• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GB News

thenorthern

Established Member
Yes - such a large gap that it has to be filled with many publications such as the Sun, Mail, Express etc.

Indeed although they are all print publications it seems there was a gap in the market for broadcast.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

birchesgreen

Established Member
Its a News Channel, I would expect to hear ... news; by Sunday I will have consigned Wednesday's paper to recycling.
They seem to have a problem with keeping the scrolling ticker tape up to date though thats the least of the channel's shortcomings.

They seem to have a problem with keeping the scrolling ticker tape up to date though thats the least of the channel's shortcomings.
If I was an advertiser I wouldn't be pleased that the scrolling ticker tape is shown continuously through the adverts which are also not shown full screen and are in poor definition.ki

matt_world2004

Established Member
It seems the channel has blown it's £60 million budget on the on-screen talent and spent next to nothing on the behind the camera talent.

They should at least hire production assistants to filter through the emails that the presenter reads out ffs

brad465

Established Member
Yes - such a large gap that it has to be filled with many publications such as the Sun, Mail, Express etc.
Absolutely and thus far they don't actually seem to offer up much news. It is all right wing comment and editorialist thought. Those rules mean they have to behave however I am sure pressure will come to water down the OFCOM guidelines just as there is pressure from part of the media, especially the Murdoch media, to change the BBC
The Sun and the Mail are easily the highest-selling newspapers. A TV channel aimed at a similar audience would appear to be a good commercial proposition. I'm not sure GB News is that though; where are the celebrity gossip, sport and scantily clad young ladies?
The Sun has actually been written down to a worthless asset by Murdoch (yippee!), so one wonders how long it has left before being closed altogether?

With regards to OFCOM we have to remember the Government are trying to get Paul Dacre in charge of it, in the hope he'll allow incidents that incriminate the Government to go unchecked. The appointment is over 6 months late and after an independent panel ruled out choosing him, the Government are trying to get another panel to re-run the process (so they can get the result they like ;) ). At the very least though the longer this takes the less time there is for things to change, in terms of proximity to next election and the possibility of Johnson leaving office before then (Dacre is also in his 70s so who knows if he'll want to do this for long).

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The Sun has actually been written down to a worthless asset by Murdoch (yippee!), so one wonders how long it has left before being closed altogether

The influence over governments and government policy it gives him is worth more than mere corporate money! Why give that up? The Sun is the highest circulation daily paper with around 1.2m copies a shifted everyday. That is nothing like the old days but still access to lots of people and their thoughts.

The Campaign group, Stop Funding Hate, have been actively trying to get advertisers to stop advertising with GB News - and I'm sure that has something to do with it. I have to admit to some puzzlement as to why they are trying to do that. I've watched GB News intermittantly and not seen anything particularly objectionable - and certainly nothing hateful - on it, so I don't see any reason for Stop Funding Hate to target them. Stop Funding Hate has a page dedicated to getting advertisers to avoid GB News, but I can't find any information about why they are targeting GB News. My suspicion is that it's just based on GB News being somewhat right wing - which in a democracy is really no reason at all to refuse to advertise with them.
I think Stop Funding Hate should be renamed “Stop Funding Things We Don’t Agree With” I think that would more accurately sum up their mission.
Also why a lot of advertisers seem to be willing to immediately comply to the demands of this minority group is a mystery to me.

brad465

Established Member
The influence over governments and government policy it gives him is worth more than mere corporate money! Why give that up? The Sun is the highest circulation daily paper with around 1.2m copies a shifted everyday. That is nothing like the old days but still access to lots of people and their thoughts.
You make a good point. The question I'm wondering though is what happens when 90 year old Murdoch's time on earth is up? His son certainly is diverging from his line of thinking, leaving Rebekah Brooks, but I don't know if she has the same clout as News UK's chairman.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I think Stop Funding Hate should be renamed “Stop Funding Things We Don’t Agree With” I think that would more accurately sum up their mission.
Also why a lot of advertisers seem to be willing to immediately comply to the demands of this minority group is a mystery to me.
I think the sheer ineptitude of the product has been a big factor as well to be honest.

Typhoon

Established Member
I think the sheer ineptitude of the product has been a big factor as well to be honest.
Exactly. It won't have been the first case where advertisers have moved away from a seemingly failing or unpopular product, particularly if it is their agent that has chosen to advertise there not the company itself. 'Stop Funding Hate' may claim victory, but they would, wouldn't they. Companies will keep quiet, walk away, and their adverts might start cropping up on, say, Talk Radio or LBC instead.

I don't know the answer to this but would there not be a few hours of 'pilot' broadcasting made available to potential advertisers so they can see what they were getting (and so the production team could get up to speed)?

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Does anyone actually recommend watching GB News? It appears to me, to be a channel where you go to hear things you want to hear, rather what you need to hear. It is like it is the WWE equivalent of news broadcasting - ‘news entertainment’ is probably the most accurate description.

thenorthern

Established Member
From what I understand though there are two types of people that GB News is trying to target.

The first and most obvious type of person is someone who is "Right wing" and feels that other broadcast news options are too woke and left wing. In recent years things like Brexit, Boris Johnson and Donald Trump have pushed the BBC impartiality rules to the limit. Other things like many say the Black Lives Matter protests last year as a bad thing because they were breaching lockdown rules, committing acts of vandalism and made comments by activists that were seen as problematic. The BBC however kept calling the protestors "brave" and would often point out they were "mostly peaceful" which meany viewers didn't agree with.

Another type of viewer that they are targeting is people who think the news doesn't cover things they are interested in. Think about it how many stories are there about domestic US Politics on BBC News that are irrelevant to the United Kingdom? Think about it did Brett Kavanaugh being appointed as a US supreme court justice really need to be the main headline on BBC News at Six? Does the BBC really need a nightly news programme about domestic US Politics on BBC News and a Weekly podcast? GB News is apparently going to have much more UK News which let's face it is most relevant to UK viewers.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The first and most obvious type of person is someone who is "Right wing" and feels that other broadcast news options are too woke and left wing. In recent years things like Brexit, Boris Johnson and Donald Trump have pushed the BBC impartiality rules to the limit.

More accurately, the BBC was obsessed with being "balanced". Which it interpreted as matching every expert global economist warning of the risks of the Brexit against Barry from down the pub (or Sheila in a high street in the North on a Tuesday afternoon) who reckons we should "go WTO" or "walk away".

. The BBC however kept calling the protestors "brave" and would often point out they were "mostly peaceful" which meany viewers didn't agree with.

It shows something of this modern world (and how we ended with Brexit) if people are empowered to disagree with something that is demonstrably and factually true.

thenorthern

Established Member
More accurately, the BBC was obsessed with being "balanced". Which it interpreted as matching every expert global economist warning of the risks of the Brexit against Barry from down the pub (or Sheila in a high street in the North on a Tuesday afternoon) who reckons we should "go WTO" or "walk away".

That is part of the problem, with Leave voters the media often went to run down areas to describe that as the face of leave voting Britain. Areas like Sevenoaks and Solihull got much less coverage yet both voted leave.

brad465

Established Member
From what I understand though there are two types of people that GB News is trying to target.

The first and most obvious type of person is someone who is "Right wing" and feels that other broadcast news options are too woke and left wing. In recent years things like Brexit, Boris Johnson and Donald Trump have pushed the BBC impartiality rules to the limit. Other things like many say the Black Lives Matter protests last year as a bad thing because they were breaching lockdown rules, committing acts of vandalism and made comments by activists that were seen as problematic. The BBC however kept calling the protestors "brave" and would often point out they were "mostly peaceful" which meany viewers didn't agree with.
While perfect impartiality is impossible, having extreme sides dominate everything means that merely reporting what's going on in the centre makes either left or right-wing individuals think the reporting is biased towards the other side. The post-truth world also increases the amount reporting what's actually going on is shouted down as biased, lying and/or exaggerated (e.g. Project fear).

Elsewhere there are so many issues it seems a Twitter account called @GBNewsFails has been setup to try and find them all. This one in particular caught my eye regarding introducing the weather (video in link):

Well, that's one way to introduce the weather #GBNewsFails

thenorthern

Established Member
While perfect impartiality is impossible, having extreme sides dominate everything means that merely reporting what's going on in the centre makes either left or right-wing individuals think the reporting is biased towards the other side. The post-truth world also increases the amount reporting what's actually going on is shouted down as biased, lying and/or exaggerated (e.g. Project fear).

Elsewhere there are so many issues it seems a Twitter account called @GBNewsFails has been setup to try and find them all. This one in particular caught my eye regarding introducing the weather (video in link):

In regards to the people watching it to complain the shareholders will be loving that as it's more viewers which is good for advertisers as advertisers like more viewers. Also many of the people watching it to complain are under the age of 30 which advertisers love as they are more likely to buy things.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I used to have a certain amount of time for Andrew Neil, when he was tearing into those politicians who made themselves available (i.e. not Boris Johnson, and others of that ilk) on BBC television, but he could never be accused of hiding his light under a bushel. He actually has an extremely large head for his body size (doubtless he'd claim in order to accommodate his brains!) but he's always been guilty of 'pushing' certain characters in public life, mostly those who, if not obsequious, are prepared to indicate they value Neil's opinions, or not argue too hard against them. If they are Scottish, so much the better, so such disparate characters as Salmond and Galloway are included (though both, I note, are happy to promote themselves on Russia Today.) He'll hate having been discarded by the BBC and will see it as a personal crusade to oppose those who he considers responsible, a bit like some of those politicians he's ever keen to promote. His time has gone.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

Another type of viewer that they are targeting is people who think the news doesn't cover things they are interested in. Think about it how many stories are there about domestic US Politics on BBC News that are irrelevant to the United Kingdom? Think about it did Brett Kavanaugh being appointed as a US supreme court justice really need to be the main headline on BBC News at Six? Does the BBC really need a nightly news programme about domestic US Politics on BBC News and a Weekly podcast? GB News is apparently going to have much more UK News which let's face it is most relevant to UK viewers.

I think that's a pretty good summary, and is my understanding too. Somewhat impressed that you seem to have described those two groups of viewers in a way that doesn't seem to show any bias either way towards whether you think those people are right or wrong.

jfollows

Established Member
I think that's a pretty good summary, and is my understanding too. Somewhat impressed that you seem to have described those two groups of viewers in a way that doesn't seem to show any bias either way towards whether you think those people are right or wrong.
I agree, this and a lot of posts on this thread are very interesting and informative and balanced.

I tend to think of all TV news as "entertainment" and don't like any of it. My preferred news medium is radio plus newspapers, the latter because I want them to be opinionated and the former because I want the facts. My preferred radio news is Newshour on the BBC World Service at 9pm; I discovered the World Service on medium wave in Oxford in 1980 and I've been a convert since then, and now it's easy to listen to.

I don't think this new TV channel is for me, but I really need to try again to watch it just to be sure, once the lips are moving in sync. with the sound anyway. I certainly used to have time for Andrew Neil in that he tended to ask the questions I wanted to ask and he tended to interrupt when I felt the people he was interviewing were waffling. There are many TV and radio interviewers who interrupt when I'm listening to the answer, and that's really annoying.

thenorthern

Established Member

It's probably due to my line of work which is in the media. At the end of the day viewers (or consumers as they are now called) have very little brand loyalty and like any other industry you want their custom which calling them "Gammons" and making content that doesn't appeal to them is not a good way of attracting them.

With GB News though it will be interesting if it works. LBC going national in 2014 radically changed the radio market although few industry people thought it would. Times Radio on the other hand was seen as big when it launched but it's not doing as well as hoped.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
With GB News though it will be interesting if it works. LBC going national in 2014 radically changed the radio market although few industry people thought it would. Times Radio on the other hand was seen as big when it launched but it's not doing as well as hoped.
Times Radio is doubtless meant to appeal to people like me and my wife who've both been Times readers for decades and listen to the radio all day when home, and in the car too, but I've never bothered to seek its waveband out. When Mars introduced Mars Bar ice creams I weaned myself off my addiction to their confectionery, despite my liking ice cream hugely too, because I felt they were making a presumption that I'd become hooked on that product too and I wanted to prove them wrong. I have now tasted the product a few times and don't greatly rate it, as well as considering it too expensive. GB News may be making what I consider to be the same mistake. It's not only 'woke' media that can take their customers for granted!

birchesgreen

Established Member
Thought i'd watch again to see if they have improved yet. Simon McCoy seems to have aged 10 years in a week.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thought i'd watch again to see if they have improved yet. Simon McCoy seems to have aged 10 years in a week.
Presumably he's staring himself in the mirror each day saying over and over: "The money was worth leaving the BBC. The money was worth leaving the BBC." :lol:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I’ve been watching it every day and think it covers quite a good gap in the market; the channel name perhaps a bit of a misnomer as it was never intended as a rolling news channel like BBC or Sky News.

I can’t help but cringe at the number of problems they’re having. It’s improved since Sunday & Monday where it was so dark you couldn’t see what was going on properly. Timings need to get a bit better too; they introduced the weather earlier and had to string it out a bit as they were about ten seconds early, and then at the top of the hour they had to abruptly cut a guest off as the intro was about to roll.

thenorthern

Established Member
Times Radio is doubtless meant to appeal to people like me and my wife who've both been Times readers for decades and listen to the radio all day when home, and in the car too, but I've never bothered to seek its waveband out. When Mars introduced Mars Bar ice creams I weaned myself off my addiction to their confectionery, despite my liking ice cream hugely too, because I felt they were making a presumption that I'd become hooked on that product too and I wanted to prove them wrong. I have now tasted the product a few times and don't greatly rate it, as well as considering it too expensive. GB News may be making what I consider to be the same mistake. It's not only 'woke' media that can take their customers for granted!

Times Radio is DAB so it doesn't have a frequency in the normal sense. Times Radio is very good quality although it's not getting as many listeners as expected.

I’ve been watching it every day and think it covers quite a good gap in the market; the channel name perhaps a bit of a misnomer as it was never intended as a rolling news channel like BBC or Sky News.

I can’t help but cringe at the number of problems they’re having. It’s improved since Sunday & Monday where it was so dark you couldn’t see what was going on properly. Timings need to get a bit better too; they introduced the weather earlier and had to string it out a bit as they were about ten seconds early, and then at the top of the hour they had to abruptly cut a guest off as the intro was about to roll.

It's designed to replicate the North American News Channels.

johncrossley

Established Member
Times Radio is DAB so it doesn't have a frequency in the normal sense.

Strictly speaking, DAB does have frequencies, but the technical details are largely hidden from the user. Times is on the Sound Digital multiplex which is on frequency block 11A (216.928 MHz).

Worm

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, GB News had mega-crank Lady C (Colin Campbell's wife) on the show yesterday to discuss whether Epstein was a paedophile or an ephebophile, as if there is some sort of important distinction. Not exactly a stunning editorial decision, to be honest!
There was an internal NHS report into the findings after the Jimmy Saville scandal and it noted that a psychologist scalded any attempts to make the exact same distinction in Saville during the hearings as a rightly unnecessary waste of time.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They seem to have got a big name signed up; Nigel Farage has a regular slot at 10am - Midday on Sundays. In addition to his weekday evening show, he used to have a show on LBC radio at the same times on Sundays until June last year.

tbtc

Veteran Member
They seem to have got a big name signed up; Nigel Farage has a regular slot at 10am - Midday on Sundays. In addition to his weekday evening show, he used to have a show on LBC radio at the same times on Sundays until June last year.

I wouldn't be surprised if they start announcing some high profile names over the next couple of weeks - have the "soft launch", get the channel up and running and then introduce some people from LBC/ Talk Radio etc - don't announce Piers Morgan too early, let the station bed in before you unleash the "big guns"

What has surprised me so far is that they haven't (as far as I've noticed) introduced the "token liberal" - in the way that Fox News would sometimes have a counterfoil, e.g. Alan Comes to Sean Hannity - or LBC have James O'Brien in midmorning to follow Nick Ferrari - in fact having someone like Ash Sarkar would not only counteract the accusations that it was only biased in one direction but it'd also get the right wingers agitated enough to phone/tweet their views (in the way that some car crash presenters are so bad that you just have to keep listening to/ watching them to find out what objectionable thing they'll say next). Maybe George Galloway - he's worked with Murdoch companies before so he's not going to be too proud to take money from Andrew Neil and his mysterious backers.

GB News need to keep your audience angry and scared and sometimes the best way of doing that is by showing the worst excesses of the other side - e.g. Andrew Neil's late night show on BBC One was careful to balance the photogenic articulate right wing Micheal Portillo with the slightly clumsier Dianne Abbott (who the right wingers must love to hate) instead of a Blairite