• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF confirms conversion of Class 56s to Class 69s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Given the determination of spotters that every item of motive power has to have a nickname, I propose it be 'Fnarr-fnarr' for the Class 69s, so that all those who are making jocular remarks about something that the vast majority will undoubtedly never have actually experienced can get it out of their system and move on... :s

Rail Blues

Given the determination of spotters that every item of motive power has to have a nickname, I propose it be 'Fnarr-fnarr' for the Class 69s, so that all those who are making jocular remarks about something that the vast majority will undoubtedly never have actually experienced can get it out of their system and move on... :s

Blimey the long, dark evenings at your place must fairly fly by.

And on your final point, speak for yourself :lol:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Elsewhere (or possibly this thread) someone suggested Ying-yangs which is both SFW and works on two levels...

DarloRich

Veteran Member

That is the winner. Close the internet! ;)

Mikey C

Established Member
Trying to drag this thread back from the gutter :E, is there a reason why they've given them a new Class code, rather than just making them a sub code like the 73/9?

GB

Established Member
Trying to drag this thread back from the gutter :E, is there a reason why they've given them a new Class code, rather than just making them a sub code like the 73/9?

Perhaps theres more modification involved in this and that warrants a new class code? I have heard it suggested that everything below sole bar is 56 and every thing above (bar body) is 66.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Okay I think it's time to move on from the jokes ;)
Hmm.
I wonder if they should’ve perhaps considered using class 65 instead?

Also, once you’ve gone up to 69, where else is there to go..?

Veteran Member
47543 was the first loco fitted with SEPEX, and 58050 had it from new for trials, though it was later removed. All the Class 60s have it, though.
I have heard the SEPEX/creep control on the 60s described as "earthquake mode" - an apt description I feel, having felt the vibrations at Shipley.

Having now read ainsworth74's stricture, it is perhaps a relief that the 69s won't be so equipped.

plarailfan

Sounds a great way of having a decent locomotive, with a long life, for a reasonable cost ! I wonder if these re-engineered 56's will be used on the Trans-Pennine route upgrade and HS2 projects ? I guess a lot of infrastructure trains will be running over the next few years.

On Moderation
Hmm.
I wonder if they should’ve perhaps considered using class 65 instead?

Also, once you’ve gone up to 69, where else is there to go..?
The class number will in very large part be dictated by the availability of suitable gaps in the numbering sequence, as until the recent change to 6-digit vehicle numbers for DMUs and EMUs the same 5-digit sequence was used for unit car numbers and locos. As an aside, many of the numbers in the 56xxx series are now taken by Turbostar vehicles.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The class number will in very large part be dictated by the availability of suitable gaps in the numbering sequence, as until the recent change to 6-digit vehicle numbers for DMUs and EMUs the same 5-digit sequence was used for unit car numbers and locos. As an aside, many of the numbers in the 56xxx series are now taken by Turbostar vehicles.
That’s a good point.
Actually I think you may have patiently explained that to me before on a different thread somewhere?
I definitely could do with some extra memory storage at times.

On Moderation
That’s a good point.
Actually I think you may have patiently explained that to me before on a different thread somewhere?
I definitely could do with some extra memory storage at times.
Can you still get RAM upgrades?!
:D

It does illustrate what a dumb numbering system we have, though.

And to your original point about where you go once you get to 69, surely the question should be “where do you go when you get to 10” and the answer is, of course, that you go up to 11 because it’s one louder.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can you still get RAM upgrades?!
:D

It does illustrate what a dumb numbering system we have, though.

And to your original point about where you go once you get to 69, surely the question should be “where do you go when you get to 10” and the answer is, of course, that you go up to 11 because it’s one louder.
But couldn’t you just alter the numbers so that it still says 10..?

gg1

Established Member
What was the reason in choosing 56s instead of 58 or 60s?

In addition to the earlier comments, the narrower body of a 58 may make a conversion more difficult or impossible.
Would an EMD 710 (or alternative in a similar power range) even fit in a 58 bodyshell at all?

furnessvale

Established Member
In addition to the earlier comments, the narrower body of a 58 may make a conversion more difficult or impossible.
Would an EMD 710 (or alternative in a similar power range) even fit in a 58 bodyshell at all?
I know the US has a wider loading gauge but their locos in general have a walkway each side which is wider than a class 58 walkway.

ps To further the discussion, a SD40-2 has an engine hood width of 7ft which contains a 710 engine. A class 58 has a cab width of 8' 11". If the walkways on a 58 are around 1ft wide there is no problem. Anything more would need to be looked at.

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The body of a 58 between the cabs is non-structural and essentially just there to protect the internals. So I imagine it could have been replaced by something wider, losing the walkways, if necessary.

DelW

Established Member
ps To further the discussion, a SD40-2 has an engine hood width of 7ft which contains a 710 engine. A class 58 has a cab width of 8' 11". If the walkways on a 58 are around 1ft wide there is no problem. Anything more would need to be looked at.
On a minor point of order, SD40-2s have 645 engines as standard, although Wikipedia says a small number have been rebuilt with 710s. I don't think it affects your point though, since I think the external dimensions of the engine blocks are identical.

hwl

Established Member
An early 710 should fit but the later ones (UIC2 / Euro3a) have more pipe work (e.g. split cooling systems) so would without the adjusting the non structure body work. Anything fitted now would be EuroIIIA.

hwl

Established Member
On a minor point of order, SD40-2s have 645 engines as standard, although Wikipedia says a small number have been rebuilt with 710s. I don't think it affects your point though, since I think the external dimensions of the engine blocks are identical.
710 block /engine are slightly taller

Helvellyn

Established Member
Could have gone lower given the gaps in the 53xxx and 54xxx series.

Harbornite

Established Member

Me likey...