• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF Stockport/Manchester trainees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LRV3004

Grand Central have formally announced that they are permanently abandoning their Blackpool North to London Euston services because of the economical impact of Covid. All staff subsequently redundant. ☹️

TeaTrain

Wow that's quite a surprise. I mean I guess I am fortunate that I am still being paid to stay home from TPE at the moment! I haven't even started my training but they have paid me since March.

The thought crossed my mind that I may be made redundant too. But my manager has assured me I'm ok. Still... It's pretty scary times!

iwasyoungonce

Hi all thought this might be of interest, don't know if it is the contract they were recruiting for but ah well.

As part of the deal with EKFB, GBRf will support the training of new train drivers at their new state-of-the-art twin-simulators near Peterborough where the UK’s first and only full-cab freight European Rail Traffic Management System (ERTMS) simulator centre is located.

LRV3004

Oh dear.....now been given a potential start date with my current employers to go on a driving course. Now puts me in a predicament! Do I stay loyal or jump ship to a more local location (with no guarantee of job security)?

YingYing

Oh dear.....now been given a potential start date with my current employers to go on a driving course. Now puts me in a predicament! Do I stay loyal or jump ship to a more local location (with no guarantee of job security)?
Personally, I'd snap their hands off if you've been given a start date. You can always look at moving once you've got your key, but if you pass it up and this one falls through, where would that leave you?

LRV3004

Personally, I'd snap their hands off if you've been given a start date. You can always look at moving once you've got your key, but if you pass it up and this one falls through, where would that leave you?
My thoughts exactly! A Cross Country driver did tell me when I was route learning that I should take the first offer. It has left me with mixed feelings though! I did really fancy working for GBRF as they are a good operator, and the Stockport depot would have been ideal for me, however with Covid and no cast iron offer of employment, I have had some doubt as to whether these roles will even go ahead.
My current employers have given me a potential start date, which alleviates the worry of my psychometrics expiring, plus I’ll be staying loyal to them. In addition, I’ll be starting with the same group I started with back in 2018 so it will be good for us all to be back in the same training group again! It’s just the damn commute I’ll need to keep doing!!! But, in fairness, I did know what I was signing up for when I put pen to paper.
The only other thing I’m concerned about is if I withdraw from GBRF, could I potentially get stung with the cost of the medical? When I joined my current operator, it said in my contract that if I withdrew my application after the medical, I would be liable for the costs of the medical. Would that be the same with GBRF does anyone know?

YingYing

My thoughts exactly! A Cross Country driver did tell me when I was route learning that I should take the first offer. It has left me with mixed feelings though! I did really fancy working for GBRF as they are a good operator, and the Stockport depot would have been ideal for me, however with Covid and no cast iron offer of employment, I have had some doubt as to whether these roles will even go ahead.
My current employers have given me a potential start date, which alleviates the worry of my psychometrics expiring, plus I’ll be staying loyal to them. In addition, I’ll be starting with the same group I started with back in 2018 so it will be good for us all to be back in the same training group again! It’s just the damn commute I’ll need to keep doing!!! But, in fairness, I did know what I was signing up for when I put pen to paper.
The only other thing I’m concerned about is if I withdraw from GBRF, could I potentially get stung with the cost of the medical? When I joined my current operator, it said in my contract that if I withdrew my application after the medical, I would be liable for the costs of the medical. Would that be the same with GBRF does anyone know?
I had a promising interview with them earlier in the year but have since heard nothing which I suppose is to be expected with the unstable environment we find ourselves in. I'd quite like to work for GBRf and like you, Stockport would be an ideal location for me. I suspect though they wanted someone in that area so they'd be within driving distance of places such as Dove Holes, Trafford Park and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.