• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GB News

Basil Jet

On Moderation
-'Talking Pints' appears to have been dropped (I have to say the constant interviews with sports personalities was getting slightly boring)
I used to fast forward through the Farage show, just reading the banner and stopping for the odd article, but I loved Talking Pints and always watched it unless it was a sportsman. I guess I'll be fast-forwarding the whole show now!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brad465

Established Member
This evening Jacob Rees-Mogg spoke with Marina Purkiss, a pro-EU commentator. The latter had previously said they'd turned down multiple invites to appear on GB News, but when JRM offered, her desire to speak with him directly overrode it, so she appeared:

Marina Purkiss humiliates Jacob Rees-Mogg. He fumbles, obfuscates, and shames himself throughout.

Video attached

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not quite sure I agree with the caption on that video, especially when a number of the “facts” she tried to give weren’t true.

Typhoon

Established Member
Not quite sure I agree with the caption on that video, especially when a number of the “facts” she tried to give weren’t true.
There is a counter view to the video at https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/oth...p&cvid=1cb8f062c41f4dfab0f5319084034d3f&ei=10
Jacob Rees-Mogg found himself in a furious clash with political commentator Marina Purkiss over whether or not Brexit has been a success. The former minister accused Ms Purkiss of "abuse" in her critique of Brexit, saying: "All you're doing is mere abuse, you're not making any arguments". Speaking on Jacob Rees-Mogg's State of the Nation on GB News, she hit back: "Tell me how I'm wrong. Okay, tell me I'm wrong.

"Let me ask you a question. When you said to people that Brexit was going to bring cheaper food, clothes, footwear and drinks..."

The MP for North East Somerset interrupted: "It will! All of this is in progress!"

But she asked: "But when Jacob?"

The former minister explained: "Joining the CPTPP, the free trade deal with Australia, the free trade deal with New Zealand.
From watching (admittedly only part of) the video and reading the article, seems to be an awful lot of heat and not much light. To me, this is another reason for not watching GB News, if this is typical I will be little wiser and not particularly entertained, No more than verbal WWF.

brad465

Established Member
I tried to find a video version/link with no caption or an unbiased one (something like "here's Purkiss and Rees-Mogg talking on GB News" and nothing more), but it was impossible.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
'Talking Pints' appears to have been dropped (I have to say the constant interviews with sports personalities was getting slightly boring)
Talking Pints was on tonight’s show but I’m guessing it was prerecorded as Farage was wearing a different tie and it was filmed in the Westminster Tower studio but the rest of the programme came from the Paddington studio.

Guido Fawkes reports that GBNews are to build a new studio in the QE2 conference centre just off Parliament Square.

Not sure if this is to be in addition to the studio they rent in Westminster Tower on the south side of Lambeth Bridge, or whether it will replace it.
They don’t seem to have broadcast any programmes from Westminster Tower since Sunday, this week’s Farage and State Of The Nation have all been from the Paddington studio, wonder if they have stopped using it (the studios there are available to rent from a private company), so wonder if they’re getting ready to launch the other studio, or it’s just money saving.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Has 30pLee started yet? Maybe he trashed the old studio and they had to move out...

365 Networker

They don’t seem to have broadcast any programmes from Westminster Tower since Sunday, this week’s Farage and State Of The Nation have all been from the Paddington studio, wonder if they have stopped using it (the studios there are available to rent from a private company), so wonder if they’re getting ready to launch the other studio, or it’s just money saving.
Farage started broadcasting from Westminster tower in April 2022, so I suspect the lease has come to an end.

Talking Pints was on tonight’s show but I’m guessing it was prerecorded as Farage was wearing a different tie and it was filmed in the Westminster Tower studio but the rest of the programme came from the Paddington studio.
Perhaps this is the new format for Talking Pints - pre recorded and only once a week. It certainly allows them more control over it - they can edit out any boring sections etc.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Farage started broadcasting from Westminster tower in April 2022, so I suspect the lease has come to an end.
I don’t think they leased it - the studio was still advertised as available to rent and I’ve seen other things filmed from the same studio in different places in between. I suspect it was just rented on a regular basis.

update 30/04

Camilla Tominey Show this morning broadcast from Westminster Tower so either someone else rented it last week or maybe they’re cutting back the number of shows broadcast from here as presumably they pay per hour.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
The House of Commons Register of Members’ Financial Interests as 2 May 2023 reveals that Rees-Mogg is being paid £32,083.34 for 40 hours’ work including preparation. Various other MPs are getting smaller sums, often for one-off appearances, but (Esther) McVey is also receiving large sums, although the hourly rate isn’t so high, as is Philip Davies’ (a.k.a. Mr Esther McVey). Poor Lee Anderson is only getting 30p., sorry, £100,000 a year, payable monthly for 8 hours a week.

So where is this money coming from and who, and why, are they paying out?

Cloud Strife

Established Member
So where is this money coming from and who, and why, are they paying out?

The owners. They're gambling that digital will pay off, as they're pumping out a huge amount of content online. It seems that their true aim is to try and dominate the online right wing space, but I just don't see it happening for them.

Gloster

Established Member
The owners. They're gambling that digital will pay off, as they're pumping out a huge amount of content online. It seems that their true aim is to try and dominate the online right wing space, but I just don't see it happening for them.

Look at the who Braverman took on her party-political jolly, sorry, vital fact-finding trip to Rwandan March. GB News, Daily Mail, Sun, Express, Telegraph, Times were all invited, but not the Guardian, Mirror or Independent. The BBC were not invited either, but an Africa-based team managed to negotiate some access locally.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They could be in trouble here.

GB News programme which broadcast claims that the Covid-19 vaccination programme amounted to "mass murder" has been found to have broken Ofcom rules.

The claims were made in an interview with Naomi Wolf on a show hosted by Mark Steyn last October.

Ofcom received 422 complaints about the comments, and has now asked GB News to attend a meeting on the matter.

GB News said it accepted Ofcom's findings and it welcomed the opportunity to meet with the watchdog.

MikeWM

Established Member
They could be in trouble here.

I saw that program at the time and thought Wolf was a bit over-the-top, but I'm not sure why her views shouldn't be able to be aired on what is clearly a comment show. I'm betting most of the 422 complaints were due to a Twitter campaign rather than people actually watching the show at the time.

(Steyn has started legal proceedings against Ofcom over the previous ruling against his show, no doubt he'll now add this to the lawsuit. I'm not entirely sure on what grounds he's suing - while I find these Ofcom rulings problematic, I'm not sure how they can be seen as illegal).

I'm more concerned at the moment about the credibility of GBNews' twitter feed - they've taken to sensational and nonsensical weather reporting (heatwaves! storms! etc. etc.) over the last few weeks. Which is odd, as the weather forecasts they broadcast from the Met Office are actually pretty good.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
but I'm not sure why her views shouldn't be able to be aired on what is clearly a comment show
Of course this is the same completely nonsense argument Fox News and other right wing media have used in the US, trying to claim that a channel that presents itself as news somehow is not news.
I'm more concerned at the moment about the credibility of GBNews' twitter feed - they've taken to sensational and nonsensical weather reporting (heatwaves! storms! etc. etc.) over the last few weeks.
Probably just an attempt to match their weather reporting with their "news" reporting!

MikeWM

Established Member
Of course this is the same completely nonsense argument Fox News and other right wing media have used in the US, trying to claim that a channel that presents itself as news somehow is not news.

I think it is fairly clear their evening offerings are commentary on the news rather than news itself, similar to the opinion section of newspapers. Now they explicitly have a news bulletin every hour that distinction is clearer still.

I don't see why that sort of offering shouldn't be available on our screens. Even if it is highly biased in a certain direction - people are perfectly capable of working out whether something is suitable for their tastes or not, the same as they've managed to work out which newspapers they'd prefer to read for the last few hundred years.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I think it is fairly clear their evening offerings are commentary on the news rather than news itself, similar to the opinion section of newspapers. Now they explicitly have a news bulletin every hour that distinction is clearer still.
Maybe they shouldn't be calling themselves GB News then?
I don't see why that sort of offering shouldn't be available on our screens.
Because we have seen what highly polarised political opinion channels masquerading as news does in other parts of the world - and it isn't a good outcome for anyone!
Even if it is highly biased in a certain direction - people are perfectly capable of working out whether something is suitable for their tastes or not, the same as they've managed to work out which newspapers they'd prefer to read for the last few hundred years.
I'd disagree with that actually. You still see people believing any old crap that is in the Daily Mail / Sun / People / Insert tabloid here because "its in the newspaper" and "they wouldn't lie". And that isn't a good thing either.

MotCO

Established Member
One thing I am disappointed about is the inability of GBNews to lip-sync video links. Is it really that difficult?

MikeWM

Established Member
Maybe they shouldn't be calling themselves GB News then?

I'm not sure why they are called GB News, to be fair. Not least the 'GB' bit, given they seem more keen on reporting on Northern Ireland than other news channels - you'd think they'd be called 'UK' something. Maybe that was taken.

Because we have seen what highly polarised political opinion channels masquerading as news does in other parts of the world - and it isn't a good outcome for anyone!

I'm not sure that is entirely true (I found watching Fox News rather useful when I first moved to the USA as a good guide as to what political positions *not* to take, for example 8-)

But even if so, I'm not sure GB News counts. Yes if eg. they were totally pro-Tory - and I've said myself on this thread that their trend towards employing increasing numbers of Tory MPs doesn't seem a good move - but in general the non-Tory presenters moan about the Tories as much as anyone else. They do have specific points-of-view, yes, but so do all the other news channels on an ever-increasing number of issues. And I'd argue that GBNews had a rather better record on questioning covid nonsense than all the other news channels, for example, which was really rather important.

I'd disagree with that actually. You still see people believing any old crap that is in the Daily Mail / Sun / People / Insert tabloid here because "its in the newspaper" and "they wouldn't lie". And that isn't a good thing either.

I'm no fan of the tabloids - or indeed nowadays the broadsheets - either, but what's the alternative? Tight state regulation of newspapers to block dissenting voices? (which, again using covid as an example, the dissenting voices turned out to be correct rather more often than the official state narrative...)

Gloster

Established Member
Talking Pints back today - live this time, with Kari Lake - Republican candidate.

Someone who refused to accept Trump’s defeat and called for those who did to be imprisoned. She has also refused to accept defeat in the Arizona gubernatorial contest, and went to law to get the result overturned and herself declared the winner: most of this has failed in the courts, but one bit is still rumbling on. She has one or two other individual (‘wacky’) opinions. So a voice of reason and moderation on GB News.

She makes Taylor Greene and Boebert appear positively sane and rational.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Farage probably makes more money in the US these days, where he can be spoken of as some sort of hero (many Americans believe he was a MP rather than an MEP that never turned up, as well as other falsehoods he has spread) so it all makes sense that he's prepping himself to grift during the next US election.

He's pretty much done in the UK and not taken seriously by anyone, with new grifters taking his place.

brad465

Established Member
We've seen it all now, Farage stripped off to Right Said Fred on GB News this evening:

Watch the moment Farage at Large took a turn as the GB News presenter began to strip off as Right Said Fred closed the show.

Performing their hit ‘I’m Too Sexy’, Right Said Fred prompted Nigel Farage to take off his tie and begin unbuttoning his shirts much to the delight of the live audience in Bournemouth.

After taking questions from the audience, Nigel handed over to popular music duo Right Said Fred who rose to fame in the 1990s with smash hits such as ‘I’m Too Sexy’ and ‘Up’.

The music soon got Nigel moving, before he proceeded to whip off his tie and begin to unbutton his shirt, all while Premier League legend Harry Redknapp watched on.

dosxuk

Established Member
I saw that program at the time and thought Wolf was a bit over-the-top, but I'm not sure why her views shouldn't be able to be aired on what is clearly a comment show.

As Ofcom have said, there is nothing wrong with broadcasting even very controversial content - however, it always needs to be presented with context or countered with differing opinions (especially where mainstream opinion differs). GB News / Mark Steyn could have avoided this entirely by having someone with an opposing view argue with her, and/or by clearly (and repeatedly) stating that these are her personal opinions and that they differ from what the authorities / science community believe. Ofcom don't mind if you leave the audience to make up their minds about a controversial opinion, but they do require that the audience are informed that there are alternatives.

The crux of these issues though is that they basically just contracted these shows out to Mark Steyn, who has no knowledge of UK broadcasting regulations, no fear of the regulator and no desire to do what he's told to do - hence his throwing his toys out when he got told he would become liable for any fines he might accrue. His attempts to appeal these decisions will go nowhere, simply because there is no right to complete freedom of speech in the UK, and the rules that he broke cover everybody.

One thing I am disappointed about is the inability of GBNews to lip-sync video links. Is it really that difficult?

Yes, it is. Audio/video sync is one of the most difficult (and annoying) day-to-day broadcasting challenges. Video and audio often travel through completely different signal paths, both collecting differing amounts of delay. If you're using things like Teams or Zoom for contributors it becomes even worse, as the sync can change on a second to second basis at the source - and you have very little idea of where each bit of delay actually comes from in order to compensate for what is fixed and what is variable.

Sky News, BBC News and ITN all have dedicated areas for technical staff to "line up" contributors and fix basic audio/video issues before they are offered to the production team to go on-air. The budget operations just have this done by the live crew in whatever time they have while also operating the programme you're watching, so naturally it's going to have more issues.