwick is probably one of the worst places to change trains. Change somewhere else!

cuemaster

I would have thought Gatwick is probably one of the worst places to change trains. Change somewhere else!
I recently changed trains there due to incident on the line, going to the coast changing from Thameslink to class 387 train. Good choice, very comfortable!

FenMan

Established Member

So I travel from my local station (Blackwater) heading for Brighton, Lewes or Hove. Where else would you suggest I change?