• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gatwick Airport to Central London on ASLEF strike day: 31st May

Status
Not open for further replies.

philosopher

Established Member
Due to the ASLEF strike, what is the best option to get to Central London on the 31st May?

My flight arrives at 19:15. As I see the options are:
1) Get a taxi all the way. This seems to be the most convenient, but will also be very expensive and I do not want to be waiting in a two hour queue for taxis
2) Get a taxi to Dorking then an SWR service to Central London. National Rail website says SWR are largely not impacted the strike
3) Book a hotel at Gatwick and travel to Central London on the 1st June
4) Travel by coach

I have already booked a coach for 21:10 to Central London with a refundable ticket that allows me to change the time of the coach, however my main concern is that if the flight is delayed, I will not be able to board a later coach as they will all be full due to the strike. Gatwick seems to have poor coach links to Central London compared to other London airports, the coach I am using takes a somewhat convoluted route via Heathrow.

During previous ASLEF strikes, or disruption severely impacting Gatwick Airport, what have people done?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
l had no choice but to drive to the airport last time. l'm assuming this is now too late for you (perhaps because you've already started your trip or you don't have access to a car)? Could you consider a car hire? Even with no rail service disruption l've seen huge waits for the taxi service at Gatwick. You could also consider pre-booking a transfer in advance to avoid the inevitable shortage of vehicles in the area.

however my main concern is that if the flight is delayed, I will not be able to board a later coach as they will all be full due to the strike.
Have you considered booking a later coach as a precautionary measure and either biting the bullet of waiting around in Gatwick if the flight is on time or hoping they'll let you travel early? At least this way you have a higher chance of actually travelling even if it results in unnecessary waiting if the flight is on time.

Veteran Member
Depending on your final destination, an alternative might be by local buses!

If Googlemaps is correct, bus 100 to Redhill and 405 to Croydon would allow departures at 2143 and 2243, with a journey time of 1h15. I haven't looked further for night buses or the Overground, and I have no idea how tolerable the journey would be :(

JonathanH

Veteran Member
If Googlemaps is correct, bus 100 to Redhill and 405 to Croydon would allow departures at 2143 and 2243, with a journey time of 1h15.
The journey on the 100 is fine. It goes round the houses a bit in Horley but they usually put a double decker out on strike days.

The interchange for the 405 at Redhill can be a bit tight if the 100 picks up delay boarding passengers at Gatwick.

From Croydon, there is then the option of 468 on to Elephant & Castle, various buses to Brixton, 50 to Stockwell, and indeed other combinations of routes.

philosopher

Established Member
l had no choice but to drive to the airport last time. l'm assuming this is now too late for you (perhaps because you've already started your trip or you don't have access to a car)? Could you consider a car hire?
I do drive, but I am not a very confident driver, particularly in Central London so would rather avoid this.

Have you considered booking a later coach as a precautionary measure and either biting the bullet of waiting around in Gatwick if the flight is on time or hoping they'll let you travel early? At least this way you have a higher chance of actually travelling even if it results in unnecessary waiting if the flight is on time.
Ultimately I think it boils down on how likely I am going to be able to catch a later coach if my flight is delayed. If the odds are not great then this suggestion is sensible. The coach I have booked probably gives me 30 minutes leeway for flight delays but not any more. I have checked the stats for my flight in March and April and it has an 79% punctuality with the average delay being 33 minutes.

Ultimately I think it boils down on how likely I am going to be able to catch a later coach if my flight is delayed. If the odds are not great then this suggestion is sensible. The coach I have booked probably gives me 30 minutes leeway for flight delays but not any more. I have checked the stats for my flight in March and April and it has an 79% punctuality with the average delay being 33 minutes.
Personally, I would book a later coach for certainty (in the knowledge that I could have to wait an extended period in the terminal) and add the 'change and go' extra from NatEx allowing you to board an earlier one if space available and flight conditions permit.

Delayed flight?​

For just £5 each way, our Change & Go Add On lets you be completely flexible with which coach you board to and from the airport
Board any available coach 12 hours before or after your original departure time.
So if your flight is delayed, then there's no need to panic; you can just hop on the next available coach.
Simply add the 'Change & Go' option to your ticket in the Add Extras section of the booking process.

Status
Not open for further replies.