• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRf London Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray.Mc

Hello Everyone,

I've been offered a position as a Train Manager (train driver) at GBRf at one of their London depots.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what the rosters is like, examples of start and finish times?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Regards

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rail-god

On Moderation
GBrf use a white roster. You find out what your working on Friday before the week. Sunday inside

U agree to your work rest days unless u opted out.

6 hours stand by at home. Then given a max12 hour turn. Max 18 hours on duty.

Start and finish time. There are 24 hours in a day and it can be anytime.

Good luck

jackluker

Hello Everyone,

I've been offered a position as a Train Manager (train driver) at GBRf at one of their London depots.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what the rosters is like, examples of start and finish times?

Regards
Hi Ray,

I hope you don't mind me asking when you applied with GBRf? I completed both stages of the psychometric tests back in March last year however am still waiting to hear back from them for an interview!

Ray.Mc

Hi Ray,

I hope you don't mind me asking when you applied with GBRf? I completed both stages of the psychometric tests back in March last year however am still waiting to hear back from them for an interview!
Hi Jack,

I am already a qualified driver, I am currently working as a qualified train driver but fancy a change so only recently applied for a position with GBRf.

rail-god

On Moderation
12 hour days plus 1 hour travel in your own time.

Oh and lots of night ballasts.

Good Luck

Welshman04

Ive seen alot of people say you work 12 hour days at GBRf, if youre rostered to work a 35 hour week then do the hours balance out or does it get paid as overtime? or are they making you work 12 hour days 4 days a week with no compensation?

Hello Everyone,

Regards
How are you finding working with GBRf? Did you come from a TOC previously? I recently applied for a job with GBRf so just doing a little digging incase I get an interview

Crazyb

I like the speculation on hours and times and how people look at freight world....I hardly worked nights and not much before 5am either, though we did lodge......

I left the freight side a few years back, I didn't work for GB but we used their messrooms in some locations. I'm actually out with a GB guy Saturday, but he's not based at Wembley or Ferme Park

The 12 hours and start/finish times....Its pending what depot you go to and what work that is at that depot, this would be something I would of asked at the interview....I'm not saying your don't work 12 hours in some cases, but there are jobs less than 12 hours....You do have AV, which is non timed spare, but I think they have datum times to sign you on, but if you get AV with a star, that's ballast spare turn....Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure of the conditions now, I think you can have PNB's in weird locations, like a service station, you can drive a car/van in your own time to a ballast, but they sort that out.

Wembley depot mainly do the sleeper work, Intermodal traffic and stone etc etc, but its pending where you sign if you are a qualified driver moving over. I'm not sure if you would ever sign Preston for the sleeper work. If they have enough drivers for that work, you may never get to learn the route. Again that's something you should of asked at the interview maybe, also ask for a roster to look at, if that's the depot in question.

Wembley I think is the better depot.

I can't comment on Ferme Park, but it used to be more of a ballast/aggregate depot.

The best thing I would do, is to go through your aslef diary and look for GB representatives and asked for some info. The guys are pretty much on the ball and all approachable.

Also look into the pension, unless your ex BR, check the pension you would go into.

Like I always say...Freight is not for the faint hearted...lol, I was glad they invented ipads!!!!!!!

Good luck

Driver0202

12 hour days plus 1 hour travel in your own time.

Oh and lots of night ballasts.

Good Luck
30 mins travelling in own time each way sometimes, doesn’t happen often . Sound very negative or bitter, no need for it.

Hooligan

GBrf use a white roster. You find out what your working on Friday before the week. Sunday inside

Good luck
Every depot has a roster and has done for at least 3 years!

GB

Established Member
30 mins travelling in own time each way sometimes, doesn’t happen often . Sound very negative or bitter, no need for it.

To add to that, if you are rostered the 30 minutes own time travel you will be provided with transport, be it hire car or taxi etc.

I don’t know what depot the op has applied for but looking at this weeks and next weeks roster for Ferme Park and Willesden there are only a hand full of jobs that are above 11.30hrs.

Good luck

Don’t know what you mean by “white roster”, but it comes out Thursday not Friday.
Yes you can opt in or out of RDW but you can also opt out and cherry pick (and negotiate) off the vacancy list. You can also opt in or out at will providing you give them the required notice.

6+12 is correct, it sucks and should never have been agreed but is actually very rarely used.

You can start at anytime but there are shift length restrictions booking on between 2200-2359. Your first turn of duty forms the basis of the rest of the weeks work….they can’t move you more than four hours so you can’t (or shouldn’t) be rostered for example, 0600-1800 Tuesday to Thursday then 1800-0600 Friday.

Last edited:

ggbrf

On Moderation
To add to that, if you are rostered the 30 minutes own time travel you will be provided with transport, be it hire car or taxi etc.

I don’t know what depot the op has applied for but looking at this weeks and next weeks roster for Ferme Park and Willesden there are only a hand full of jobs that are above 11.30hrs.

Don’t know what you mean by “white roster”, but it comes out Thursday not Friday.
Yes you can opt in or out of RDW but you can also opt out and cherry pick (and negotiate) off the vacancy list. You can also opt in or out at will providing you give them the required notice.

6+12 is correct, it sucks and should never have been agreed but is actually very rarely used.

You can start at anytime but there are shift length restrictions booking on between 2200-2359. Your first turn of duty forms the basis of the rest of the weeks work….they can’t move you more than four hours so you can’t (or shouldn’t) be rostered for example, 0600-1800 Tuesday to Thursday then 1800-0600 Friday.
Speak to your CC rep Barry Hare and will tell you what a "white roster" is. AKA no fixed rest day pattern.

"+12 is correct, it sucks and should never have been agreed but is actually very rarely used." yep it sucks but its in your t+c`s. WHY ? was there from day one.

Maybe cos a lot of MANAGERS(drivers) are NOT in Aslef?

Travel 30min in own time. AKA 13 hour shift, Crazy stuff.

No RPS pension. Do I need to go on !!!!

But it DOES happen. Bitter? YES very !!!!

Its my mission to make shaw NO drivers moves to GBRF

Hello Everyone,

Regards
Speak to Barry Hare, Aslef rep.

Ive seen alot of people say you work 12 hour days at GBRf, if youre rostered to work a 35 hour week then do the hours balance out or does it get paid as overtime? or are they making you work 12 hour days 4 days a week with no compensation?

How are you finding working with GBRf? Did you come from a TOC previously? I recently applied for a job with GBRf so just doing a little digging incase I get an interview
Your on annual hours. Based on a 34.5 hours week(was better than a 2% payrise. lol)

So you can work +50 hours per week then less next week etc..

Last edited:

GB

Established Member
Which depots have flexible rest day patterns? I am not aware of any in my immediate area. My rest days are fixed and where there is WTT work this is in the base roster as base turns so you should know what you are doing ahead of time...staff competency permitting. Obviously if you are at a depot with a lot of ad-hoc work then things might be a bit different regarding base turns.

Annualised hours are not a new thing and has been a part of GB from the beginning. So yes you could be rostered 50+ one week then 30 the next but it all "should" even out eventually. You seem to have forgotten that you can choose to be "managed" and if you do reach your contract target before the end of the contract year you have the right to have the rest of the time off or continue to come in as OT.

Not sure why you are getting bent out of shape over the 30 minutes own travel. It is only used when booking on/off from home to go to a remote job and is no different to commuting (in your own time) to your depot and then doing a 12 hour turn. (unless you live next to the depot).

I'm not going to pretend its all rosy, but it is certainly not as bad as you and others make out.

Last edited:

whoosh

Established Member
I did see a Ferme Park Driver's roster once. It did have rest days on it and repeated every four weeks, but I don't think there were any booked jobs - the working days could be any time starts.
I seem to remember it was two weekends off in those four weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.